E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > replacing turbos and DPs, diy or not?

06-12-2013, 05:05 PM   #45
Chris_506
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 f82

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaster3500 View Post
Wow! This is the exact reason I do all my work.
If i only had the time and tools..and a lift

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvn View Post
Good to see that you're up and running! Hopefully no more problems come up.
thanks man, car has been running flawless and reallyyyy strong so indeed hopefully that was the last of my issues
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 06:26 PM   #46
robc1976
DIYER
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSRe92 View Post
Well im suppose to get my car back at some point today guys and i have a word or two on this shop, this is about to be long and included lots or rant so read at your own discretion.

So i dropped off my car mid last week, when i dropped the car i spoke to a guy named Blair who is the service consultant he quoted me the 6-8 hrs of labor because the tech had done a few prior to blah blah blah which seemed cheaper then most and under half the cost of BMW so as you may imagine i was more then OK with it. I dropped the car off and by friday i had not head back so i decided to give them a call to see what the status was with the car, I spoke to Blair who then put me thru with the owner who told me they could not do the work because of the outstanding class action suit on the turbos and he didn’t want to be held liable. I was like huh? a) My carhttp://www.defivfabrication.com/n54.html has exceeded the mileage for the turbos to be changed under that suit and b) I don’t think you can be held liable for doing an automotive repair with the customers consent? So anyways he said he didn’t realize that and they would do it but he said it was a big job and lots of stuff had to come off(duh) so he said your car wont be ready today by then it was around 3pm. I said fine and figured if they didn’t start it today ill probably be looking at them working all day Monday 9hrs+a few hrs Thursday morning so I figured at this point id be looking at $900 give or take which although it was not what I was verbally quoted I came to terms with (I just wanted my car back at that point) Monday went by and Tuesday morning around 10am I got a call from the shop asking if I had any DP fix for the codes they would cause because they were about to put the o2 sensors back on and wrap it up so I told them just put it all in normally because the tune will auto delete the dp codes to which he said ok. I gave it about 4 hrs and went to the shop figuring that if at 10am they were putting the o2 sensors in then 4 hrs later the car must have been done, just seemed logical. When I got to the shop I noticed my car was on a lift and nobody was working on it, I was quickly taken in the back to where my car was so they could show me “ALL the stuff that had to come off and so the owner could wine about how this job was so stressful and the mechanic had been on it two whole days now(keep in mind they couldn’t have started before Friday at 3pm and they close at 5pm) he started telling me that’s a 17hr job at bmw and that they charge around $2500, they said that they called BMW and consulted and that they had it in text, one tech even threw out there that it was a 6K job at some point lol so I grew concerned and asked him how much my bill was going to be, he told me I was looking at AT LEAST $1500 but probably more(twice what I was verbally quoted). At that point I was beyond pissed and asked him how the hell would he charge me twice what I was quoted and not only not stand by that but not let me know before they went ahead with it, I told him should he have told me that Friday instead of beating around the bush saying it was gonna be a big job how much it was going to be I would have flat bed the car out of there and taken it somewhere else, he told his mechanic to drop the wrench and stop working on my car because I was gonna tow it away. I told him that’s not what I said I said if you would have said this Friday I would have done so not now that the car is near over, then he started telling me it wasn’t near done and that it would take them all day that day to finish it so not to expect it until the next day. At this point my wife was increasingly growing mad and about to blow the lid off and so was I so I said just finish it and call me when it is finished, I left the shop and took a stroll to BMW where I explained to the service advisor what was going on and he pulled up the job on the system which said that it was a 15.7hr job and at their 115/hr rate they would charge $1805 warranty and all included and he was sure to discount some off of that he was very helpful and courteous and he even printed the estimate signed it and attached his card to it, he told me give this to them and tell them we are the 4th best BMW service department in the country so they knew their shit and very well(the tech seemed pissed that an indy shop that has a rate of 90/hr were trying to charge me the same as them) he even called the tech to ask if there would be an extra charge to install the DPs BUT THIS IS WHERE IT GETS INTERESTING When the advisor asked the tech I heard the tech say that I must be the guy getting the turbos done at Import services of the Lowcountry(so this was the one saying OR NOT saying it would be $2500+) to this shitty shop and refused to really give out any info, the advisor contacted the senior tech who said no they would have no problems or extra cost putting on the DPs because the cats came off with the turbo regardless and he also told me that the dps (With them at least) would not affect the warranty on the parts or service. Well after a long chat with the advisor I left the dealership and 2mins after leaving the owner or the shop working on my car called me (I assume the tech from BMW told him I had been there) and said “look we don’t want to be on bad terms with you” so we will work it out and bring the price closer to $1300, we argued for a little but ultimately I just told them please finish my car and call me when it is ready. I got a call under 2hrs later saying it was done (by 3pm) huh miraculously it no longer needed all day within two hrs it was done, by then my wife(god I love this woman) had called and acquaintance of us that works for the BAR (Bureau of Automotive Repairs) who advised us to get our car back and file a complain thru our SC branch of BAR because they directly violated Automotive repair laws when they performed work on my car without having me sign a written estimate and a consent for it to be worked on(he did say take the advice with a grain of salt because laws vary by state) he also mentioned that they would open an investigation on the which they would look for paper trail of the work performed including such estimated and that would blow the lid on a broader investigation for other jobs they perform, a lack of paper trail by the shop could subsequentially lead to getting their license taken and my money refunded, but when I got to the shop the guy left the job at 1200, which was 13.5 hrs of labor and although not what quoted I felt it was fair. I get in my car and drive off and within 2 mins it stalls out, I bring it back and they try to tell me they don’t have the software needed to adjust the wastegates etc and just give me all these bs excuses, after an hr of them not figuring it out I asked them to pull the codes which were 3100 and 2ABC which I immediately recognized, I went to the charge pipe immediately and notice it was unplugged from the damn throttle body and the tmap sensor had a broken tab, the guy who test drove it after the work must have blown that shit right out and tried to feed me all this BS about it being something else. There was also a problem(clicking) on my steering when turning, I ended up leaving it there and asked them to call me when it was really REALLY fixed, I just got a call this morning so im going to get it soon so this saga isn’t over but this is pretty much until now how it has unfolded.

