E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > First impression after Progman 28 install

01-26-2008, 07:19 PM   #1
FunRevn
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5

First impression after Progman 28 install

Got the Flash on Friday. I have about 70miles on the car and so far the only thing that changed is the power delivery. It feels as if they reshaped the torque curve. Took out a little from idle to about 2K and added to the between 3K to 6K range.

The car is not as strong starting from a stop in M2. That being said, SD is better than before. I can't remember if it started in first or second but now it starts in first and first is actually useful (even with DTC on!!). The 1-2 shifts are so fast that you lose nothing and your in the meat of the tq curve of 2nd that is even stronger (or at least it feels that way) than before. So you really can blast out of the hole. First gear used to just spin and/or just trigger DTC so much that it actually cost you time.

I'm a bit torn though. I like diving into my favorite corner and dropping down to M2 via a couple of quick clicks on the paddles and then having that lowend torque pull me out with the tires tearing at the pavement. But the smoothness and overall feel is actually more natuarally asperated feeling than before. Reminds me more of my old 95 M3 the way they changed the torque curve.

The CD (MP3 format) still starts from the begining of the song when the car has been off for more than an hour and the same thing with the Recirc setting. Reverts to off after the car has been off for more than 10 mins.

My car is a 335 cpe May 07 build Steptronic w/sport package Maybe its not having Nav thats the problem with the CD and AC

Love to hear comments from those who have upgraded to series 27 or 28 progman
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2008, 08:37 PM   #2
e.n335
Austria
Rep
Drives: e93 ///M3 DCT, 07/2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunRevn View Post
Got the Flash on Friday. I have about 70miles on the car and so far the only thing that changed is the power delivery. It feels as if they reshaped the torque curve. Took out a little from idle to about 2K and added to the between 3K to 6K range.

The car is not as strong starting from a stop in M2. That being said, SD is better than before. I can't remember if it started in first or second but now it starts in first and first is actually useful (even with DTC on!!). The 1-2 shifts are so fast that you lose nothing and your in the meat of the tq curve of 2nd that is even stronger (or at least it feels that way) than before. So you really can blast out of the hole. First gear used to just spin and/or just trigger DTC so much that it actually cost you time.

I'm a bit torn though. I like diving into my favorite corner and dropping down to M2 via a couple of quick clicks on the paddles and then having that lowend torque pull me out with the tires tearing at the pavement. But the smoothness and overall feel is actually more natuarally asperated feeling than before. Reminds me more of my old 95 M3 the way they changed the torque curve.

The CD (MP3 format) still starts from the begining of the song when the car has been off for more than an hour and the same thing with the Recirc setting. Reverts to off after the car has been off for more than 10 mins.

My car is a 335 cpe May 07 build Steptronic w/sport package Maybe its not having Nav thats the problem with the CD and AC

Love to hear comments from those who have upgraded to series 27 or 28 progman
???
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2008, 09:19 PM   #3
kptaylor
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 335i Coupe

70 miles since the reflash was done.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 01:50 AM   #4
FunRevn
Captain
Rep

Sorry, Yes since the reflash....... the car has almost 5K on it.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 03:48 PM   #5
slubu
Never Go Full Retard
Rep
Drives: White Lightning

doesn't it have to do something with the ecu readapting all over again? i.e. if you drive aggressive at the low end it should pump it back up again...
      01-28-2008, 12:07 AM   #6
FunRevn
Captain
Rep

Will its adapted as much as its going too. I must have done at least 50 - 70 hard starts and M2 is weaker from Idle to 2.7K and then it starts charging harder than before. Its like they took 1psi off down low and added back most of it back over the 3-5K range. With my SSTT Im almost worried it may over boost it really feels like an animal.

I think the logic was that nobody was really using 1st gear M1 because its so short and would spin most of the time. Now based on the new roll on of power M1 or SD really works great. I also think they played with DTC a bit??
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2008, 01:55 AM   #7
ween0t
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i e92

its funny cause i went from procede 1.47 back to stock recently. but right after i took out the procede i took the car into service and did a progman update. the car actually feels pretty good considering i no longer have the procede. sure theres WAY less power and i cant keep up with the cars i used to. but the powerband and throtle response feels pretty good, just like a NA car. i can actually take the car further up the RPMs before im going TOO fast unlike before. it SORTA makes up for th power loss.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2008, 02:05 AM   #8
rambino
M Master
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6 / X6M

Does the procede override all this power delimiting crap and give us the full juice again?

Would a person with Program 28 with a procede, see the same results as a person with program 27 or lower with a procede?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2008, 12:09 PM   #9
FunRevn
Captain
Rep

yeah it is more NA feeling like my old 95 M3 The midrange is better.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2008, 01:10 PM   #10
retrodrive
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

So now that you have changed the software. Do you like it better? Would you rather have the previous version soft on your car?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2008, 02:46 PM   #11
FunRevn
Captain
Rep

Hard to say if I would want the update on not. It is smoother overall but less aggressive from a dead start. Basically a bit of Turbo lag from a start only. Like they did it on purpose but the midrange is better.

So its probably going to be a personal choice.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2008, 02:53 PM   #12
OtuaCarGod
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: The nicest car on the lot...

I have a stick shift... so your making me wonder what the difference would be just in throttle response and power delivery. Did you get a chance to feel that back to back stock to stock, after you took your piggyback off?

I also have V27, and iDrive. I leave my air recirc on "A" all the time and it always stays there, never switches off, and my mp3 CD's don't jump back to the begining of a song when I start the car back up after leaving it off all night. Altho now that I think about it, my V26 (i think) used to do that.

Last edited by OtuaCarGod; 01-28-2008 at 02:55 PM.. Reason: forgot part
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2008, 02:58 PM   #13
dinkoh
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 e90 lemon/black

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtuaCarGod View Post
I have a stick shift... so your making me wonder what the difference would be just in throttle response and power delivery. Did you get a chance to feel that back to back stock to stock, after you took your piggyback off.
+1. I've only read people's comment with Step. How about manual owners?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2008, 03:02 PM   #14
FunRevn
Captain
Rep

Otua,

27 and 28 are series. For example there were like 3 software tweak during the life of 27 and I have no idea were they are with 28 since it was recently distributed to the dealers. There are 4 series updates per year. This is my understanding, I could be wrong.

Clarification Please...... Was the CD working or not working properly with V26???

I think the power program is the same from mid series V27 to V28 so you propably have what I have.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2008, 04:03 PM   #15
Scott B
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

In terms of engine management, Progman version 27, 27.1, and 28 are using the exact same files on the 335. Any perceived performance difference is entirely placebic.
Appreciate 0