E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > E92 335xi (N55) Hesitation backfiring no codes

02-26-2018, 02:04 PM   #23
Toome
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 335i M-Sport

Garage List
Any update on this? My logs are starting to look very similar to the above, and I am misfiring (especially after a shift). Rail pressure is dropping below 1400psi in several areas.

https://datazap.me/u/toome/mhd-stage...og=0&data=3-19
      02-27-2018, 08:50 AM   #24
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toome View Post
Any update on this? My logs are starting to look very similar to the above, and I am misfiring (especially after a shift). Rail pressure is dropping below 1400psi in several areas.

In your log its very clear that after every shift your target rail pressure and actual rail pressure is very different. It could be the pump or the rail fuel pressure sensor. But its not a good condition. You are have LEAN condition misfires from lack of fuel during that period. Lean misfires are HOT misfires. Its not good for your engine. You can burn exhaust valves...
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 10:10 AM   #25
Toome
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pladi View Post
Quote:

In your log its very clear that after every shift your target rail pressure and actual rail pressure is very different. It could be the pump or the rail fuel pressure sensor. But its not a good condition. You are have LEAN condition misfires from lack of fuel during that period. Lean misfires are HOT misfires. Its not good for your engine. You can burn exhaust valves...
Wow that is alarming. Glad I am back to stock for now. I've had misfires like this less than a dozen times, so hopefully I haven't done any permanent damage. I have checked for codes several times nothing has ever popped up.
      02-27-2018, 01:25 PM   #26
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

no dont worry. You for sure have not done permanent damage. You would have to run lean for longer to get to danging temperatures. But so many people just download MHD and flash stage 2 and run without monitoring the car... if it was so easy BMW would have added these powers stock. Everything has a limit. Everything was built with limits in mind..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 02:09 PM   #27
Toome
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
no dont worry. You for sure have not done permanent damage. You would have to run lean for longer to get to danging temperatures. But so many people just download MHD and flash stage 2 and run without monitoring the car... if it was so easy BMW would have added these powers stock. Everything has a limit. Everything was built with limits in mind..
That's relieving. Guess the newer style Late-E series HPFPs fail when they are pushed too hard for too long (since I am the second person this has happened to). Hopefully an upgraded HPFP is going to be made available soon. Gonna replace the rail pressure sensor first to rule that out and go from there. I'll keep this thread updated with my progress/findings.
      02-27-2018, 03:09 PM   #28
yayaya
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi E92 N55

Quote:
Quote:
That's relieving. Guess the newer style Late-E series HPFPs fail when they are pushed too hard for too long (since I am the second person this has happened to). Hopefully an upgraded HPFP is going to be made available soon. Gonna replace the rail pressure sensor first to rule that out and go from there. I'll keep this thread updated with my progress/findings.
I think I need to replace rail sensor too, Is this part just the fuel sensor? I could find rail sensor searching?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 03:16 PM   #29
Toome
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayaya View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I think I need to replace rail sensor too, Is this part just the fuel sensor? I could find rail sensor searching?
The rail pressure sensor is item #2 in that photo.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...r/13537620946/
Attached Images

02-27-2018, 03:39 PM   #30
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
i would not hold my breath on any more upgraded HPFP. They new versions are designed for less pressure. Not more.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 03:42 PM   #31
Toome
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
i would not hold my breath on any more upgraded HPFP. They new versions are designed for less pressure. Not more.
I saw on "s p o o l s t r e e t" that Twisted Tuning is working on a solution.
      02-28-2018, 08:30 AM   #32
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I saw on "s p o o l s t r e e t" that Twisted Tuning is working on a solution.
Interesting. LEts see what they come up with.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2018, 08:54 AM   #33
mwtrogus
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 35i

I know Vargas and Twisted Tuning were looking at the older style HPFP for improvements to the HPFP or overdriving it with Vargas kit, not the newer plunger style in late E and F series cars.
Tuning Tech has a dual pump conversion from M cars for the plunger style, but wants $5k for the upgrade.
Xtreme- DI has been developing a solution for quite some time, but nothing on the market yet.