E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Bad Coil???

07-16-2012, 10:19 AM   #1
GOTMH8N
Stay Classy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Sport

Bad Coil???

I have been driving with JB4 in Map 5 but have been getting the warning light when I go WOT. I also am having a soft sputter at idle and from the research I have done it sounds like a bad coil. To check I need to clear codes, switch the coil, and drive until the code pops again correct? The plugs were just changed before I bought the car, which is leading me to believe it may be a bad coil. The idle engine sputter isn't bad but it's there so something is up. So, I have changed to the stock map in the meantime.

I tried using the steering wheel controls to "read codes" but I couldn't figure it out lol Do I need to download some sort of JB4 computer software to read codes/ data log on the laptop? Also, I do have the USB/OBD II cable.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 10:21 AM   #2
JStang
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: FDB M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTMH8N View Post
I have been driving with JB4 in Map 5 but have been getting the warning light when I go WOT. I also am having a soft sputter at idle and from the research I have done it sounds like a bad coil. To check I need to clear codes, switch the coil, and drive until the code pops again correct? The plugs were just changed before I bought the car, which is leading me to believe it may be a bad coil. The idle engine sputter isn't bad but it's there so something is up. So, I have changed to the stock map in the meantime.

I tried using the steering wheel controls to "read codes" but I couldn't figure it out lol Do I need to download some sort of JB4 computer software to read codes/ data log on the laptop? Also, I do have the USB/OBD II cable.

Thanks!
Figure out which cylinder is giving you the misfire and swap that coil with the coil from another cylinder. If the code follows the coil, you've got a bad coil.

Pretty simple solution and good luck!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 10:24 AM   #3
GOTMH8N
Stay Classy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Sport

I want to get this figured out asap because there is a $25 dyno special going on at a local performance shop that I am trying to hit up but clearly don't want to do it with a possible bad coil
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 10:26 AM   #4
benzy89
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.50]
If you go to COBB's blog, in the BMW section there is a video for "Diagnosing Misfires". Part of the video specificially references ignition coils & moving them aroudn
Appreciate 0