E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > N55 with Fuel-It TBI issues

07-04-2017, 10:37 PM   #1
Dekansnowman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Sedan Space Grey

N55 with Fuel-It TBI issues

Hey guys, I have a quick question that I hope you can help with. Wedge is my tuner but since he’s on vacation, I prefer not to bug him. So I have the TBI kit and the 15psi Hobbs switch. Doing a pull in a single gear is fine, but as soon as I shift into the next gear manually, I have a 6AT, the car hesitates like crazy and throws the obvious batch of codes. Now a quick reset and everything is normal again, but this really kills the fun. Am I right to assume this just requires me to adjust the sensitivity of the switch to be able to react with less boost since the pressure has died down and hasn’t triggered it? I’m also assuming if I do that I’ll create a rich environment sooner than the tune has accounted for.

Has anyone else used the TBI? Have you experienced this?
PURE Stage 2 w/Inlet | Full E85 | Wedge Tuned | Alpina TCU | BMS Intake | Wagner 6" FMIC | VRSF Chargepipe | VRSF Downpipe | Boost Concepts Stage 2 LPFP | Fuel-It TBI | AEM Meth/Water | MFactory LSD | ST Coilovers | GFB DV Valve | N20 MAP
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2017, 06:32 PM   #2
sw1183
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M6

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekansnowman View Post
Hey guys, I have a quick question that I hope you can help with. Wedge is my tuner but since he’s on vacation, I prefer not to bug him. So I have the TBI kit and the 15psi Hobbs switch. Doing a pull in a single gear is fine, but as soon as I shift into the next gear manually, I have a 6AT, the car hesitates like crazy and throws the obvious batch of codes. Now a quick reset and everything is normal again, but this really kills the fun. Am I right to assume this just requires me to adjust the sensitivity of the switch to be able to react with less boost since the pressure has died down and hasn’t triggered it? I’m also assuming if I do that I’ll create a rich environment sooner than the tune has accounted for.

Has anyone else used the TBI? Have you experienced this?
Dealing with this exact same issue right now with Wedge. I'm on revision 5 at around 23psi and i have switched between e70 down to e50ish and still have issues. I just put in new coils and plugs @ .18. Threw a code for HPFP so that's next. I've been told to ditch TBI and get meth for PS2 - which is what I may have to do. The misfire bugs are annoying

HCP e85 tune, VRSF DP, BMW CAI
Appreciate 1
      07-07-2017, 07:01 PM   #3
kanovic
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 evo

I have the vtt stage 2 with tbi running 23psi and e50 and no issues..
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2017, 07:36 PM   #4
Dekansnowman
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1183 View Post
Dealing with this exact same issue right now with Wedge. I'm on revision 5 at around 23psi and i have switched between e70 down to e50ish and still have issues. I just put in new coils and plugs @ .18. Threw a code for HPFP so that's next. I've been told to ditch TBI and get meth for PS2 - which is what I may have to do. The misfire bugs are annoying
Who told you to ditch it? I have AEM meth for the PS2 but have it disconnected right now while we figure out the limit for TBI. I'm also on Revision 5 and it was either TBI or PI to max out the PS2. Ken suggested I go TBI because PI was a pain to get working correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanovic View Post
I have the vtt stage 2 with tbi running 23psi and e50 and no issues..
Did you do any adjustments to the Hobb's switch? Are you using the 15psi switch?
PURE Stage 2 w/Inlet | Full E85 | Wedge Tuned | Alpina TCU | BMS Intake | Wagner 6" FMIC | VRSF Chargepipe | VRSF Downpipe | Boost Concepts Stage 2 LPFP | Fuel-It TBI | AEM Meth/Water | MFactory LSD | ST Coilovers | GFB DV Valve | N20 MAP
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2017, 12:36 PM   #5
kanovic
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Who told you to ditch it? I have AEM meth for the PS2 but have it disconnected right now while we figure out the limit for TBI. I'm also on Revision 5 and it was either TBI or PI to max out the PS2. Ken suggested I go TBI because PI was a pain to get working correctly.

