E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > ICOM interface programming

07-14-2021, 03:34 PM   #1
Jujuchua
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

ICOM interface programming

Hello I wanted to see if anyone has heard of ICOM A B C and all the variations of the letters. The reason I ask is because I am trying to program the interface to have something like android auto on my idrive. I first started looking into enet than all the other types of wires. Then I wondered what the purpose of laptop and different wires would be. I learned about code you can change but the more I looked into it I finally found that I need an icom A and B.

I have a 335d.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 06:38 PM   #2
eku1s
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i M Sport 2011 LCI

You won't be able to code any CarPlay or Android auto features on any E90. These cars were built long before these smartphone interfaces were even available, so your only option is to retrofit a newer infotainment computer (like the NBT EVO), which in my opinion isn't worth bothering with due to high cost.. unless of course you fancy an expensive project. There are people who've done it if you search around.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 06:37 AM   #3
mike5124
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i (E90)

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jujuchua View Post
Hello I wanted to see if anyone has heard of ICOM A B C and all the variations of the letters. The reason I ask is because I am trying to program the interface to have something like android auto on my idrive. I first started looking into enet than all the other types of wires. Then I wondered what the purpose of laptop and different wires would be. I learned about code you can change but the more I looked into it I finally found that I need an icom A and B.

I have a 335d.
You don't need ICOM for that and it wouldn't be possible, if you already have iDrive, cheapest way would be to buy and install an CarPlay/Android Auto MMI box. Bimmer tech sells this for $700 but you can find the exact same unit on AliExpress for around $250. Good brands are Road Top, Kremersino, and Andream.
Appreciate 1