Honestly it has been such a shitty experience I haven’t completely discarded complaining with the BBB or BAR but I just don’t want to be that asshole, I guess we will see how today goes and this story continues to unfold.

SO HEADS UP NEVER TAKE YOUR CAR TO IMPORT SERVICES OF THE LOWCOUNTRY and pass on the word, they legitimately tried hard to rip me off my hard earned money and don’t seem to have a problem doing so to anyone else!
exactly why I DIY everything I can, when I did my RB'S I replaced every single gasket and have had no problems. I wonder if they purged the coolant system correctly?
JB4 G5, Stage 3 LPFP, Stage 2 MOTIV PI, VM 6466 ST, Custom OCC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2, DEFIV kit, KW clubsport, Delrin solid SF bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, M3 fenders, M3 OEM sideskirts, Mtech rear bumper, CSL trunk, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 07:08 PM   #47
Jeef
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by robc1976 View Post
exactly why I DIY everything I can, when I did my RB'S I replaced every single gasket and have had no problems. I wonder if they purged the coolant system correctly?
Agree with you, unless you have a very reputable shop... I don't believe installing car parts can honestly be that hard just my opinion though!
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 07:38 PM   #48
chirp-1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i xDrivePorsche 911 SC

Agreed. No matter how cheap I always do all my work myself. That way I know it's done properly.

Quote:
      06-12-2013, 08:02 PM   #49
robc1976
DIYER
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirp-1 View Post
Agreed. No matter how cheap I always do all my work myself. That way I know it's done properly.
Seems shops miss the little details, (vacuuming out head ports, replacing orings ect).
JB4 G5, Stage 3 LPFP, Stage 2 MOTIV PI, VM 6466 ST, Custom OCC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2, DEFIV kit, KW clubsport, Delrin solid SF bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, M3 fenders, M3 OEM sideskirts, Mtech rear bumper, CSL trunk, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 10:01 PM   #50
foghat
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Seems shops miss the little details, (vacuuming out head ports, replacing orings ect).
And, I bet, so would a lot of do it yourselfers....
Appreciate 0