E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Clutch Advice

View Poll Results: Which clutch would you choose?
ACT Street 8 22.86%
SPEC Stage 2 27 77.14%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

01-21-2013, 10:27 AM   #45
Rotary Rasp
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT

So far the clutch feels great. The pedal is slightly heavier than stock, but to be honest, it still feels oem and I wouldn't guess it was aftermarket if I didn't already own a MT 335i. I have no chatter whatsoever. In fact, it's completely silent and buttery smooth.

So far I love it.
      01-21-2013, 12:30 PM   #46
GRIDLOCK
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotary Rasp View Post
I had the clutch installed on Friday by GRIDLOCK. If anyone needs shop work done in the south bay area, he is your man. He kept me informed throughout the process and literally sent me 20 photos as he was doing clutch swap. He was very knowledgeable and straight forward with possible problems and most importantly, price. I highly recommend.
Glad to be of service! I appreciate the business, thank you! Hope your new clutch set-up works out for ya!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 10:37 AM   #47
Rotary Rasp
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Just wanted to report back now that the clutch is broken in.... (~400 miles on it)

Overall, the clutch is fantastic. Last weekend I did a brake/clutch fluid flush. After bleeding the clutch, the engagement is considerably more linear which actually makes the pedal "feel" lighter. (the old fluid was original and very DIRTY)

I'm still using an aftermarket clutch stop which causes the clutch to engage after about an inch of upward travel. From the beginning, I was planning on putting the stock clutch stop back in but I'm pretty satisfied with how it feels now, so I'm going to leave it.

I'd like to note that the dealer has billed BMW twice for a brake flush over the warrantied service life of my car. It was last done about 9 months ago before I was out of warranty. I can tell the difference between 9 month old and 49 month old brake fluid, mine was clearly the later....

It's such a shame how some dealers/mechanics screw BMW.
      01-30-2013, 07:47 PM   #48
Rotorocious
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Glad to hear. My spec 2+ comes in tomorrow from back order
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 01:16 AM   #49
Rotary Rasp
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorocious View Post
Are you installing it yourself?
      02-01-2013, 07:09 AM   #50
Rotorocious
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotary Rasp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorocious View Post
Are you installing it yourself?
Not this time. I did the ACT myself a year ago and it wasn't worth the time.

A great shop here in Tallahassee is doing it. (SS performance)
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 06:59 PM   #51
qubansailor
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

So here is my story:

I replace my stock clutch with a CM stg 3 Fibertough about a 1.5 yrs ago. The shop that did the work said that no one could/would resurface my FW and that it was barely within spec to leave it as such. As i didnt have much choice, I just went ahead and had the work done. The engagement point was about an inch or so from the floor and slightly heavier pedal feel. As you might imagine I am used to it by now so its no big deal. The biggest PITA for me was the internal resonance I heard within the cabin from idle to 2k rpm. It sounds like vibrating drone and rear center console. After the break-in period, the car certainly held up quite nicely. However, after less than two years with the clutch I am now in need of another one. I feel kinda screwed because of the shop not having resurfaced the FW and the clutch slipping already even though I've never launched the car.

After having read several threads about this it appears as thought SPEC2+ is the way to go. MY question is now about the FW; stock DMFW or SMFW (steel), I don't want chatter so no aluminum FW for me.

I hear the stock DMFW is causing misfire errors while at higher rpms.

Any inputs?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 01:38 AM   #52
thetedderbear
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fiesta ST

Just installed a spec stage 2+ and I love it. Doesn't feel stiffer while driving, only when holding it down at red lights do I notice it being firmer. Drives different than stock for sure but I like it, it's quick but not grabby. And it just holds. I got an aluminum flywheel too, and it chatters a lot, but so worth it. It makes the engine so snappy and responsive.
Appreciate 0