E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > When to replace O2 sensors?

07-18-2017, 05:21 PM   #1
Hoper
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i 6MT

When to replace O2 sensors?

Hi all, quick question, I've purchased some index 11 injectors from MJ (thanks MJ) and will be buying and installing some catless DPs

When logging I notice that my STFT looks pretty jagged in comparison to others I look at, I'm guessing leaky injector or O2 sensor issue as the fuel pressure is stable

Question is, how often do the O2 sensors fail, my car is an 08 model with 90k km on it

I'm thinking I should do the pre cat sensors, thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2017, 06:28 PM   #2
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

In my experience the primary o2 sensors last quite a long time unless you are clowning around with the MHD burble settings on max all time.

Also a lot of people try remove the O2 sensors while they are still plugged in, which twists up the cabling and can damage it. Workshops do this and if the O2 sensors stop working they blame it on 'the o2 sensors were siezed and this is common'. I am not so convinced since the O2 sensors are installed from the factory with antisieze and are never that difficult to take off in an Australian climate. Then they get to sting you on the parts and labour a second time

You are much better off taking the 15 minutes to unplug the cabling and removing them from the cable clips so the sensor wiring doesn't get damaged.

Secondary O2 sensors are usually the first to fail, especially if you have smoking turbos. I'd say with your STFT reset your adaptations first, depending on your aftermarket downpipes the secondary o2 sensors may be easy or difficult to access, so you might be better off just leaving it until you have a reason to change it.
      07-18-2017, 06:54 PM   #3
Hoper
Captain
Australia
Rep

Thanks Vince, have reset adaptations through INPA on multiple occaisions over the last couple of months with no real effect/change

Sorry I wasn't really clear, currently running stock DPs, will be changing to catless in the next couple of months, so really asking if I should spend the cash and put new sensors in while I'm down there

With my logs I notice that when I come off the throttle, Bank 2 AFR stays at 234.95 for a second or so while bank 1 spikes to 234.95 but immediately drops to 16 again, note that I do have the MHD burble setting on medium, so this might be doing that? I'm assuming it dumps some additional fuel in to make the burble...
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2017, 07:08 PM   #4
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

Remove the burble all together, its a feature that just ruins O2 sensors, dilutes the oil and adds more headache.
Yes it dumps fuel into the exhaust and would explain that AFR issue. I would turn off the burble and reset adaptations.
      07-20-2017, 04:57 AM   #5
Hoper
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtl
Remove the burble all together, its a feature that just ruins O2 sensors, dilutes the oil and adds more headache.
Yes it dumps fuel into the exhaust and would explain that AFR issue. I would turn off the burble and reset adaptations.
Burble now off, I miss it already
Strong I must be, Yodas advice I should follow

So if you were me Yoda, would you replace O2 sensors while doing the DPs as a precaution? or do the DPs and Injectors and go back to the O2 sensors later if I can confirm they're dodgy?

Only asking because its over $600 for the four of them...
Appreciate 0