F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 2016-f31 thoughts
ARMA SPEED

04-15-2016, 01:54 PM   #1
ocelot
Registered
Rep
Drives: audi

2016-f31 thoughts

I have recently done an extended test drive in the F31. It will likely be my next car purchase, but have decided (rightly or wrongly) to wait a few months and possibly order the new 2017 model.

Firstly, as a wagon fan, I think this car is gorgeous, and as stated, will be probably purchased shortly, so obviously have a lot more on the 'pro's' list.

However I do find some 'cons'.

Aesthetically, I find the interior middle column to appear dated. With that said I like a cd player still, so maybe I am dated! But compared to our Kia Soul EV with 17 easily accessible radio preset stations, the idrive/system is way too complicated. I think a touch screen is needed.

The 'gearing' seems tuned strictly for gas mileage and no performance. Even in sport mode I would have to downshift twice to get any engine braking. My 2007 audi has a much more sporty feel, and downshifts automatically going into most corners. Maybe the dual-clutch makes a difference? Not sure. Either way though, a more aggressive factory tune, especially on the m-sport package is needed.

Hopefully with the new engine (I think coming) they will change things up a bit.

Anyhow, that F31 picture thread, is sure going to cost me a lot of money...as even with those two gripes, I hope soon to either find a nice m sport package used one, or will be plunking down some dough for a 2017 model.

Thanks for all the info here, it is a great read.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2016, 04:12 PM   #2
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: battery powered tv on wheels

The eight physical buttons are not radio presets, but more generally iDrive shortcuts. For radio presets, you have an iDrive screen where you can program as many presets as you want. The easiest way to call one up is with voice command: push the voice button, say "Preset twenty one", done.

All F31s come with shift paddles. Use them. I even configured my sport mode to affect only steering and suspension, because this way the eighth gear doesn't get locked out, and pulling the left paddle is all you need to get into the right gear for better acceleration. Still, you will definitely like the 2017 330i better, because the power band on the B46 is wider than on N20, and the TU transmission has wider gearing too (you can see the specifications if you check 340i, which is currently the only US 3 series with the TU gearbox).
Appreciate 2
      04-15-2016, 06:12 PM   #3
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocelot
I have recently done an extended test drive in the F31. It will likely be my next car purchase, but have decided (rightly or wrongly) to wait a few months and possibly order the new 2017 model.

Firstly, as a wagon fan, I think this car is gorgeous, and as stated, will be probably purchased shortly, so obviously have a lot more on the 'pro's' list.

However I do find some 'cons'.

Aesthetically, I find the interior middle column to appear dated. With that said I like a cd player still, so maybe I am dated! But compared to our Kia Soul EV with 17 easily accessible radio preset stations, the idrive/system is way too complicated. I think a touch screen is needed.

The 'gearing' seems tuned strictly for gas mileage and no performance. Even in sport mode I would have to downshift twice to get any engine braking. My 2007 audi has a much more sporty feel, and downshifts automatically going into most corners. Maybe the dual-clutch makes a difference? Not sure. Either way though, a more aggressive factory tune, especially on the m-sport package is needed.

Hopefully with the new engine (I think coming) they will change things up a bit.

Anyhow, that F31 picture thread, is sure going to cost me a lot of money...as even with those two gripes, I hope soon to either find a nice m sport package used one, or will be plunking down some dough for a 2017 model.

Thanks for all the info here, it is a great read.
The eight buttons are not really presets but idrive shortcuts. They can be programmed to carry out a multitude of idrive functions. And as above, can be brought up via voice command. Incredibly useful.

Did you drive one with the 8 speed sport auto transmission? If not, it will make a difference, particularly in Sport/+.

Lastly, get a tune once you get a good 5k miles on the motor. The car comes to life with any of the piggybacks out there. I still wish they would send us a wagon with the N55/B58, but a tune goes a *long ways* towards mitigating that power gap here.

And, hopefully, welcome to the F31 club!

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 10:45 PM   #4
joshvt
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 F31

One other thing to consider... I recently took delivery of a 16 f31. While at the dealer to pickup the ca mentioned that for 17 BMW is dropping to a 3 yr warranty. Not sure if this is true, but if it is I'd consider a '16 if you are purchasing and intend to keep for a while. The car has a lot of cool features, but as someone who typically hangs on to cars for a while I can't help but wonder about the long term cost of ownership once out of warranty. Good luck with the purchase!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 11:04 PM   #5
Monkeyboxers
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: '21 X3 30i G01 M-Sport

Inputting my 2 cents here. But I think the HUD display is one of the best features in my vehicle; we get this as standard in Australia.

Instead of looking at the screen for toggling thru radio stations and navigation, everything is infront of your face. You can change channels/radios via the scrolling wheel on the steering wheel.

At first I was like, I won't even use it, but I swear by it now.

No need for touchscreens
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 11:35 PM   #6
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshvt View Post
One other thing to consider... I recently took delivery of a 16 f31. While at the dealer to pickup the ca mentioned that for 17 BMW is dropping to a 3 yr warranty. Not sure if this is true, but if it is I'd consider a '16 if you are purchasing and intend to keep for a while. The car has a lot of cool features, but as someone who typically hangs on to cars for a while I can't help but wonder about the long term cost of ownership once out of warranty. Good luck with the purchase!
The new car warranty is NOT changing. Still 4 years/50,000 miles. The included Maintenance Plan is changing, to 3 years/36,000 miles and brakes are no longer included.

But is doesn't matter to the OP, because he's in Canada.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

04-18-2016, 11:53 PM   #7
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Is that 325d wagon mentioned in the other thread coming to north america? that alone would make me want to wait for a 2017!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2016, 12:16 AM   #8
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: battery powered tv on wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
Is that 325d wagon mentioned in the other thread coming to north america?
No.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2016, 09:15 AM   #9
canukgtp
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

I've got a 2014 F31, just loving the features and versatility and as somebody mentioned the piggy back is fantastic to bring the car to life, I've got the BMS stage 1...gives it that extra pop you seem to think is missing...good luck with your hunt for your wagon, you won't regret it!
2011 E90 335xi (lease up)
Appreciate 0