E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Looking for some validation from hardcore suspension gurus on the E9x platform

10-15-2015, 08:06 PM   #67
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: around the potholes

Quote:
Originally Posted by justpete
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasillalov View Post
Right, but at this point the car is pretty much undriveable on normal roads.
Yeah, depends on the definition of undriveable. No problems here with all spherical bearings. Surprisingly it doesn't make the ride any worse but the suspension does most of the work in making it less than comfortable...
You probably had the most sorted out suspension on this forum lol. How long does those spherical links on the street though? The feedback from those must be pretty amazing I the track.

I remember the guys who used those spherical toe links like the RE ones had to replace them pretty often.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 08:25 PM   #68
justpete
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 328i '19 M6

Garage List
2019 BMW M6  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9blue View Post
You probably had the most sorted out suspension on this forum lol. How long does those spherical links on the street though? The feedback from those must be pretty amazing I the track.

I remember the guys who used those spherical toe links like the RE ones had to replace them pretty often.
Heh. So far no wear I can detect. The original ballends on the RE toe arms though were gone after a few hundred miles afaic. The Aurora Performance Race ballends though are still like new after over ten thousand miles. Then again for a hundred bucks a pop ya'd hope so.

No issues with the BW sphericals either but then they're sealed for the street. Adjustable end links are doing ok so far too but they're cheap and easily changed so not that big a worry.

On the track it's like a kart, well sorta like a kart. OK, it can't _really_ be much like a kart but hyperbole is cheap. It really outhandles pretty much anything with a roundel on it and that's not an exaggeration. Way way better than I can drive it and damn near impossible to upset.

Body roll and pitching are essentially nonexistent even under extra turnin turn in and poorly executed threshold braking even on the seriously f'ed up surface at Eagles Canyon Raceway (rumored to be fixed...). Really, if anything it just slides and remains flat.

Easy to read the road by feel and really great steering feedback, made it so much easier to not pinch turns. Well, that and seat time. Instructors are always telling me the car will do far more than I ask of it.

Finally got the BW seat adaptor plates in that are modified to take the Macht Schnell ASM plates so it's just a matter of time till the OMP seats go in and road feedback takes another big step up. And daily driving takes another big step down. But it's worth it. I keep telling myself... %/
2011 E90 328i 6MT, BMW Aero, CF hood/boot, PI+CAI+RM+3IM+BPC, SS+CI528+ThermoTec+SS#1+2XBurns, AKG 75D eng/trans, Al/Delrin diff/RS, CM 850, UCP, CAE, AKG DSSR, DiffsOnline 3.91 30/90 LSD+BW cooler, C&R, Setrab, Accusump, AST 3-way+Swift, Aurora PR+BW spherical, Vorshlag CPs, M3 brace+UR bar, ARC-8 18x8.5, 255 R1R, RB/CSL rotors+cooling, 135i calipers, RS29, RT700, Safecraft, OMP HTE-R+804F+QD Superquadro, 6pt cage+FIA, Braille, RT DL1Mk3
Appreciate 1
      10-16-2015, 11:53 AM   #69
tetsuo111
Save the Manuals!
United_States
Rep
Drives: E91 RWD 6MT, X3, Ducati S4R

Garage List
What he said....

Just installed solid bearings in the front. Have been driving with OEM M3 links in the rear.

Street drivability is subjective, of course. Given the opportunity for a do-over, I would have gone with solid bearings in the rear, too. In my experience, the change is one of increased precision and sensitivity to the road (this is very important for me), rather than any appreciable increase in NVH.

There is one mod that I would not do again, due to streetability. That is the solid Delrin diff mounts. These are noisier than stock, producing a whine sound very similar to straight-cut gears. Fine on a Porsche or 'Vette, but not consistent with the character of my wagon. For me. On the other hand, these bushings impart a very direct feel in the drivetrain. I like that part. Just not so much the noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justpete View Post
Yeah, depends on the definition of undriveable. No problems here with all spherical bearings. Surprisingly it doesn't make the ride any worse but the suspension does most of the work in making it less than comfortable...
Outside: BMW M-Aero, Euro region lighting, Seibon | Inside: M3 cockpit, Recaro SPG, Prototipo, AutoSolutions SSK, UCP | Stop: M3 ST-40R, PFC | Grip: Solid-mounted subframes, rear coilover conversion, M3 Nitron R3, Hyperco, SPL, AKG, ARC8 | Go: StageFP, CF snorkel, 3IM, MILVs, SuperSprint headers, Dundon Motorsports Inconel exhaust, VoltPhreaks | Cool: CSF | PCA #2018100384 | BMW CCA #505794

Last edited by tetsuo111; 10-16-2015 at 12:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2015, 10:17 AM   #70
TomD335xicoupe
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 335XI me ,19 x3 M40 wife

Hi back to the middle of this thred and the discussion concerning the 255-35-18 tires up front. I have a 2008e92 x drive coupe mTech
Upgrading to kw v1 over the winter will lower somewhat to remove rake and close front wheel gap depending on this, I want to run a square set of 189s 18x8.5 et 37 with 255-35-18 , what must I do up front to accommodate this set up , rear is standered size no issue there. All comments welcome, Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2015, 10:39 AM   #71
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: around the potholes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomD335xicoupe View Post
Hi back to the middle of this thred and the discussion concerning the 255-35-18 tires up front. I have a 2008e92 x drive coupe mTech
Upgrading to kw v1 over the winter will lower somewhat to remove rake and close front wheel gap depending on this, I want to run a square set of 189s 18x8.5 et 37 with 255-35-18 , what must I do up front to accommodate this set up , rear is standered size no issue there. All comments welcome, Thanks
go make another thread in the tire/wheel section... that said you most likely need to run 5-7mm spacer upfront to clear the spring perches on your KW V1.
Appreciate 1
      10-30-2015, 11:24 AM   #72
TomD335xicoupe
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 335XI me ,19 x3 M40 wife

So I can assume your opinion is I do not need to adjust the suspention geometry , which is why I chose this thred, and simple find the correct spacers, thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 03:22 PM   #73
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomD335xicoupe View Post
So I can assume your opinion is I do not need to adjust the suspention geometry , which is why I chose this thred, and simple find the correct spacers, thanks
adjusting geometry will not help with strut clearance, if that is what you asking. 10mm spacers all around will help...
Appreciate 0