E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Oil Cooler O-Ring Sweating (Drivers Side)

04-17-2022, 01:43 AM   #1
gster109
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i e90

Have seen all the posts there are about this issue, most suggested the thermo gasket which doesnt have a replacement gasket. (you have to use RTV or find an equivalent O-ring.)

Did that & I'm still getting the sweating.. I've literally just re done the OFHG & OCG gaskets & oil cooler o rings.

I was thinking to unscrew the oil cooler h clamp bolt just enough to get some wiggle room to readjust the way it sits on the cooler, I assume it may be crooked????

I guess my main question is, would you guys prime the engine oil after removing that h clamp??? I have OE (Vaico, I believe) o-rings in now, is it worth swapping them to OEM BMW???

I hear these h clamps are finicky and require readjustment.

Any tricks?? Would I be safe to drive it around 100km 1 way without cleaning it?? I get maybe a drop of sweat resting on the housing beside the drivers side oil cooler o ring.

NO OIL HAS TOUCHED THE BELT SO FAR.

Last edited by gster109; 04-17-2022 at 01:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2022, 08:19 AM   #2
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

If is just sweating a little leave it a lone for now. It’s just matter of time before you need to do some other work so do it all together. You can just clean it from time to time. Oem o-rings are the best. This is where you want them. Don’t get over zealous tightening the bolt. You don’t want to bent the H clamp. Careful inserting the lines as they are aluminum and if by an angle you can bent them too. Also no need to prime the engine as you aren’t draining the oil so there will be lot of it in the pump.
Appreciate 1
      04-17-2022, 02:00 PM   #3
gster109
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
If is just sweating a little leave it a lone for now. It's just matter of time before you need to do some other work so do it all together. You can just clean it from time to time. Oem o-rings are the best. This is where you want them. Don't get over zealous tightening the bolt. You don't want to bent the H clamp. Careful inserting the lines as they are aluminum and if by an angle you can bent them too. Also no need to prime the engine as you aren't draining the oil so there will be lot of it in the pump.
Thank you kindly for your input man.

I understand where you're coming from but I just redid every gasket in that area & it'll be a while before I get a leak there again. The sweating will just erk my OCD.

ANy suggestions in regards to fixing this sweating?? Should i uncsrew it just enough to readjust or swap orings entirely ? Like i said it's one drop of accumulated oil on the drivers side oil cooler hose after a 20km drive.

And you're positive about not priming? I wont be introducing an air pocket if I remove that h clamp? Does this not fall into the TSB to prime engine after any oil component is touched?

Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2022, 07:34 AM   #4
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gster109 View Post
Thank you kindly for your input man.

I understand where you're coming from but I just redid every gasket in that area & it'll be a while before I get a leak there again. The sweating will just erk my OCD.

ANy suggestions in regards to fixing this sweating?? Should i uncsrew it just enough to readjust or swap orings entirely ? Like i said it's one drop of accumulated oil on the drivers side oil cooler hose after a 20km drive.

And you're positive about not priming? I wont be introducing an air pocket if I remove that h clamp? Does this not fall into the TSB to prime engine after any oil component is touched?

Thanks again.
You don’t know when component will start leaking. I hope it will be a while as you said but you just don’t know. If you are working on this replace both o-rings and the bolt too. To my knowledge there isn’t such TSB in existence. Isn’t done even during oil change. So my final answer is no.
Appreciate 1
      04-19-2022, 11:58 AM   #5
ichibanset
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 09 e90 335i

I might have the same issue as you.. My oil cooler lines were leaking therefore I sourced out used lines and replaced the leaky ones with oem o rings and had some minor leak on the driver side hose after install therefore I made adjustment to see if the hose lined up properly no leaks and days later I some oil sweating from the same area but then I found out that my thermostat cover was leaking and thought maybe its coming from there so I just changed it with O-ring yesterday. Checked this morning to see if there was a leak and sure enough there is still a little sweating from the driver side hose.. I'll keep an eye out on mine..
      04-19-2022, 12:16 PM   #6
gster109
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichibanset View Post
I might have the same issue as you.. My oil cooler lines were leaking therefore I sourced out used lines and replaced the leaky ones with oem o rings and had some minor leak on the driver side hose after install therefore I made adjustment to see if the hose lined up properly no leaks and days later I some oil sweating from the same area but then I found out that my thermostat cover was leaking and thought maybe its coming from there so I just changed it with O-ring yesterday. Checked this morning to see if there was a leak and sure enough there is still a little sweating from the driver side hose.. I'll keep an eye out on mine..
Ughhhhh n54 problems lol. Is it just 1 drop on the connection hose o ring part right off the oil cooler??