Did you do any adjustments to the Hobb's switch? Are you using the 15psi switch?
Just have the 15psi Hobbs switch and no adjustments were made. Only time I had a misfire was when we raised it to 24psi. But it was the hpfp that dipped. Tuner always said the car seemed to have plenty of fuel and we stopped at 22/23psi and have not had any issues at all.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2017, 11:15 PM   #6
Dekansnowman
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Just have the 15psi Hobbs switch and no adjustments were made. Only time I had a misfire was when we raised it to 24psi. But it was the hpfp that dipped. Tuner always said the car seemed to have plenty of fuel and we stopped at 22/23psi and have not had any issues at all.
Who’s your tuner? I am passed that amount of boost already so I’m hoping it’s just an adjustment that needs to be made with the spring on the TBI. Car is pointless as it sits if I can’t go WOT through the gears for a 1/4 pass, or a highway pull.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2017, 11:57 PM   #7
kanovic
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Who’s your tuner? I am passed that amount of boost already so I’m hoping it’s just an adjustment that needs to be made with the spring on the TBI. Car is pointless as it sits if I can’t go WOT through the gears for a 1/4 pass, or a highway pull.
Justin at mhd/twisted tuning.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2017, 05:05 PM   #8
Dekansnowman
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Ahh. Ken and Justin are buddies so I'm sure they would both be aware of, or at least share info, on this topic.

Do you know what power you're making?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2017, 08:10 PM   #9
kanovic
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Ahh. Ken and Justin are buddies so I'm sure they would both be aware of, or at least share info, on this topic.

Do you know what power you're making?
No clue lol.. we did a virtual dyno and it was around 496/484 but I don't take vd that serious. Never put it on a actual dyno.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2017, 09:53 PM   #10
Dekansnowman
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I should’ve put my log into VD after I did a dyno night just to see how close they were.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2017, 06:40 AM   #11
kanovic
Lieutenant
Rep

I am sure you can get it close, but everything has to be perfect. I just feel there are too many variables that can be manipulated. I will put it on a dyno one day if I keep it.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2017, 12:31 PM   #12
Dekansnowman
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I am sure you can get it close, but everything has to be perfect. I just feel there are too many variables that can be manipulated. I will put it on a dyno one day if I keep it.

Yea, I knew once supplemental fueling came into the mix it would become a hassle. I miss my old RB25. Throw a big turbo on, throw 1,000cc injectors in, big fuel pump with regulator. Simple and effective.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2017, 01:30 PM   #13
kanovic
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yea, I knew once supplemental fueling came into the mix it would become a hassle. I miss my old RB25. Throw a big turbo on, throw 1,000cc injectors in, big fuel pump with regulator. Simple and effective.
I came from the Evo world it's was the same way. Just had to keep torque down if you had a stock block. But injectors,turbo, fuel pump and you're set lol.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2017, 12:25 PM   #14
sw1183
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M6

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Any updates? Did you get your TBI situated? I just got a new HPFP and BMW did not reinstall the TBI correctly and has a leak. I feel like it's one thing after another. I am considering just getting meth at this point and removing TBI.

HCP e85 tune, VRSF DP, BMW CAI
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2017, 05:56 PM   #15
Dekansnowman
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1183 View Post
Any updates? Did you get your TBI situated? I just got a new HPFP and BMW did not reinstall the TBI correctly and has a leak. I feel like it's one thing after another. I am considering just getting meth at this point and removing TBI.
So turns out it was just the tune. Ken dialed it back and is starting to build back up so I can say now that I can shift and row through the gears just like before. It feels OEM again and AFRs look good. Stick with it man, I can say that with confidence now. My meth kit is still there and just unplugged until I get another meth bung added in for when I'm on my pump tune. Also, I have a switch for the TBI so I can flip the switch when I have E85 in the tank, and turn it off when I'm on pump.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2017, 02:46 PM   #16
bcaz808
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i

Quote:
So turns out it was just the tune. Ken dialed it back and is starting to build back up so I can say now that I can shift and row through the gears just like before. It feels OEM again and AFRs look good. Stick with it man, I can say that with confidence now. My meth kit is still there and just unplugged until I get another meth bung added in for when I'm on my pump tune. Also, I have a switch for the TBI so I can flip the switch when I have E85 in the tank, and turn it off when I'm on pump.
What PSI are you running? Currently trying to decide whether or not I'm gonna run TBI or just go with 93/Meth.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2017, 08:57 PM   #17
Dekansnowman
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcaz808 View Post
What PSI are you running? Currently trying to decide whether or not I'm gonna run TBI or just go with 93/Meth.
Still tuning, but latest E85 tune is at 22psi. Also got the shifting issue lined up so things look better now. I can WOT shift and it's pretty solid.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2017, 06:45 PM   #18
bcaz808
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i

Quote:
Still tuning, but latest E85 tune is at 22psi. Also got the shifting issue lined up so things look better now. I can WOT shift and it's pretty solid.
Nice.
Appreciate 0