E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Flickering Number Plate LEDS

05-16-2021, 11:00 AM   #1
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330D M Sport

Flickering Number Plate LEDS

Hi All,

Today (before it tipped down) I was having a go at fixing the number plate led lights, I noticed that if I wiggled at the connector they would go on and off. I used a connector pin removal tool only to find the wires are in pristine condition, it seemed that the metal connectors on the LED lights themselves have a slightly smaller diameter and they don't fit snug into the light connector.

I then came up with a pretty good idea, I cut the plastic off of some ferrules I had and then used a pick to open the crushed end. I then slid the ferrule over the LED probes to slightly enlarge the diameter. The LED's are bright and absolutely solid with no signs of flickering what so ever. I suppose its hit and miss with the LED's you buy but this is a quick and cheap fix.

Ferrule Set - Blue E2508 14AWG 2.5mm

Cutting Plastic off Ferrule

Crushed Ferrule From Cutting

Slid Ferrule over Pick To Recreate Shape

Ferrule Over Pin

Since doing the first ferrule I slightly changed the rest by sliding the ferrule only partly down and then crushing the end to make it easier for the connector to slide on and stop the ferrule from being pushed further down.

It really didn't take long and they're absolutely perfect now, one of many faults to fix!
Appreciate 0