E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Jerking/misfire during startup

09-13-2020, 03:55 PM   #1
Black_n54
Rep
Drives: 2010 bmw 335i

Jerking/misfire during startup

Recently purchased a 2010 335i xdrive with 140,000 miles. I changed the oil filter housing gasket . And some other Little things . I've noticed a slight misfire when cold and some slight jerking / sputter on the highway . Could this be the plugs and coils ? I purchased a set of 6 plugs and coils from Bosch .
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 05:04 PM   #2
Bimmer_Bro
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335xi LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_n54 View Post
Recently purchased a 2010 335i xdrive with 140,000 miles. I changed the oil filter housing gasket . And some other Little things . I've noticed a slight misfire when cold and some slight jerking / sputter on the highway . Could this be the plugs and coils ? I purchased a set of 6 plugs and coils from Bosch .
Is it throwing a check engine light when it misfires ? A Bad coil Or plug will usually throw and code and go into limp mode. I would replace the spark plugs and coils anyways.
It could also need a walnut blast. Do
You know when that was done last ?
      09-13-2020, 06:18 PM   #3
Black_n54
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer_Bro View Post
Quote:
Is it throwing a check engine light when it misfires ? A Bad coil Or plug will usually throw and code and go into limp mode. I would replace the spark plugs and coils anyways.
Quote:
Quote:
No I do not . I just bought the car . Looks like I'll start at the coils and plugs . Thanks for the fast reply .
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 06:20 PM   #4
Black_n54
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
No I do not . I just bought the car . Looks like I'll start at the coils and plugs . Thanks for the fast reply .
Quote:
Quote:
And also , no check engine light but it's not bad either so maybe a plug or coil is on its way out ? It's like a hiccup . Just hope it's not injectors
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 07:41 AM   #5
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

When your new plugs come in, let the car sit for a while, like overnight, and when you remove your old plugs take a close look at them and see if any are wet with fuel and/or you smell fuel. Take note which cylinder each plug came out of to keep track of suspects.

One smart thing BMW did was place the injectors directly over the plugs so if any are leaking, they will typically wet the plug - this helps for diagnosis, but it also causes misfires at startup because the plug is wet.

Make sure the valley in the head/valve cover is clean of debris and possible oil before removing the plugs. Dirt likes to collect up there and oil will puddle if you have an VCG leak, or if someone was careless during an oil change/fill.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 07:44 AM   #6
Black_n54
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilime75 View Post
When your new plugs come in, let the car sit for a while, like overnight, and when you remove your old plugs take a close look at them and see if any are wet with fuel and/or you smell fuel. Take note which cylinder each plug came out of to keep track of suspects.

One smart thing BMW did was place the injectors directly over the plugs so if any are leaking, they will typically wet the plug - this helps for diagnosis, but it also causes misfires at startup because the plug is wet.

Make sure the valley in the head/valve cover is clean of debris and possible oil before removing the plugs. Dirt likes to collect up there and oil will puddle if you have an VCG leak, or if someone was careless during an oil change/fill.
Ok thank you I'll check that out .
Appreciate 0