E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Turbo howl at lower rpms

11-20-2019, 10:55 PM   #1
viacob
Rep
Drives: bmw 135i e88

Turbo howl at lower rpms

I just installed a catback Berk street exhaust and started getting this pronounced howl at low load 1k-3k rpms and deceleration. I am wondering if this means turbos are going out? I am still boosting normally but am too nervous to keep pushing it if the turbos are done.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/06Mu...#Lake_Stickney
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 12:13 PM   #2
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by viacob View Post
I just installed a catback Berk street exhaust and started getting this pronounced howl at low load 1k-3k rpms and deceleration. I am wondering if this means turbos are going out? I am still boosting normally but am too nervous to keep pushing it if the turbos are done.

I doubt your turbos went bad right after you installed a new exhaust.

Are you sure the new said doesn't have something to do with your new exhaust??

If you aren't burning a ton of oil, and you are hitting your boost targets...I'd say that your turbos are fine.
2007 335i, BMS DCI, BMS Chargepipe w/Tial BOV, ARM Catless Downpipes, silicone inlets, Bilstein B12 Prokit Suspension, Whiteline subframe bushings, Front/Rear M3 control arms, G-Plus FMIC, Stage 2 LPFP, Custom E40 tune by Justin (V8Bait), xHP stage 3 transmission flash, RB Two Turbos....10.90 @ 128mph
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 12:17 PM   #3
viacob
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iqraceworks View Post
Quote:

If you aren't burning a ton of oil, and you are hitting your boost targets...I'd say that your turbos are fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iqraceworks View Post
Quote:

I'm wondering if a turbo inlet could have popped off. The noise is noticeable with rpms. Wasn't doing that before the exhaust. It sounds like it's coming from under the passenger seat. Is there an easy way to check the inlets. Have not yet done any work by the turbos, eventually will swap them out just not sure show involved getting access to the inlets are
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 09:47 AM   #4
eyelobes
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 440i GC

Mine started howling between 1500-3000 rpm. Indy said they were going out, even though they didn't smoke and still held boost fine. When I swapped them out I took apart the stockers. Sure enough the turbine shaft on my rear turbo had a huge gouge in it and the bearing was binding something awful, reason for the howl.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 11:37 AM   #5
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Turbo howl can be normal on these cars, it's a common characteristic. Both my N54 cars have had turbo howl since pretty much day 1. That being said, unless you personally inspect the turbo's there really isn't any other way to know unless you have drivability issues, smoke, etc.

As you open up the exhaust more and more, you will hear a lot more new sounds.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 11:39 AM   #6
viacob
Rep

Sounds good thanks everyone. I have decided to ditch the turbos regardless in favor of single. I appreciate everyone's response!
Appreciate 0