E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > N55 Motiv Turbo Kits

03-22-2016, 08:42 AM   #45
JETmn
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive Msport

Garage List
2011 335Xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by loesch View Post
Are you saying that's what the VTT Stage 2 is? The Pure Turbos has a journal bearing and the GTX3076R is ball bearing.
Obviously the center section is stock, you can't change that out. I am talking about the wheels. It is also possible they are Blouch wheels, but not as likely.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 11:17 PM   #46
Nugget
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring, GR Supra GTS

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by loesch View Post
Are you saying that's what the VTT Stage 2 is? The Pure Turbos has a journal bearing and the GTX3076R is ball bearing.
I have a vague recollection of reading similar just before Vargas released the Stage 2 dual ball bearing turbo for N55.

I saved this post from Tony

Quote:
Also keep in mind, at 400 WHP the stock turbo is basically completely maxed out. For comparison sake Garrett rates their 53mm turbine wheel (same size as the stock turbine with their cast 60mm compressor at only 290 BHP.

You jump up to the 53.85 turbine and the GTX wheels and you have the GTX2867 which has a bigger turbine than the stock unit and a similar compressor wheel to the stage 1 and you get a BHP rating of 475, that is in native garrett housings which are much larger and more free flowing than the stock housings housing are. We used a turbo that is rated at 640 BHP expecting it to see 500-550 WHP with the smaller housings due to the efficient DI motor.

The stock turbo is able to make 400 WHP or 440BHP with such a small turbo also due it being such a efficient DI motor. Without upping the turbine size and just putting a bigger comp wheel, its going to be very hard to get much more power out of these things, flowing more up top is usually a by product of bigger A/R's and turbine wheels, not as much compressor wheels.

Compressor wheels can increase the efficiency of the turbo and usually make the same air at lower shaft speeds which will help increase life, etc. I would be very curious to see if the stage 1 would provide any increases over stock as the turbine wheel size is basically maxed out already at current levels. But you never know until you try. Interested in seeing dynos.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 10:28 AM   #47
loesch
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
I have a vague recollection of reading similar just before Vargas released the Stage 2 dual ball bearing turbo for N55.

I saved this post from Tony
Good info there. Thanks.
2011 135i M Sport 6MT LeMans Blue | Active Autowerke Gen II axle back | Berk d******* | N54 gutted mids | FuelIt Walbro 450 fuel pump | Pure Turbos Stage 2 | 3.5bar TMAP | Pure Turbos inlet pipe | BMS intake | BMS oil catch can | ETS intercooler | ETS charge pipe | BMS JB4 w/ ISO firmware | BMS backend flash stacked on PPK | Eibach springs | Whiteline rear subframe bushing inserts | cosmetic tidbits
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 02:56 AM   #48
DutterDK
Registered
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 Coupé FBO

Motiv contact

Hi guys

Saw the announcement from Motiv about a month ago about their new 'big turbo' kit for the n55. Wrote them an email, got no response, wrote to them on Facebook where Jake from Motiv responded quite fast, he told me to write an email which I did. They never got back to me, so wrote to them on facebook again - he got back again.. I could actually bore by repeating this again, but I think you get the patern, has any of you been lucky enough to buy from them?

They don't seem to come back to me, eventhough I'm REALLY interested in their new kit for the N55 ..

Sorry for my poor english - it's my second language.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 09:01 PM   #49
yas_e92
Private
Rep
Drives: F82 m4 E92 335

Garage List
Any update on the XDRIVE e92 n55 big turbo kits? 😅 I still can’t find any e92 n55 top mount options for AWD
Appreciate 0