E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Electrical fault when turning engine off!!

03-20-2017, 01:38 AM   #1
Gaunte92
Rep
Drives: Bmw E92 SE coupe

Electrical fault when turning engine off!!

Excuse me if this might get a little confusing!

Right, I have a BMW e92 2007. My issue is that on occasions when turn the engine off all my electrics goes dead! I mean nothing what so ever, this has happened a few times now and it has left me stranded until I have to wait for 1-2 hours for it to suddenly come back on, as soon as I wait long enough the red blinker under the rear view mirror comes on and I can put the key in and go.

Obviously this is so frustrating as I'm now restricted to driving it because I don't want to be left in the lurch when I need to be somewhere, the most recent time this happened, I picked the Mrs up from a night out got home and took the key out, then no interior light came on so I knew again this has happened. I went to look the door on the fob and my alarm started going nuts and 2am and the only way to stop it was to disconnect the battery. And two days later I reconnected the battery and it was like nothing happened. If someone could maybe shed some light on this I would be so grateful.

Thanks for reading!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 05:03 PM   #2
GXCars
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 M Sport Coupe

Cracked battery terminals in the boot, Intelligent Battery Sensor in the Boot and loose main power cables under the bonnet, plus all the earth points start there first but I'd get it read with ISTA.

If you have no electrics at all and the car is stone dead its likely to be a feed issue, there are so many things it could be thats why you should get it scanned

Hope that helps
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 06:02 PM   #3
Gaunte92
Rep

It is now in the garage with my mechanic said similar to what you did, it could be so many different things he has suggested maybe a module somewhere is over heating possibly. He has it for a few days and will mention to him what you have said.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2017, 08:43 AM   #4
den656
Private
Rep
Drives: 318D

Hello mate, just saw your thread,as a suggestion ,when this happens, get your mechanics, or yourself , to check the power wire that goes from th boot, to the back of the glovebox ( where your fuse box is located). .
I had a similar issue , and basically this was the culprit, the main connection for the power wire had corroded over the years,causing it to lose full connectivity , it is a recognised fault in the US but not here for some reason .
You can buy a repair lead from BMW , I replaced the fuse box and lead just in case any damage had been caused was about £120 all in for parts which wasn't bad from BMW in my opinion .
Anyways , next time it occurs , while you have no power , open door with emergency key, then take out the little access panel at the back of your glovebox, use a torch to see where the owner cable goes up along the back of the glovebox ( thick red wire ) reach your hand just under the back of the glovebox and feel for the wire, locate it ,then gently waggle it a little ensuring that you are directing the movement up towards the back of the fuse box, just waggling the wire where you can hold it is pointless lol, if you have the same issue I did you will hear a click and your car will come back to life,handy to get you out the shit, but make sure you change it when you can as soon as possible, I had this fault for a few months,BMW said it would only ever lose power for a split second if in motion, then it happened on motorway at night,fun isn't the word lol , good luck hope you sort it .
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2017, 04:11 PM   #5
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

See if your vehicle is within the VIN range for the recall on 2007 models for battery positive lead from battery to JBE. It's a known issues which causes similar symptoms to you.

[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 05:49 PM   #6
Gaunte92
Rep

Cheers guys, haven't heard back from the garage as of yet but I'm going to call them in the morning and give them a heads up with what you have suggested, I don't want it to cut out whilst driving that's for sure! Thanks for the input again at least the are some possibilities to what it could be and I'll be making sure to check the vin against that link
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2017, 03:30 PM   #7
Gaunte92
Rep

Sensible_

By the looks of it my vin falls into the bracket with this recall, calling the main dealer tomorrow to see what they say about it, I don't know how the recalls work, is it just a case of booking it in and they take it no questions asked?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2017, 07:33 AM   #8
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaunte92 View Post
Sensible_

By the looks of it my vin falls into the bracket with this recall, calling the main dealer tomorrow to see what they say about it, I don't know how the recalls work, is it just a case of booking it in and they take it no questions asked?
It depends. Do you know the history of your car?

BMW should have sent paperwork to the registered keeper (DVLA) when the vehicle recall was released.

I would think if it's not been done, BMW will have to do the work on the recall at their expense. It's a safety issue, hence the recall.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2017, 10:27 AM   #9
Gaunte92
Rep

Called BMW and they haven't got that in their recall list but have two other recalls to be done so now I'm back to square one. Going to change the fuse box and cable, but does anyone have a the part numbers or names
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2017, 11:56 AM   #10
den656
Private
Rep
Drives: 318D

I would check,before you start laying cash out on parts chap, it's free to check, just wait for it to happen,then do as I described, once you do that and know for sure, then the fix is as I said,good luck,Den .
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2017, 12:48 PM   #11
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Called BMW and they haven't got that in their recall list but have two other recalls to be done so now I'm back to square one. Going to change the fuse box and cable, but does anyone have a the part numbers or names
How can they not have it in their list? It's on a government website which lists all the recalls for all cars.

I'd contact another dealer...
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2017, 02:57 AM   #12
Gaunte92
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible_ View Post
How can they not have it in their list? It's on a government website which lists all the recalls for all cars.

I know, I stated this to them and they said 'if it's not on the BMW system then it's a lie, so wherever you are getting your information from is wrong' I then called customer services and they said they exact same thing, so by the end of the phone calls I was so frustrated. Is there anyway it can be forced through the gov website?

Thing is I have them my reg and it bought up there were two other recalls on my vehicle which I will take in to do, but all they said about my matter was that is investigation work, I just laughed.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2017, 03:12 AM   #13
Gaunte92
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by den656 View Post
I would check,before you start laying cash out on parts chap, it's free to check, just wait for it to happen,then do as I described, once you do that and know for sure, then the fix is as I said,good luck,Den .
Yeah I am getting the car back today and going for a drive Sunday to see if this is the case before we proceed, I don't want to do it on a wim, I have found another thread on here which has a detailed PDF of what exactly BMW done and replaced, removed and refitted, all the symptoms lead to this I just hope mine is the same and then at least I know.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2017, 03:51 AM   #14
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible_ View Post

I know, I stated this to them and they said 'if it's not on the BMW system then it's a lie, so wherever you are getting your information from is wrong' I then called customer services and they said they exact same thing, so by the end of the phone calls I was so frustrated. Is there anyway it can be forced through the gov website?

Thing is I have them my reg and it bought up there were two other recalls on my vehicle which I will take in to do, but all they said about my matter was that is investigation work, I just laughed.
Here is the direct link. It's has the BMW reference on it.

http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/apps/rec...k&tx=0.5783808
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2017, 09:46 AM   #15
Gaunte92
Rep

Is there anyway visa can enforce on them to carry out the work?
Appreciate 0