E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > One vBand stopping install! 🆘

02-11-2022, 09:38 AM   #1
redlineclipse
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

One vBand stopping install! 🆘

So I'm just doing the catless dp install. I know the install is a pain and I have read so many posts and watched several videos before jumping in. I was gonna break a record because I studied and was ready for the challenge. I ended up breaking four bolts and crushing my thumb. Nonetheless, the rear most Vband is stuck and I can't remove it. The bolt loosened to the point of having only about 2 turns left and then it just started twisting the clamp. The clamp will move around and rotate but is not loose enough to remove. It's a beast to reach, hence the possibly broken thumb. I have soaked it in PB blaster multiple times...the bolt not the thumb. I can't safely reach it with a torch. Any ideas? I literally have everything else done. All four o2 sensors are out, mounts and all exhaust bolts. One flipping Vband and one bad hand stand between me and success. I thought about cutting the bolt so that I can remove the Vband and worry with the extraction in a more reasonable position...like upright . Any ideas on an easy way to cut the bolt with very little room?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 11:38 AM   #2
Bimmer_Bro
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335xi LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlineclipse View Post
So I'm just doing the catless dp install. I know the install is a pain and I have read so many posts and watched several videos before jumping in. I was gonna break a record because I studied and was ready for the challenge. I ended up breaking four bolts and crushing my thumb. Nonetheless, the rear most Vband is stuck and I can't remove it. The bolt loosened to the point of having only about 2 turns left and then it just started twisting the clamp. The clamp will move around and rotate but is not loose enough to remove. It's a beast to reach, hence the possibly broken thumb. I have soaked it in PB blaster multiple times...the bolt not the thumb. I can't safely reach it with a torch. Any ideas? I literally have everything else done. All four o2 sensors are out, mounts and all exhaust bolts. One flipping Vband and one bad hand stand between me and success. I thought about cutting the bolt so that I can remove the Vband and worry with the extraction in a more reasonable position...like upright . Any ideas on an easy way to cut the bolt with very little room?
Do you have a one ended hack saw? Or you can take the blade out of a hack saw.... can you get that up there to slowly cut the bolt?
      02-11-2022, 05:12 PM   #3
IllSic_Design
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 12 E92 328i

I once cut that bolt off with a sawzall on someone's car I was doing DP's on because of the same issue. It was a pain in the ass to do but it worked. I used a super long metal cutting blade and was careful not to hit anything else
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 06:35 PM   #4
redlineclipse
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

Got it!!!! RIP left thumb....you will be missed! Used a compact hacksaw. It took a lot of fighting but.... It's out. Thanks for the suggestions.
Appreciate 0