E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Help: BMWhat Coding: Gear Shift Indicator

04-29-2015, 04:22 PM   #1
chadrandom
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i xDrive

Question Help: BMWhat Coding: Gear Shift Indicator

Tools used: Bluetooth adapter for BMWhat Android and full license app from the Google Play store.

Car: 2011 e92 328i 6MT; n51 engine; sport package.

I am trying to code the Gear Shift Indicator function, however I cannot get it to work. I have marked all Gear Shift Indicator options as "active", and coding is identified as successful by the app. Howver, the up/down arrows are present on the left side of the odometer readout, yet there is no indication of when to shift gears (arrows should blink), nor what gear to shift into on the right side of the readout. I have watched some YouTube videos to see exactly how the Gear Shift Indicator is supposed to work, and I have searched all the forums I can find, but unfortunately my Gear Shift Indicator does not seem to be working properly.

Anyone have any thoughts on what might be going on here?

Many thanks,

Chad

Last edited by chadrandom; 04-29-2015 at 11:09 PM.. Reason: Additional details
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 06:49 PM   #2
wildcatcrazy69
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadrandom
Tools used: Bluetooth adapter for BMWhat Android and full license app from the Google Play store.

Car: 2011 e92 328i; n51 engine; sport package.

I am trying to code the Gear Shift Indicator function, however I cannot get it to work. I have marked all Gear Shift Indicator options as "active", and coding is identified as successful by the app. Howver, the up/down arrows are present on the left side of the odometer readout, yet there is no indication of when to shift gears (arrows should blink), nor what gear to shift into on the right side of the readout. I have watched some YouTube videos to see exactly how the Gear Shift Indicator is supposed to work, and I have searched all the forums I can find, but unfortunately my Gear Shift Indicator does not seem to be working properly.

Many thanks,

Chad
I do believe you need manual tranny for that to work so the proper signals are sent to the cluster.

Same issue for those that retro a manual M3 cluster in a non-manual car.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 06:53 PM   #3
chadrandom
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatcrazy69
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadrandom

Car: 2011 e92 328i; n51 engine; sport package.

Many thanks,

Chad
I do believe you need manual tranny for that to work so the proper signals are sent to the cluster.

Same issue for those that retro a manual M3 cluster in a non-manual car.
Thanks for the reply. Sorry, I should have mentioned that I have a 6MT.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 01:43 PM   #4
chadrandom
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

bumpety bumpski bump
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2015, 09:03 PM   #5
Rick328
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 328 xDrive ZSP

Garage List
2009 328 xDrive  [10.00]
Been told it works only on 335... I tried it too on my 328 6mt and got the same results (or lack of!) as you.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2015, 08:09 PM   #6
chadrandom
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick328
Been told it works only on 335... I tried it too on my 328 6mt and got the same results (or lack of!) as you.
@Rick328 thanks for the info. Where did you hear this?

Anyone's else able to verify?

That would be a real bummer since that's one of the primary reasons I bought the BMWhat a apter and app.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 09:20 PM   #7
josehon
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 Apline White 328i E93 6MT

When I use NCSDummy to check the option, it shows the option is available on N52 engine with ACEA_CO2, which mean you need 1CB (ACEA / CO2 SCOPE) in your VO.

I own a 2008 328 6MT, I try to enable the indicator, but no luck. Same result as yours.

And when I check my VO, I don't have the 1CB option. If anyone has a 335 6MT, you can check if your VO has this option. If you do, that will confirm that 328 has a missing a component, so it cannot be done.

You can use the following link to check your VO.
http://www.bmwarchive.org/vin/bmw-vin-decoder.html
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2015, 10:34 AM   #8
BreathLess
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' E90 328xi 6MT

Any update to it. I have a 2011 n52 6mt and same thing as what op described. Odd that it would work on a 335i but not 328i.

Oh well I was just trying it out to see if I would like it.
Appreciate 0