E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Can caliper bleeder screws leak?

04-19-2019, 11:25 PM   #1
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Can caliper bleeder screws leak?

So I'm not sure if my leak is actually from the screw or maybe the line or something but last week I had low brake fluid warning, I only thought that maybe I didn't refill it before and since pads are getting thinner piston stays out more and that's hwy.

But today when doing my coilovers I noticed front left caliper had a lot of dirty gunk and on the bleeder screw there was some fluid, smelled it and seems like brake fluid.

I tighten it slightly more since it was already ok tight and cleaned it all up and watered it down, went in the car and just pumped the brakes and back at the the tip of the screw there seems to be more fluid.

I took it fully out and wiped it and put in back in and pumped the brake and now it seems to not leak to much... or not all time will tell?

But am I stupid or can a bleeder screw leak? Because there isn't any gaskets right it's only threads...?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 11:24 AM   #2
alex35i
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 2008 E90 335XI

Bleeder screw can leak. yes it is only threads. the very bottom of the valve has to seat correctly against the caliper, if its damaged in anyway then it wont sit flush and create a leak.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 02:16 PM   #3
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex35i View Post
Bleeder screw can leak. yes it is only threads. the very bottom of the valve has to seat correctly against the caliper, if its damaged in anyway then it wont sit flush and create a leak.
But how would damaged threads happened if nothing was touched? I did bleed my brakes but that was in like october last year. Perhaps it has always slow leaked till then?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 05:37 PM   #4
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive

get some new bleeder screw and Teflon tape for insurance.....and I would keep a good eye on them.
be sure to use only on upper threads as to not get into system.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2019, 05:59 AM   #5
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needbmwpartzz View Post
get some new bleeder screw and Teflon tape for insurance.....and I would keep a good eye on them.
I always thought teflon was a bad idea as brake fluid would break it down?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2019, 07:40 AM   #6
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewater328 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needbmwpartzz View Post
I always thought teflon was a bad idea as brake fluid would break it down?
yeah it may be a bad idea ,permatex thread sealant or new screws might be a better choice.
but in a pinch I would not hesitate to use Teflon tape but not as a permanent solution.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2019, 12:56 PM   #7
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
So I'm not sure if my leak is actually from the screw or maybe the line or something but last week I had low brake fluid warning, I only thought that maybe I didn't refill it before and since pads are getting thinner piston stays out more and that's hwy.

But today when doing my coilovers I noticed front left caliper had a lot of dirty gunk and on the bleeder screw there was some fluid, smelled it and seems like brake fluid.

I tighten it slightly more since it was already ok tight and cleaned it all up and watered it down, went in the car and just pumped the brakes and back at the the tip of the screw there seems to be more fluid.

I took it fully out and wiped it and put in back in and pumped the brake and now it seems to not leak to much... or not all time will tell?

But am I stupid or can a bleeder screw leak? Because there isn't any gaskets right it's only threads...?
I've never used any sealant type application on my bleeder screws. I have 162,000 miles on my stock calipers. I do make sure to change them out when I do a break job (about every 60-70,000 miles). In Michigan, we use salt on the roads during the winter months. Even with a 70,000 mile interval, I have to use a torch with yellow gas once in a while to get them out. You just hot it with the torch for 6-7 seconds 3-4 times and then try to turn it. Repeat process until it turns.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2019, 02:49 PM   #8
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
I've never used any sealant type application on my bleeder screws. I have 162,000 miles on my stock calipers. I do make sure to change them out when I do a break job (about every 60-70,000 miles). In Michigan, we use salt on the roads during the winter months. Even with a 70,000 mile interval, I have to use a torch with yellow gas once in a while to get them out. You just hot it with the torch for 6-7 seconds 3-4 times and then try to turn it. Repeat process until it turns.
I just checked again and there is some fluid in the tip of the bleeder. I guess I'll change the bleeder and see if it fixes it... but now the fluid leak is definitely less pronounced than before.

Last edited by TheMidnightNarwhal; 04-21-2019 at 02:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 10:03 AM   #9
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
I just checked again and there is some fluid in the tip of the bleeder. I guess I'll change the bleeder and see if it fixes it... but now the fluid leak is definitely less pronounced than before.
My big thing with bleeder screws is corrosion. They get clogged and therefore make it really difficult to bleed and change out the brake fluid. Living in the rust belt of the country has its challenges when owning & working on cars.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 01:53 PM   #10
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Curious, as I've never had to deal with this myself. In practice what's the easiest way to replace bleed screws to minimize brake fluid loss, and more importantly, avoid a mess?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 08:05 AM   #11
fxguru
Rep
Drives: Benz

Yes, they can leak, especially when getting old.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 08:07 AM   #12
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Curious, as I've never had to deal with this myself. In practice what's the easiest way to replace bleed screws to minimize brake fluid loss, and more importantly, avoid a mess?
I just pulled it out and had shop towels under.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 01:11 PM   #13
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I just pulled it out and had shop towels under.
Ahh, so like brake line replacement. Unscrew and hurry up and rescrew. Glad to know I wasnt amiss in my studies
Appreciate 0