E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > What to do about weak HPFP?

07-24-2017, 11:26 PM   #1
hailpersia
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022

What to do about weak HPFP?

hey all,
It seems that I have a weak HPFP based on some logs and insight from Justin. I'm running E30 MHD map and FBO, anytime I get on boost, there is a substantial drop in pressure--typically? gets down to 1600psi before going back up.

here is my question to those who also had a weak HPFP, what did you do to resolve this? (aside from replacement)

thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2017, 06:30 AM   #2
LGCubana
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i sedan

Maybe scale back to the 91 map, but that would be a band aid at best.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2017, 07:33 AM   #3
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by hailpersia View Post
hey all,
It seems that I have a weak HPFP based on some logs and insight from Justin. I'm running E30 MHD map and FBO, anytime I get on boost, there is a substantial drop in pressure--typically? gets down to 1600psi before going back up.

here is my question to those who also had a weak HPFP, what did you do to resolve this? (aside from replacement)

thanks
Do you have a log you an post? A difference of 1 psi, 1* of timing, or an AFR being .2 different could cause rail pressure to be 400psi less than another users log at the same rpm...

I think the "weak" HPFPs is overstated. Tuning variance seems to me to be the greatest factor in balancing torque with the rate of fuel flow provided by the pump at lower rpms. Of course, there is going to be some variance between cars (DCT or MT?), mods (higher flowing intercooler? intake?), and age of fuel pumps from one car to the next and your car may not be able to squeeze out that 1-2psi more where other cars can... Once you hit over 21psi down low you start running out of flow and N54's are no different.

Last edited by bbnks2; 07-25-2017 at 07:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2017, 11:10 AM   #4
hailpersia
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

great information. that's essentially what I want to see if possible, corrections via customer tune or whatnot. the car is 2011 e90 335i rwd with 50k, fbo and E30.

I have lots of logs at http://datazap.me/u/hailpersia,
I haven't logged on the newest E30 map and I had three iteration of maps that we're tweaked by justing to correct boost oscillation and the pressure drop, but no luck on the pressure drop. I was thinking of doing a custom tune. anyways please take a look at the logs and let me know. much appreciated. let me know if you want to me to post individual logs here.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2017, 12:02 PM   #5
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
great information. that's essentially what I want to see if possible, corrections via customer tune or whatnot. the car is 2011 e90 335i rwd with 50k, fbo and E30.

I haven't logged on the newest E30 map and I had three iteration of maps that we're tweaked by justing to correct boost oscillation and the pressure drop, but no luck on the pressure drop. I was thinking of doing a custom tune. anyways please take a look at the logs and let me know. much appreciated. let me know if you want to me to post individual logs here.
I don't have any logs on the latest E30 map... I do have some from V90 though which show I was down to 1700psi in the same rpm range...
http://www.datazap.me/u/banks334/e30...data=5-9-16-17

Looks like your car is running rich at around 12:1 and even 11's. Have you tried resetting fuel adaptions?

My custom E30 tune (TwistedTuning) sees about 23psi in 3rd gear and dips to around 17xxpsi as well. It also runs a bit leaner at around 12.8:1 though. You can definitely tune out that dip in rail pressure with a custom tune!

Last edited by bbnks2; 07-25-2017 at 01:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2017, 03:50 AM   #6
hailpersia
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnks2
Quote:

I don't have any logs on the latest E30 map... I do have some from V90 though which show I was down to 1700psi in the same rpm range...
http://www.datazap.me/u/banks334/e30...data=5-9-16-17

Looks like your car is running rich at around 12:1 and even 11's. Have you tried resetting fuel adaptions?

My custom E30 tune (TwistedTuning) sees about 23psi in 3rd gear and dips to around 17xxpsi as well. It also runs a bit leaner at around 12.8:1 though. You can definitely tune out that dip in rail pressure with a custom tune!
thanks for the info. I just went ahead and reset adaptations and yea def running a bit rich on the low end. how do you like your custom tune? I was actually thinking of going that route, most likely with Justin but I was also looking at wedge. based on your log, seems like custom tune is the way to go.

I'll do some logging this weekend and think about the custom tune a bit more.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2017, 06:03 AM   #7
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
thanks for the info. I just went ahead and reset adaptations and yea def running a bit rich on the low end. how do you like your custom tune? I was actually thinking of going that route, most likely with Justin but I was also looking at wedge. based on your log, seems like custom tune is the way to go.

My custom e30 tune from Twisted Tuning has been great:
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2017, 11:51 AM   #8
hailpersia
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

My custom e30 tune from Twisted Tuning has been great:
what are your mods? damn 25psi. Do you have any Dyno numbers?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2017, 12:07 PM   #9
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
That's a 4th gear pull. 3rd gear is usually around 23psi but I've seen the car peak 23-25psi.

Mods are in sig. Not too much done other than the basic bolt-ons like catless downpipe, 5" inter-cooler, charge-pipe, a DV+, and a K&N drop-in filter. Refining the tune has been the hard part and Justin has been great in that regard.

I'll be back on the dyno soon and will make a dedicated thread. I dyno'd on an early revision and made 364/497 with throttle closures happening. Should be closer to 380/480 now after several more revisions. It's a significant increase over the OTS E30 map at lower rpms.

Last edited by bbnks2; 07-27-2017 at 12:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2017, 10:46 PM   #10
hailpersia
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
That's a 4th gear pull. 3rd gear is usually around 23psi but I've seen the car peak 23-25psi.

Mods are in sig. Not too much done other than the basic bolt-ons like catless downpipe, 5" inter-cooler, charge-pipe, a DV+, and a K&N drop-in filter. Refining the tune has been the hard part and Justin has been great in that regard.

I'll be back on the dyno soon and will make a dedicated thread. I dyno'd on an early revision and made 364/497 with throttle closures happening. Should be closer to 380/480 now after several more revisions. It's a significant increase over the OTS E30 map at lower rpms.
oh cool. I put down 369hp and 444tq on e30 mhd map and FBO.

latest? logs btw on v1 E30, seems a bit better, going to look into a custom tune

http://www.datazap.me/u/hailpersia/log-1501465501

http://www.datazap.me/u/hailpersia/log-1501465411
Appreciate 0