Whats the farthest you've driven with it like this? Has a drop gotten on the belt?

Keep us updated
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2022, 12:40 PM   #7
gster109
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Blank

I appreciate the advice, thank you.

Are you referring to the H clamp bolt??

Also I was just referring to that TSB saying that when any part of the oil system is touched (like for ofhg job) the engine needs to be primed.

I guess you're saying that those lines dont really count for that tsb???

Thanks again, feuer
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2022, 01:15 PM   #8
ichibanset
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ughhhhh n54 problems lol. Is it just 1 drop on the connection hose o ring part right off the oil cooler??

Whats the farthest you've driven with it like this? Has a drop gotten on the belt?

Keep us updated
I've been driving it since its my daily at least 40+ miles everyday. It has not gotten on the belts. I'll keep you posted on what happens in a couple of days.
      04-19-2022, 01:19 PM   #9
gster109
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Keep us updated
I've been driving it since its my daily at least 40+ miles everyday. It has not gotten on the belts. I'll keep you posted on what happens in a couple of days.
Whats the farthest you've driven cumulatively without cleaning it??

Let us know the updates!!

I'm swapping to oem o ring.

I discovered myself last night that the drivers side line has some twist to it. Like u can move the line a bit towards in interior or the front bumper a bit. Hopefully adjusting it in that sense fixes it. Havent driven it since that "fix".
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2022, 03:59 PM   #10
Jklad
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Quote:

Also I was just referring to that TSB saying that when any part of the oil system is touched (like for ofhg job) the engine needs to be primed.

Thanks again, feuer
That tsb was added a few years ago after decades of replacing ofhg on bmws without priming anything as part of the repair. My 335i with 155k miles has had the ofhg and oc gaskets and oil lines replaced on at least 6 occasions and is just fine. I did ask them to prime after replacing my turbos though. (And oil pan).
      04-19-2022, 05:16 PM   #11
gster109
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jklad View Post
Quote:

Thanks again, feuer
That tsb was added a few years ago after decades of replacing ofhg on bmws without priming anything as part of the repair. My 335i with 155k miles has had the ofhg and oc gaskets and oil lines replaced on at least 6 occasions and is just fine. I did ask them to prime after replacing my turbos though. (And oil pan).
Those oil cooler o rings are just a bitch to sit just perfectly i guess?

Appreciate the input. gives me some peace of mind.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2022, 10:32 PM   #12
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Thanks again, feuer
Yes, the bolt that holds the hoses in place. No need for priming. Forget the TSB, that is for something else. I do the o-rings on the lines with as little as bottle cup worth of oil spilled. Must insert with care and tighten to spec.
Appreciate 2
Jklad422.00
      04-19-2022, 10:34 PM   #13
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Not for o-rings on the lines. You aren’t draining the housing. Absolutely not needed. If job wasn’t done correctly and subpar parts were use it will have to be reworked, thus the 6 times. Sorry that you had to go through that.
Appreciate 1
Jklad422.00
      04-19-2022, 11:45 PM   #14
Jklad
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
Quote:
Not for o-rings on the lines. You aren’t draining the housing. Absolutely not needed. If job wasn’t done correctly and subpar parts were use it will have to be reworked, thus the 6 times. Sorry that you had to go through that.
Oh no it was just a typical bmw low
mileage oil leak issue - seems like the general ofhg area seems to start seeping oil from 'somewhere' every 30-40k miles, even though I've always replaced the ofhg, oc gasket, and o-rings together each and every time lol.
      04-20-2022, 12:01 AM   #15
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Oh no it was just a typical bmw low
mileage oil leak issue - seems like the general ofhg area seems to start seeping oil from 'somewhere' every 30-40k miles, even though I've always replaced the ofhg, oc gasket, and o-rings together each and every time lol.
I have been through similar scenario multiple times on my n54 that had owned for a decade already. Once started leaking again only after 3-5k miles. Last time I replaced the bolts too and use torque wrench. It has been over 30k and has been ok. Oem gasket, oem o-rings and new bolts with torque in spec is a recipe for loner lasting repair.
Appreciate 2
Jklad422.00
      04-22-2022, 12:12 PM   #16
ichibanset
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Here's an update on mine. I unbolted the lines and realigned the hoses and finally no more leaks....
      04-22-2022, 08:14 PM   #17
gster109
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Here's an update on mine. I unbolted the lines and realigned the hoses and finally no more leaks....
Same, but all I had to do was wiggle the hose towards the front bumper and i guess it made it sit perfectly flush now. No sweat bead of oil 👍👍
Appreciate 1
feuer4282.50