E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Bought a 335d with problem

03-09-2015, 10:37 PM   #67
blowinsmoke
Private
Rep
Drives: 335d

So I decided to test the leakage from my injectors to get to the bottom of the injector return line failures. I put a check valve in place of the broken return line restrictor. I will likely keep it in place. I like the idea that in the event of another return line failure from another bad injector, the car wont die and any fuel leakage would be limited to just what the injectors leak. Plus it would take a massive injector leak to cause any return line problem. Anyone attempting this leak test at home would need to either cap their return line down by the pump or replace their restrictor with a check valve as diesel fuel is free to pass either way through the restrictor. Unless anyone can dream up a reason, I'd say it's a better idea to have a check valve than a restrictor.

This is the amount of leakage after about 10-15 minutes of idling.

As you can see numbers 3 and 5 are likely to blame. I have the injectors removed, interestingly #5 has a broken hold down clamp.

I had faults indicating that #5 had some issues, but nothing to do with #3. The car ran good until you really ran it hard, then it would go into a reduced power mode. So go figure, as I have always believed, at the end of the day common sense trumps any computer.

It sure would be nice to get this car straightened out finally. I will report results. Again.
Attached Images

Last edited by blowinsmoke; 03-09-2015 at 11:00 PM..
Appreciate 2
      03-22-2015, 08:17 PM   #68
blowinsmoke
Private
Rep

I finally got this car to run without going into limp mode or blowing apart the fuel return lines.

I still do however have CEL. I ended up changing injectors 3 and 5 and the HPFP. It runs great.

I have 2 codes p2457 "EGR cooling system perform"
and p20ee "No DTC definition"

From my research looks like urea problems? Anybody got ideas?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2015, 10:56 PM   #69
blowinsmoke
Private
Rep

Ok, I have had enough!!!! I have had it with this cars systems!!! some exhaust parts are good as gone. Got a message from my perfectly running car that "Incorrect DEF has been added" or some crap like that. Anyway I have like 165 miles until no start. I suppose it may be a good time to find Jarek. PMs are appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 05:30 AM   #70
9mmkungfu
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335d, 535d, 750i, X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowinsmoke View Post
I finally got this car to run without going into limp mode or blowing apart the fuel return lines.

I still do however have CEL. I ended up changing injectors 3 and 5 and the HPFP. It runs great.

I have 2 codes p2457 "EGR cooling system perform"
and p20ee "No DTC definition"

From my research looks like urea problems? Anybody got ideas?
Yes, the P20ee code is related to the SCR (urea) system.

The 335d has had several programming updates since its introduction that helped to resolve many issues. You might want to make sure your DDE has a high integration level (up-to-date) so you can eliminate that as a possibility.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 11:58 PM   #71
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowinsmoke View Post
Got a message from my perfectly running car that "Incorrect DEF has been added" or some crap like that. Anyway I have like 165 miles until no start.
200mi warning usually points to your NOx sensor functionality. It is designed to prevent people placing water instead of the urea in the tanks. With the tune that is usually disabled and you can even remove your NOx sensors.
Appreciate 0