Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > does negative camber affect road/tire noise

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

08-25-2017, 01:46 PM   #1
miker2013
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi 6mt Msport coupe

does negative camber affect road/tire noise

i am in the process of swapping my reo50a bs runflats with continental extreme contact sport tires next wednesday

recently i added dinan fixed camber plates to my vehicle and am noticing alot more tire/road noise but i am not sure if it is the additional negative camber or the other suspension mods (new koni yellows and strongflex subframe bushings)

does negative camber in any way affect road noise? will a tire with more negative camber be louder than one without, specifically on a run flat?

thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2017, 02:39 PM   #2
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Absolutely not.

After only adding Dinan camber plates recently I noticed absolutely no more noise than usual.

In your case, it's definitely other mods that were added at the same time which contributed to the increase in NVH.
Appreciate 1
      08-25-2017, 03:16 PM   #3
miker2013
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
Absolutely not.

After only adding Dinan camber plates recently I noticed absolutely no more noise than usual.

In your case, it's definitely other mods that were added at the same time which contributed to the increase in NVH.
thanks

what do you think is causing the additional tire noise the subframe bushings or the koni yellows?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2017, 03:52 PM   #4
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Likely the SF bushings...any time you upgrade connection points, you'll bound to feel/hear a difference somewhere.

I noticed no increase in noise when upgrading to Bilsteins a couple years back.
Appreciate 1
      08-25-2017, 10:19 PM   #5
weehe126
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i

Did you get an alignment after the camber plates? If not your toe will be off and may cause the noise change. I know SF bushing do not add any additional noise as I just did them myself. Koni yellows might if you have it on a stiff setting.
Appreciate 1
      08-25-2017, 10:30 PM   #6
miker2013
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by weehe126 View Post
Did you get an alignment after the camber plates? If not your toe will be off and may cause the noise change. I know SF bushing do not add any additional noise as I just did them myself. Koni yellows might if you have it on a stiff setting.
i did get an alignment at bmw dealership, drives straight as an arrow

my konis are on 1/2 turn from full soft on rear and the equivalent in front

i noticed after the parts installed definite additional noise, not thru the steering wheel or in the seat vibrations but much more wheel/tire noise than i was used too i have prolly 10,000 kms on these tires so i knew what they felt like before

could the strong flex yellow be too stiff and causing more cabin noise?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2017, 08:14 AM   #7
Volasko
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i E90, 18 530xe G30

Garage List
Once you switch to the continentals you should notice a huge difference in tire noise (for the better).
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2017, 09:21 AM   #8
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by miker2013 View Post
could the strong flex yellow be too stiff and causing more cabin noise?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
any time you upgrade connection points, you're bound to feel/hear a difference somewhere.
Appreciate 0