E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Passed NJ state inspection with NO cats (catless) and MHD tune

12-11-2021, 04:42 PM   #1
CrzyChris5
CrzyChris5
United_States
Rep
Drives: X4 M40i

Passed NJ state inspection with NO cats (catless) and MHD tune

So I have a 2017 BMW X4 M40i with full bolt ons and fully catless, running MHD stage 2+ tune. Was due for inspection this month and I was stressing out being catless. I just decided to go get the inspection and see what happens, so in case I fail, I would then try other things before the month ends.

I have been on the same settings of my tune for a long time without making any changes.

I went to Richard's Service Station at 1459 Springfield Ave, Maplewood, NJ 07040. Never been there before, but I opted for a private business location rather than a state run service like at the DMV. I was in and out in 10 min. My car looks heavily modded but they never asked any questions about my mods. They did not do any visual inspections and did not look under the car to see if I have cats.

Anyway, the guy connected his OBDII cable to my car then ran the program on his computer. He then went inside and came out with my new inspection sticker a few minutes later. I have a heavy tint on my front windshield as well and he helped cut out a square piece on the tint to put the sticker on the car. I already had a cutout in my tint for the old sticker, but the new stickers are much bigger so he helped widen the cut. He didn't bother me about having the tint or any other visible mods.

So I guess if you are catless and have an MHD tune then you can pass no problem. This place was about 40 min from my house and I also drove agressively there to make sure my engine and exhaust were nicely warmed up before I got there. Again, I have not played around with any settings on the MHD tune for a while. Do not clear any codes and do not reset anything, otherwise you will have to do a bunch of drive cycles to get everything back in shape.

Attached is a picture of my MHD error codes. Taken right before the inspection. I think that if your MHD readout is the same as mine, you will pass New Jersey emission testing via OBDII. Even though the readout for the Catalyst says "not available", I guess it did not make a difference. When I was done I left. They never gave me any paper showing any codes or any info as to what I passed or potentially failed. NJ does allow for 1 mistake and you can still pass. They gave me a receipt. It cost $75 for the service.
Attached Images

12-11-2021, 06:04 PM   #2
opjose
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Interesting.

In MD having either of those catalysts messages flags you for a fail.
Cats have to show ready.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2021, 06:04 PM   #3
Dave92N54
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i 6MT

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Yes, as long as your state allows one monitor to be not ready, you will pass while catless with MHD.
      12-11-2021, 06:05 PM   #4
Dave92N54
Major
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by opjose View Post
Interesting.

In MD having either of those catalysts messages flags you for a fail.
Cats have to show ready.
Don't believe this is correct. Only information I ever found about this for us was that you can have either the evap or catalyst monitor to be unready. I'll see if I can find it again.

Edit: https://mde.maryland.gov/programs/Ai...site%20_4_.pdf

Yup.
      12-12-2021, 02:38 PM   #5
opjose
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Interesting.

Went in last week and I was talking to the guy that was doing my car at the time.

I asked this very question and was told that they needed to see the cat go ready or they would flag the car. He said that this is what they are primarily interested in.
Appreciate 1
Dave92N54532.00
      12-13-2021, 01:11 PM   #6
Dave92N54
Major
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by opjose View Post
Interesting.

Went in last week and I was talking to the guy that was doing my car at the time.

I asked this very question and was told that they needed to see the cat go ready or they would flag the car. He said that this is what they are primarily interested in.
Completely possible they changed it. If they did however that means they didn't publish anything easily accessible saying so.
      12-13-2021, 03:43 PM   #7
Spyro235
Captain
Rep
Drives: '10 X5D, '04 330i ZHP

Why you gatta blow them up?! This is not the DL, if they're doing enthusiasts a favor, please don't post their name pubically lmao. That's why shops/ inspection stations don't do people solid anymore!
I'll be finding out, my new-to-me n54 is high flow cat and I'll have it on mhd, so we'll see. I also have to ge tmy 35d inspected again at some point.

Appreciate 1
Bobh5953.00
      12-13-2021, 05:37 PM   #8
CrzyChris5
CrzyChris5
United_States
Rep
Drives: X4 M40i

I am not putting anyone on the spot. I posted the location of where I had my car inspection simply because I passed there. Different places have different protocols. Some places even check under the hood and under the car. This place did not, so if I passed here, then why not help others in my situation pass too? This place was definitely not doing me any favors. I had never heard of them before I went there. I am also not promoting them in any way. They did everything by the book. I passed simply because NJ allows for 1 margin of error and in this case my 1 error was not having the cats. But their computer simply gives a PASS or a FAIL. I got a PASS. Others may too, with my setup.

I hope what I posted helps others to not stress out as much if catless and running a tune. I don't know about other states and their rules. I posted about NJ only.
      12-22-2021, 12:36 PM   #9
Navykiller
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335is Stick

I was terrified from going to inspection in NJ. I was scared that my... completely stock and definitely legal car .... wasnt going to pass. But JB4 MHD BEF here with meth, and it passed fine. Not even sure I had anything reset in it to do the dumb reset cycle of weird driving pattern bmw needs/

To add, Im a block away from Maplewood, but went to Rahway DMV to get it inspected.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2021, 05:15 PM   #10
roadkillrob
Major General
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

Your readiness monitors are a bit interesting, usually with a tune they just kill the error so you don't get a check engine light but the readiness will usually show not incomplete or eventually not ready (my 08 for example will just say endlessly not ready for catalyst with the tune on it) - yours says not available which is different that means the monitor is actually turned off and depending on how the check is setup, normally things not available means they are not implemented on the car and would be ignored unless they specifically require catalyst. So if the NJ system only cares for things available to be ready then it is ignoring catalyst which is a win!
Appreciate 0