F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Sound request! Stock exhaust 340i w/ midpipes!
Studio RSR

11-22-2016, 08:56 AM   #23
bliskin27
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Coupe M Sport

Are "mid-pipes" just a term for the straight pipes that replace resonators? And if so, what differentiates any ole pipes a muffler shop would replace my reso's with compared to if I bought name brand "mid-pipes"?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2016, 12:54 PM   #24
dkmesa
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 melbourne red 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bliskin27 View Post
Are "mid-pipes" just a term for the straight pipes that replace resonators? And if so, what differentiates any ole pipes a muffler shop would replace my reso's with compared to if I bought name brand "mid-pipes"?
You're correct. Straight pipes from cats to muffler. Muffler shop welding in straight pipe to replace the two resonators would accomplish the same thing as a $500 midpipe.
Appreciate 1
gthal1905.00
      11-22-2016, 02:18 PM   #25
bliskin27
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkmesa View Post
You're correct. Straight pipes from cats to muffler. Muffler shop welding in straight pipe to replace the two resonators would accomplish the same thing as a $500 midpipe.
So... to ask the obvious... why do people pay that $500 for special mid pipes?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2016, 02:36 PM   #26
dkmesa
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 melbourne red 340i

Quote:
So... to ask the obvious... why do people pay that $500 for special mid pipes?
Only reason I'd consider it is for easy reversibility. On my truck, I could have gotten a Magnaflow muffler for $125 and paid $50 to have it welded it place of the stocker, but I paid $300 for a kit that had pipes, clamps, and hangers so I could do a direct swap. Glad I did, because I would've otherwise had to take it back to a muffler shop to put the factory one back on. Instead, I swapped it in my driveway in 20 minutes on Sunday.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2016, 02:53 PM   #27
bliskin27
Rep

But if I want to delete my reso's.. I can just go to a muffler shop and request they replace them with fitted stainless steel pipes and it'll sound the same as if someone bought aftermarket straight pipes to replace them with?

Also, if that's not deep/throaty enough for me, any suggestions to what I can do without making it obnoxiously loud or spending $1k? What other small exhaust mod can I do to get that throaty sound? Someone said a Fabspeed 300cell down pipe in addition to reso delete? Or what about reso delete + aftermarket muffler (but is that gonna cost me $1k+)?

Thanks for any help guys.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2016, 07:29 PM   #28
BimmerSales340
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2016 MSport 340

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
We offer REMUS midpipes for this car, unfortunately no video on a stock exhaust

They have sound clip for the full REMUS catback system on their website
Remus makes one and it's crazy expensive, I'll gladly make you a sound clip but not for $750 lol
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 12:16 AM   #29
f30m
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
But if I want to delete my reso's.. I can just go to a muffler shop and request they replace them with fitted stainless steel pipes and it'll sound the same as if someone bought aftermarket straight pipes to replace them with?

Also, if that's not deep/throaty enough for me, any suggestions to what I can do without making it obnoxiously loud or spending $1k? What other small exhaust mod can I do to get that throaty sound? Someone said a Fabspeed 300cell down pipe in addition to reso delete? Or what about reso delete + aftermarket muffler (but is that gonna cost me $1k+)?

Yeah you can go to just about any exhaust shop and they will do a resonator delete with stainless pipe. If that isn't enough for you, you can try a catless downpipe like the ones from ER or VM. Both are on sale for less than $400 from the vendors right now. They should give you more power and noise than a high-flo catted downpipe.
      11-23-2016, 02:19 PM   #30
bliskin27
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by f30m View Post
Quote:

Yeah you can go to just about any exhaust shop and they will do a resonator delete with stainless pipe. If that isn't enough for you, you can try a catless downpipe like the ones from ER or VM. Both are on sale for less than $400 from the vendors right now. They should give you more power and noise than a high-flo catted downpipe.
F30m,

If I got one of those DP's though, it will throw CEL codes requiring me to spend more $ on a tuner right? If that's the case, it'll prob cost $400-$800 for a tuner right? If so I wouldn't want to go that route and even if I did, wouldn't I have lease turn in problems?

I was thinking a fabspeed 300cell DP that won't throw codes but will that help my sound be throaty like I'm looking for or na?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 02:54 PM   #31
kentgbr
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i Sedan

For those who've tried it, is there any drone with a mid-pipe only setup that retains the stock muffler?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 03:28 PM   #32
f30m
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
F30m,

If I got one of those DP's though, it will throw CEL codes requiring me to spend more $ on a tuner right? If that's the case, it'll prob cost $400-$800 for a tuner right? If so I wouldn't want to go that route and even if I did, wouldn't I have lease turn in problems?

I was thinking a fabspeed 300cell DP that won't throw codes but will that help my sound be throaty like I'm looking for or na?
Correct, a catless downpipe will absolutely through throw a CEL without a tune or other work to eliminate it. But, even some high-flo catted downpipes will throw a CEL after a while. Just because it has a cat doesn't guarantee no CEL, unfortunately. I'm not totally familiar with the Fabspeed 300 cell, but if the company doesn't absolutely guarantee no CEL then you can't be sure. As an alternative to eliminating the light with a tune, some members have suggested an O2 sensor adapter/extender which costs less than $20. I haven't personally tried going that route, but a few people with experience with them say it works every time. If you do end up wanting to go with the Fabspeed DP, then just know that catted will basically always be quieter than a catless, but it will still be an improvement over stock. So, if theres guaranteed to be no CEL with Fabspeed and you can justify the price (which I assume is more) and sound difference vs catless, then go for it. Its always nice not having to worry about throwing a code.
      11-23-2016, 03:35 PM   #33
bliskin27
Rep

They do guarantee no CEL so that's a plus. And I think I've seen them for $250 plus install. You've been a great help.. but have one more question.

