E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Clunking sound from engine

07-04-2013, 11:29 AM   #1
a08335k
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

Clunking sound from engine

Hoping someone can help me as I am not sure if I should get my car towed to the dealer (under CPO) or to an Indy.

I have a 2008 335 and for the past few weeks was hearing a whining sound coming from the engine bay. Thought it was the one of the pulleys and dropped the car off at the dealership. In the 1 week they had the car they could not recreate the issue but ended up replacing the alternator as it was going south. 100 miles later I started hearing the whining sound again followed by loud clunking sound yesterday accompanied by a rubber burning smell and some smoke. Since the dealer could not recreate the issue I am assuming they checked all the pulleys etc and apart from the alternator gave the 'thumbs up' to other parts. Therefore since this did not happen before I am wondering if the repairs the dealer did caused this issue and it probably makes sense to take it back to them.

Can anyone tell me from viewing the video what could possibly be wrong and if in my position would you take the car to the dealership vs indy (car needs to be towed either way as I am not taking a chance of screwing something up major)

Below is the work order and the quick video I made today. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks and a Happy 4th to all!

[u2b]http://youtu.be/gv7Dp_s_iMg[/u2b]
Attached Images

07-04-2013, 01:00 PM   #2
loweredram
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 F80 M3

That sound reminds me of a belt tensioner going out. From what you are describing im thinking tensioner or idler pulley. The dealer can't duplicate it because they are not running the motor long enough. When my tensioner started going out I wouldn't hear noise until the motor was hot then the bearing would start to tighten up and drag the pulley and belt. I would definitely take it to the dealer that replaced the alternator . Did they tell you the alternator was going south or were you having battery / electrical problems prior? It sounds like you still have CPO send it back to the dealer you shouldn't have to pay the deductible because its the same issue you brought it in for originally.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 01:51 PM   #3
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by loweredram View Post
That sound reminds me of a belt tensioner going out. From what you are describing im thinking tensioner or idler pulley. The dealer can't duplicate it because they are not running the motor long enough. When my tensioner started going out I wouldn't hear noise until the motor was hot then the bearing would start to tighten up and drag the pulley and belt. I would definitely take it to the dealer that replaced the alternator . Did they tell you the alternator was going south or were you having battery / electrical problems prior? It sounds like you still have CPO send it back to the dealer you shouldn't have to pay the deductible because its the same issue you brought it in for originally.
I think CPO deductible is per visit, not per issue. Meaning if you fix 5 issues in one visit you pay $50, if you fix those same issues in 5 separate visits... it's going to be 5 x $50. I believe repeated visits for the same issue are also $50 deductible for the visit
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 02:01 PM   #4
loweredram
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazman View Post
I think CPO deductible is per visit, not per issue. Meaning if you fix 5 issues in one visit you pay $50, if you fix those same issues in 5 separate visits... it's going to be 5 x $50. I believe repeated visits for the same issue are also $50 deductible for the visit
Ya but I'm thinking if they changed the alternator because they "believed " it was the issue I wouldn't think BMW Would make him pay another $50. At least I hope they wouldn't lol .
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 05:06 PM   #5
a08335k
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Ya but I'm thinking if they changed the alternator because they "believed " it was the issue I wouldn't think BMW Would make him pay another $50. At least I hope they wouldn't lol .
Not too worried about the deductible but agree that it is the same area of concern as before. Getting it towed tomorrow morning to the dealership. Will update the thread with the diagnosis for others who might have similar issues in the future.
      07-04-2013, 05:08 PM   #6
a08335k
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Honestly I was surprised they did what they did cause I wasn't having any issues other than the whining sound which I took the car in for.
      07-05-2013, 12:49 AM   #7
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by a08335k View Post
Not too worried about the deductible but agree that it is the same area of concern as before. Getting it towed tomorrow morning to the dealership. Will update the thread with the diagnosis for others who might have similar issues in the future.
I'm curious if they charge you another deductible, please let us know once everything is settled. I hope they do not charge you anything, because your $50 is better spent on a nice dinner

- Faz
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 01:15 AM   #8
Wedge1967
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 e92 AT Sport Montego Blue

Quote:

It's per work order. If OP took the car in for a pully/belt issue, the dealer will re-open the same work order if he or she returns to have the related issue resolved. If you don't know what you're talking about, please don't comment.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 01:27 AM   #9
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedge1967 View Post
It's per work order. If OP took the car in for a pully/belt issue, the dealer will re-open the same work order if he or she returns to have the related issue resolved. If you don't know what you're talking about, please don't comment.
I thought I knew what I was talking about, but being human I guess I made a mistake. Sorry about that Wedge

I'm curious as to what the OP will experience, I hope you are correct! Being that this is a public forum, I would like to give you the finger, for the "please don't comment" bit. Because, if you are that stuck up you should just close up your account and leave these forums (hows it feel to be on the other side now buddy).
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 02:00 AM   #10
Wedge1967
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 e92 AT Sport Montego Blue

Quote:
I thought I knew what I was talking about, but being human I guess I made a mistake. Sorry about that Wedge

I'm curious as to what the OP will experience, I hope you are correct! Being that this is a public forum, I would like to give you the finger, for the "please don't comment" bit. Because, if you are that stuck up you should just close up your account and leave these forums (hows it feel to be on the other side now buddy).
Really? First off, you indicated you think witch is a clear indicator you don't know. Everyone appreciates assistance with valid information, but please... paint a clear picture. Regardless, I didn't mean to offend you and because I did, my apologies.

I think you'll find that I'll be one of the first people to lend a hand with what ever I can on this forum. I helped bring the Alpina flash to reality and have helped countless people get cars flashed and coded all over the country. So next time before you read too far into something and go off half cocked, maybe ask for clarification, as I honestly didn't mean to slam you for scaring the shit out of OP telling him he'll need to pay $50 every time he takes his car back for the same issue.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 06:01 PM   #11
a08335k
Private First Class
Rep

So here is the deal. The short and quick is the ac hub (I'm assuming cover) came off the pulley resulting in the clunking and the belt getting shredded which resulted in the burning smell. The SA said it would be another deductible but I was more worried about getting a loaner vs disagreeing over the deductible. However I am planning to discuss the issue with the SA once I go back to get the car...wish me luck. They don't have the ac pulley in stock so probably be early next week when I can pick up the car. Will surely update this thread.

Till then hating the 328i cause I took a road with tons of red lights and at every light the car would turn off....don't think I could ever get used to that...but that's for another thread.
      07-17-2013, 04:34 PM   #12
a08335k
Private First Class
Rep

Update - The issue was the AC compressor which was replaced.The belt was fine and was not replaced. Car is running fine without any noise and 'yes' I had to pay the $50 deductible.
      07-17-2013, 06:11 PM   #13
C.Pop
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Depending on your service advisor, and how articulate you are in defending your postition, you should be able to make a very simple argument that they were tasked to correct a deficiency upon your first visit which they did not resolve. It's nice that you got your alternator replaced but that's not why you were there. Had they performed due diligence in diagnosis, they would have done all of the work in one visit, hence one deductable. Perhaps not worth arguing over, but true none the less.
Appreciate 0