E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California > Place to check out my rear suspension

03-15-2014, 03:44 PM   #1
ewodzien
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 3.5d

Place to check out my rear suspension

Hi Guys:

I was hit by an idiot who backed into my rear quarter panel and hit my wheel.

Although the body work is complete and the car has been aligned, I get an uneasy feeling over certain bumps now and wonder if an upper control arm got bent or something.

I'd like an experienced pro to check out my rear suspension before I sign anything with the insurance shop. Can someone recommend a good shop to measure and possible repair my stock OEM sports suspension?
Previous rides:2011 335d Jet Black / Black w/ Sport Pkg - Loaded
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 04:17 PM   #2
deadmn1337
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EB 435i

Check the stickies in this section for auto shops people recommend in your area
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 04:48 PM   #3
geost
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M Sport

There's something wrong with my suspension (wobbles over bumps) and I read recommendations for Alekshop in Fremont. I have an appointment tomorrow with them to inspect my suspension so I can post back tomorrow if you'd like to see how it went. Here's their yelp: http://www.yelp.com/biz/alekshop-fremont
      03-15-2014, 05:52 PM   #4
ewodzien
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Yes please, I've had mixed results from Yelp reviews. I'd appreciate your report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geost View Post
There's something wrong with my suspension (wobbles over bumps) and I read recommendations for Alekshop in Fremont. I have an appointment tomorrow with them to inspect my suspension so I can post back tomorrow if you'd like to see how it went. Here's their yelp: http://www.yelp.com/biz/alekshop-fremont
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 05:55 PM   #5
RemovedUser
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Had a incident like that on a F150, truck has a solid rear axle, it took around 60k miles but eventually the diff exploded on the freeway, when the mechanic took it apart it was concluded the damage inside was conclusive with the accident.

Some of the arms are bushed which means they have some give, but I would want it checked out, it really depends on the severity of the hit, in my case a neighboor mistook the gas for the brake and hit it 15-20 MPH.

The truck actually moved about 2 feet from where it was parked.

Did you take it to a certified BMW shop? They are usually really good about this, and typically replace any mechanical component in the damaged area, a shop I know would have replaced all the suspension arms on that side.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 12:06 PM   #6
geost
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewodzien View Post
Yes please, I've had mixed results from Yelp reviews. I'd appreciate your report.
Sorry I meant Monday not tomorrow (Sunday) haha. I dropped off my car today at Alekshop. He'll take a look and call me back. I'll let you know if he finds anything (hopefully he does).
      03-17-2014, 12:34 PM   #7
Mahhvinn
EUROPROJEKTZ
United_States
Rep
Drives: backwards

Garage List
2008 E90 335i  [7.00]
Performance technic in Pleasanton or SPEEDLEMENT in San Jose

#TeamStretchNPoke
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 06:51 PM   #8
geost
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Ewodzien, I just got my car back and so far I'm very pleased. Aleks took my car for a test drive and noticed the wobble. He checked everything and it turns out the bolts on the subframe were loose so he tightened everything. I also brought my 19s to have him install them and get an alignment.

After all was said and done, the car drives sooooo much better. My rear passenger rim doesn't rub like crazy like before, and my car doesn't wobble anymore (so far!). I'm going to commute home in the car tonight to further test it out. He asked me to let him know through email or phone call to see how it is and if the problem went away completely.

The dealer had my car for a whole week and couldn't figure out what the wobble was. They eventually said it was "normal" and part of the suspension of the car. Aleks figured out the problem in one day and he seemed pretty honest with everything and how he explained his findings.
      03-18-2014, 06:10 PM   #9
Elliott@DetailAddict
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Glad everything turned out ok!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 05:54 PM   #10
ewodzien
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks SO much for your detailed review of your experience with Alekshop. I'll give him a call. And please keep me posted.

-Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by geost View Post
Ewodzien, I just got my car back and so far I'm very pleased. Aleks took my car for a test drive and noticed the wobble. He checked everything and it turns out the bolts on the subframe were loose so he tightened everything. I also brought my 19s to have him install them and get an alignment.

After all was said and done, the car drives sooooo much better. My rear passenger rim doesn't rub like crazy like before, and my car doesn't wobble anymore (so far!). I'm going to commute home in the car tonight to further test it out. He asked me to let him know through email or phone call to see how it is and if the problem went away completely.

The dealer had my car for a whole week and couldn't figure out what the wobble was. They eventually said it was "normal" and part of the suspension of the car. Aleks figured out the problem in one day and he seemed pretty honest with everything and how he explained his findings.
Appreciate 0