E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > New to the 335D, exhaust and EGR help

10-23-2017, 11:47 AM   #1
TTStevens
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d

New to the 335D, exhaust and EGR help

I have narrowed down my search of 35D's and possibly have one picked out. I'm now starting to look into the mod process of it all. Firstly, the exhaust. What are the pros and cons of going catless when I put a new exhaust on? I live in a state that doesn't do emissions testing so other than that is there anything I need to be aware of?

Next item is the EGR. What are the pros and cons again for a block off plate, have the valve tuned shut, race pipe/EGR delete?

These are my primary questions at this time, but any guidance on these topics is very much appreciated. Links to threads, personal experience, and so on are all welcome. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 12:42 PM   #2
atwal187
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: bmw 335d e90 2009

Click the sticky option, it discusses everytning you need to know
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2017, 06:09 PM   #3
TTStevens
Enlisted Member
Rep

Should I do a tune first or an exhaust? I was leaning towards exhaust first, but I saw someone say the car might have issues with an exhaust but no tune? Is this true? And what kind of issues are we talking if it is true?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2017, 07:16 PM   #4
atwal187
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Do the exhaust and tune within the same time bracket, do the downpipe and Scr delete/Gut then it will throw you into limp mode . Very minimal power until you get it tuned, and make sure to delete the EGR
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 12:35 AM   #5
TTStevens
Enlisted Member
Rep

Hmmm... Okay. I was planning on doing one now and the other in a few months when I had some more money saved up. But it's sounding like I need to save my Benjamins a little longer to do both at once.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 06:25 AM   #6
335stoner
BRR tuned
Rep
Drives: 335D black

read the sticky section. then you will understand why you cant do one at a time..
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 07:29 AM   #7
rulonger
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d E90 & 2010 328i E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTStevens View Post
Hmmm... Okay. I was planning on doing one now and the other in a few months when I had some more money saved up. But it's sounding like I need to save my Benjamins a little longer to do both at once.
You will need to do the downpipe / EGR delete and the tune together. The rest of the exhaust (downpipe back) can wait for a few months. I did the first step and was waiting for the exhaust to be released. As it took too long, I just gutted the SCR and am still running that way.

If I may offer my 2 cents: procure the parts now and when you have the extra money, do it all at once. That is the cleanest way and you preserve your stock bits if in case you want to go back.
BB_cuda770.00
      10-25-2017, 11:17 AM   #8
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by rulonger View Post
You will need to do the downpipe / EGR delete and the tune together. The rest of the exhaust (downpipe back) can wait for a few months. I did the first step and was waiting for the exhaust to be released. As it took too long, I just gutted the SCR and am still running that way.

If I may offer my 2 cents: procure the parts now and when you have the extra money, do it all at once. That is the cleanest way and you preserve your stock bits if in case you want to go back.
If i may add if your'e trying to spread cost out over time, do the tune and deletes now and wait on exhaust costs until later with an exception on the exhaust. You will need to at least gut the SCR in the OEM exhaust to prevent it from clogging up. Several of us early adopters ran with full SCR there and starting clogging it up (without knowing so). Plenty stuff here on how to gut your SCR and this is a fairly cheap to do while you save money for that aftermarket exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 11:45 AM   #9
atwal187
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Gut the SCR, I learned the hard way and almost choked my motor to death without knowing so. Gutting it won't run you much . Go to an exhaust shop get the mid pipe cut out , take it home, angle grind a square portion off the top. Chisel and hammer all the gunk out. Get the welder to reweld the part you cut off and weld it back onto the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 02:36 PM   #10
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by atwal187 View Post
Gut the SCR, I learned the hard way and almost choked my motor to death without knowing so. Gutting it won't run you much . Go to an exhaust shop get the mid pipe cut out , take it home, angle grind a square portion off the top. Chisel and hammer all the gunk out. Get the welder to reweld the part you cut off and weld it back onto the car.
I politely disagree with cutting out the midpipe. Less welding needed if you only remove entire exhaust, do as atwal says in regard to the SCR, and have that same rectangle cutout rewelded back in. Don't be a hack when you cut the rectangle out so that the welder doesn't have a mess to weld back up. It really doesn't take that much time to pull entire exhaust. You just need a way to haul it to the welder.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
dmanb2b2156.50
      10-25-2017, 09:12 PM   #11
TTStevens
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rulonger View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_cuda View Post
If i may add if your'e trying to spread cost out over time, do the tune and deletes now and wait on exhaust costs until later with an exception on the exhaust. You will need to at least gut the SCR in the OEM exhaust to prevent it from clogging up. Several of us early adopters ran with full SCR there and starting clogging it up (without knowing so). Plenty stuff here on how to gut your SCR and this is a fairly cheap to do while you save money for that aftermarket exhaust.
Quote:
Originally Posted by atwal187 View Post

Well thank you all for the input, advice, and past expreince. I had just priced out a turbo back exhaust and saw it saved me a bit of money over doing a downpipe and then an exhaust, but it looks like I'll be doing them separate. And possibly sooner than later, depending on the final price the seller and I settle on. I wouldn't have to retune anything after I finally get around to doing the rest of the exhaust after I've already done a downpipe and tune, correct? Because the tune only would deal with the SCR in the downpipe and not much else in the exhaust?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_cuda View Post
I politely disagree with cutting out the midpipe. Less welding needed if you only remove entire exhaust, do as atwal says in regard to the SCR, and have that same rectangle cutout rewelded back in. Don't be a hack when you cut the rectangle out so that the welder doesn't have a mess to weld back up. It really doesn't take that much time to pull entire exhaust. You just need a way to haul it to the welder.
And I luckily I still have a truck so I can haul the exhaust wherever I need to go. I did a turbo back exhaust on my truck, so I think I should be able to handle pulling the exhaust on the 335D and reinstall. Only downside is I'll have to put it on jackstands inside of just sliding under with the creeper like with my truck. But then again, my truck was lifted 6" so half the time doing the exhaust I was doing a partial sit-up, ha ha. Not ideal. On the upside the 335 exhaust isn't a 4" pipe like my truck, so I won't have to work on getting my benchpress max up just to install. Ha.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 10:17 PM   #12
atwal187
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

All that's left is the mufflers, you can run those if you'd like as long as there is no DPF and SCR, but if u do delete the muffler it'll roar , believe me . Turbo whistle for days. But then again it's personal preference
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2017, 08:52 AM   #13
rulonger
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d E90 & 2010 328i E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTStevens View Post
I wouldn't have to retune anything after I finally get around to doing the rest of the exhaust after I've already done a downpipe and tune, correct?
CORRECT
      11-04-2017, 12:34 AM   #14
TTStevens
Enlisted Member
Rep

Were the black paddle shifters only an option on the M-sport or were they an option on other years? How easy (if even possible) is it to do a swap from the silver ones to the black ones?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2017, 02:41 PM   #15
TTStevens
Enlisted Member
Rep

Do any kits take care of the DPF and SCR in the same kit? Or is that going to be 2 separate things most likely?
Appreciate 0