E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > ST VS KW V1 Coilovers

02-02-2018, 11:23 AM   #1
SnapCoupe
BMW Portland
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe/E90 335i

ST VS KW V1 Coilovers

I know this topic has been debated before, but I feel like I have some unanswered questions.

I plan on purchasing coilovers in Spring, and I do not want to cheap out, as I have done that before with expected results. The coils will be going on a car that is double duty (daily driver, and summer track events) so I would like something pretty robust and that wont start leaking/blow out in 10k miles. From my understanding the ST coilovers are the same as the KW V1 in every respect except the type of material used for the bodies. ST is galvanized, and KW is 100% rust free.

I live in the PNW and we RARELY salt around here. The car does get driven in the winter months, but it will never see snow. Considering this, is it worth saving the $450 going with the ST's? Or are the KWs the better buy? I don't mind spending the extra $$$ but I just want to make sure there is actual value behind it.

Also, Fortune 500's are on my radar aswell.
MHD Stage 2+, VRSF Downpipe, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMS Intake, BMS Chargepipe, Performance Exhaust Mod, F10 550i Clutch, BMS CDV, BMW Performance SSK, M3 Control Arms, ST Coilovers, Apex ARC-8 wheels, Michelin PS4S
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2018, 11:50 AM   #2
atmosphericM
Basic Bimmer
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 328i 6MT ///M

Garage List
This may not help much but I was very happy with my ST's on my VW R32. That said, I only had them for a few thousand miles before I sold her, and I live in the sunny South. Anyway, they rode very well while I had them, and I had the rears as low as they'd go.

That said, my two cents says go with KW or something else 100% rust free if you get a snow much.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2018, 04:48 PM   #3
chris@strutmonkey
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

If you do not care about a bit of ugly rust over time, get the ST. Everything else is the same except shock body...

Name:  e90 st coilover kit.JPG
Views: 4928
Size:  145.1 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapCoupe View Post
I know this topic has been debated before, but I feel like I have some unanswered questions.

I plan on purchasing coilovers in Spring, and I do not want to cheap out, as I have done that before with expected results. The coils will be going on a car that is double duty (daily driver, and summer track events) so I would like something pretty robust and that wont start leaking/blow out in 10k miles. From my understanding the ST coilovers are the same as the KW V1 in every respect except the type of material used for the bodies. ST is galvanized, and KW is 100% rust free.

I live in the PNW and we RARELY salt around here. The car does get driven in the winter months, but it will never see snow. Considering this, is it worth saving the $450 going with the ST's? Or are the KWs the better buy? I don't mind spending the extra $$$ but I just want to make sure there is actual value behind it.

Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 05:58 PM   #4
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:

Same thing, only difference is the Galvanized VS stainless steel.

Only value is aesthetics and longevity of corrosion.

How long you keeping the car?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2018, 03:23 PM   #5
SnapCoupe
BMW Portland
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
Same thing, only difference is the Galvanized VS stainless steel.

Only value is aesthetics and longevity of corrosion.

How long you keeping the car?
Probably for 2 more years. I live in a place that doesn't salt, so would there even be that much corrosion in that case?
MHD Stage 2+, VRSF Downpipe, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMS Intake, BMS Chargepipe, Performance Exhaust Mod, F10 550i Clutch, BMS CDV, BMW Performance SSK, M3 Control Arms, ST Coilovers, Apex ARC-8 wheels, Michelin PS4S
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2018, 04:05 PM   #6
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Probably for 2 more years. I live in a place that doesn't salt, so would there even be that much corrosion in that case?
Probably not, unless you drive in a lot of rain.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2018, 11:03 AM   #7
SnapCoupe
BMW Portland
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
Probably not, unless you drive in a lot of rain.
Yeah, LOTS of rain. Probably 60% of my driving is in the rain up here in the PNW. The galvanization doesn't protect from mild rain-related corrosion?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2018, 12:01 PM   #8
Blueeyesredpanda
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 / F30

Is it possible to use ceramic coating or any protection layer like clear coat to cover up the shocks?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2018, 04:43 PM   #9
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, LOTS of rain. Probably 60% of my driving is in the rain up here in the PNW. The galvanization doesn't protect from mild rain-related corrosion?
It does but like any galvanized metal over time it just won't stand up to what a stainless steel product does in comparison. Then again, they aren't just going to fall off after a year they just won't look as pretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueeyesredpanda View Post
Is it possible to use ceramic coating or any protection layer like clear coat to cover up the shocks?
I use to get some clear coat at that auto parts store and throw a couple coats on any suspension components for an extra layer of protection.
Appreciate 0