E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Aging NOx catalyst warning code N53 engine

09-10-2021, 03:31 PM   #23
0l0dom0l0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUDELA View Post
I see - any reason why you don't try another cat replace in ISTA? Even if it only works for a few months perhaps it will get you through until winter?
Main reason is that the 'proper' way of doing it requires a complete adaption re set which takes a fair few miles to get things re learned again afterwards and as the car is running/ idling/ starting perfectly at the moment, I'm not wanting to fix something that isn't broken.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2021, 04:12 PM   #24
MichaelMc
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 330i n53

Hi mate, thanks for the reply! I will monitor the lambda values and see what happens, I have also been in contact with map-tech about solutions, they can map out the rear NOx cats as well or something not sure if that'll help? My error codes are 30E9 - NOx Catalytic converter, ageing, 2B07 - NOx sensor, electric, 2B06 NOx sensor, lambda linear, 2AFB - NOx sensor, lambda binary.

Although I have since been able to clear the NOx sensor codes and I haven't checked in a few but they didn't come back. However, I'll check tomorrow as they code have came back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUDELA View Post
Hi Michael- tried to PM but it wouldn't allow so I'll try and paraphrase what I had written. I've heard Protools is pretty good. I had looked into it but I have an iPhone and believe it's only on Android. I opted for Bimmerlink and Bimmercode which are both good. The way I can tell if the car is going into Stratified is by watching the lambda values. If they consistently get up to 1.99 and stay there then that's stratified mode. Otherwise the readings are down near 1.0. I would assume you should be able to monitor that on Protools. What are the specific error codes present on your vehicle and what model/year do you have and how many miles?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2021, 12:22 PM   #25
AUDELA
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i N53 3.0L (E93) 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelMc View Post
Hi mate, thanks for the reply! I will monitor the lambda values and see what happens, I have also been in contact with map-tech about solutions, they can map out the rear NOx cats as well or something not sure if that'll help? My error codes are 30E9 - NOx Catalytic converter, ageing, 2B07 - NOx sensor, electric, 2B06 NOx sensor, lambda linear, 2AFB - NOx sensor, lambda binary.

Although I have since been able to clear the NOx sensor codes and I haven't checked in a few but they didn't come back. However, I'll check tomorrow as they code have came back.
Those codes are the exact ones I was getting. The 2B07 NOx sensor, electric is apparently the tell-tale sign that the NOx sensor is no longer working. And I'd be highly surprised if you can clear the codes for any amount of time. You can also monitor whether the NOX sensor is giving a sulfur level reading.

I'd be very curious to know if you decide to go with the Maptech route. All I can tell you for sure is that if you replace the NOX sensor with an OEM, you will definitely need to run the Nox Cat replace function in INPA in order to clear the NOX cat ageing error. Once you do that the car will go into stratified mode. And you should also see a significant performance improvement.

However having done the above earlier this year and now after less than 4000 miles I'm no longer seeing the car go into stratified mode. And the dreaded NOX cat ageing error may still return, at which point I'm not sure what I'll do.

Best of luck - be in touch.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2022, 05:42 PM   #26
Milo95
Rep
Drives: BMW E93 325i N53B30

Hello all,

since buying my E93, the primary bank 1 cat is rattling and the CEL has come up a few times confirming my suspicion.. fuel consumption is also not the greatest…
The next ‘modification’ on my car is to delete the primary cats (resolving the issue) and then replace the secondaries with 200-cell high flow cats.

from the extensive reading on forums there seems to be mixed messages about Nox readings then preventing the engine to run in stratified mode - either an Ista/d nox regen or Nox delete being suggested approaches to resolve this?

The aim of this is to get fuel economy improved and also open up the sound of the beautiful NA engine..I have index 11 injectors that were done under recall as well as the HPFP.

wanted to get others opinions on this to see what remaps would keep the ECU happy once i have this mod done?

I’m thinking if I keep secondary cats, this would make the Nox sensor slightly happier?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2022, 03:29 PM   #27
SvenHz
Rep
Drives: 2011 318i E90 LCI

I personally can only recommend NOXEM. I have one in my N43 after I could not get rid of 30EA anymore due to speed restrictions here in NL. And I have also helped 5 people with N43 and N53 engines do the injector adaptation routine after NOXEM installation; all these were in various states of neglect; some had not seen stratified charge in years, causing all kinds of issues. All these people are extremely satisfied and NOXEM has performed well, with 1 failure which was caused by installation error causing the voltage protection in the NOXEM to trip. Requiring a roundtrip (under warranty) to Bimmerprofs.
In short I would not opt for “NOX delete”; I would not trust modifications to engine management software. NOXEM really does ensure stratified charge which in turn keeps N43/N53 happy.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2022, 02:13 AM   #28
Milo95
Rep
Drives: BMW E93 325i N53B30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvenHz View Post
I personally can only recommend NOXEM. I have one in my N43 after I could not get rid of 30EA anymore due to speed restrictions here in NL. And I have also helped 5 people with N43 and N53 engines do the injector adaptation routine after NOXEM installation; all these were in various states of neglect; some had not seen stratified charge in years, causing all kinds of issues. All these people are extremely satisfied and NOXEM has performed well, with 1 failure which was caused by installation error causing the voltage protection in the NOXEM to trip. Requiring a roundtrip (under warranty) to Bimmerprofs.
In short I would not opt for “NOX delete”; I would not trust modifications to engine management software. NOXEM really does ensure stratified charge which in turn keeps N43/N53 happy.
How many Noxems are needed? I believe there are 2x sensors on the car (up & downstream)
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2022, 07:47 AM   #29
Oldwiggy
England
Rep
Drives: BMW E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo95 View Post
How many Noxems are needed? I believe there are 2x sensors on the car (up & downstream)
There only one nox sensor, on an n53 you’ve got 2 o sensors upstream of the nox, one for each bank of 3.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2022, 08:33 AM   #30
0l0dom0l0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 330i

To be clear both N43 and N53 engines only have a single NOX sensor located in the rear section of the exhaust before the backbox attaches.

N53 cars have 4 lambda sensors and N43 have 2. N53 has 2 "banks", vs the N43 only having one. The lambda sensors are pre and post primary cat for both cars.
Appreciate 1
Phil325i630.00