Can you suggest a muffler that would pair with a reso delete only and not going the DP route that wouldn't make it obnoxiously loud but at same time give that deep throaty growl I'm looking for? I guess I'm asking why go the DP/reso delete route instead of other way around (reso delete + after marker muffler)?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 11:08 PM   #34
f30m
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
They do guarantee no CEL so that's a plus. And I think I've seen them for $250 plus install. You've been a great help.. but have one more question.

Can you suggest a muffler that would pair with a reso delete only and not going the DP route that wouldn't make it obnoxiously loud but at same time give that deep throaty growl I'm looking for? I guess I'm asking why go the DP/reso delete route instead of other way around (reso delete + after marker muffler)?
Well I guess the biggest advantage of going dp+reso over reso+aftermarket muffler is the power gain. The factory downpipe is generally the most restrictive part of the exhaust. So if you'd like a nice power bump along with sound I'd say dp. I can't personally suggest any aftermarket mufflers for the 340 because I don't have one myself. I have always liked the look and sound of the one Dinan makes, but I think it's in the neighborhood of $1300 for a rear section only. So in my opinion it seems like a downpipe is the best upgrade you can do for your exhaust. I think it'll give you the biggest bang for your buck. Hope this helps a little.
      11-24-2016, 06:29 AM   #35
bliskin27
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by f30m View Post
Quote:

Well I guess the biggest advantage of going dp+reso over reso+aftermarket muffler is the power gain. The factory downpipe is generally the most restrictive part of the exhaust. So if you'd like a nice power bump along with sound I'd say dp. I can't personally suggest any aftermarket mufflers for the 340 because I don't have one myself. I have always liked the look and sound of the one Dinan makes, but I think it's in the neighborhood of $1300 for a rear section only. So in my opinion it seems like a downpipe is the best upgrade you can do for your exhaust. I think it'll give you the biggest bang for your buck. Hope this helps a little.
Thanks for all your input. I actually have a 440 though but I'm sure same advice goes. I'm gonna start with a reso delete and let them just put stainless steel pipes in place and see how I like it. Then from there I'll think about a DP.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2016, 10:09 AM   #36
f30m
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for all your input. I actually have a 440 though but I'm sure same advice goes. I'm gonna start with a reso delete and let them just put stainless steel pipes in place and see how I like it. Then from there I'll think about a DP.
That sounds like a good starting point, I might do a redo delete at some point too. Good luck.
      11-29-2016, 12:12 AM   #37
E90ROXS
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90

I would love it if someone could make a video on how to install the down pipe.
Appreciate 1
KD0754.50
      01-06-2017, 12:34 PM   #38
KD07
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90ROXS View Post
I would love it if someone could make a video on how to install the down pipe.
Agreed
      11-08-2017, 06:13 AM   #39
mookie45
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 AW 340i M-Sport

Bump this up...

Any more videos of just mid-pipe installed? Dinan or AWE?

I read somewhere the tubing in AWE's pipe creates more burbles/pops than a random muffler shop's pipe. Can anyone vouch for that?

How bad is drone just with mid-pipe and everything else stock?
      11-08-2017, 07:46 AM   #40
wassy4
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookie45 View Post
Bump this up...

I read somewhere the tubing in AWE's pipe creates more burbles/pops than a random muffler shop's pipe. Can anyone vouch for that?

Got the full AWE catback exhaust. AWE over Dinan imo.

AWE definitely burbles, cracks, and pops a ton but I don't think what that guy said about the tubing is true.

Previous - 2016 340i M-Sport | AWE Tuning Touring Edition Exhaust w/ Non-Resonated Performance Mid Pipe | Agency Power Intake | Active Autowerke Activ-8 | VRSF Catless Downpipe
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 09:53 AM   #41
mookie45
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 AW 340i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by wassy4 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mookie45 View Post
Bump this up...

Got the full AWE catback exhaust. AWE over Dinan imo.

AWE definitely burbles, cracks, and pops a ton but I don't think what that guy said about the tubing is true.
Yeah, love the AWE system but way over my budget.

Does anyone have a generic mid pipe installed with the same gun shot action as a named brand mid pipe?
      11-08-2017, 01:00 PM   #42
wassy4
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

I've heard muffler/resonator delete on a 340i and it still does the pops, they were higher pitched and not as loud though. It's more to do with the DME and all that stuff than the exhaust itself.

Previous - 2016 340i M-Sport | AWE Tuning Touring Edition Exhaust w/ Non-Resonated Performance Mid Pipe | Agency Power Intake | Active Autowerke Activ-8 | VRSF Catless Downpipe
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 06:41 PM   #43
G.Newt
Major
Rep
Drives: CT4-V Blackwing 6MT

CG DS-1 5" catted DP is great. Opens up the turbo spool and louder pops and bangs. I had it installed after my AWE catback, so I can't comment on just it or just the midpipe. They don't necessarily "guarantee" no CEL, but they do put that they have done lots of testing and compared emissions to the stock DP. I and a few others have been running them for 1000's of miles with no CEL. Maybe in 10 years the cat will go bad, but I have full faith and confidence in this. Was ~$640 from ECS. About $130 install from my shop, so under your $1k budget.

If I could go back, I would've kept my stock muffler for the valve. The cold start is really brutal and I feel awful for all my neighbors.
DAW v2.5 turbo E40 | Dorch S2 | VRSF DP | MST intake | AWE catback | 335is clutch | CSF heat exchanger | RK Autowerks intake manifold | Orange M Perf Brake Kit | KW Street Comfort coilovers | GTS taillights V2
Appreciate 0