E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > MHD Stage2 much quieter than Stg0, why that?

12-08-2020, 02:11 AM   #23
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnobDE View Post
These are OEM MHI (Mitsubishi) turbos.

A local shop did it for me, they did a lot to my car in the past and I was always more than pleased, but this time Iīm still struggling to get them fix this for me, didnīt pay anything yet to them tho ..

Wednesday (9.12) Iīll let my car check with smoke, to find the boost leak, also they will check if everything was installed properly (A/C is already empty, it wasnīt really tight under the air box).

Another thing I noticed with stage 2, if I start the car in the morning and start driving, it howls pretty loud, coming from the turbos, I donīt have that with Stage 0. Either its a hard boost leak or on of the turbos is already trash
New turbos shouldn't be trash mate, most likely something else is causing the issue.

Boost leak test should help,
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2020, 05:28 AM   #24
KnobDE
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Did a boost leak test at 2 workshops now, non of them could find anything..
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2022, 06:00 AM   #25
Jonas225
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Just found that thread...i had the same situation back then when i first flashed MHD. Much quieter with any stage.

The reason is that there are different stock softwares. This "problem" only exists with I8A0S. Earlier models (2006 - 09/2007) often had extensive wastegate rattle. BMW created an update with less wgdc off boost (pre control table / MHD rattle fix option) as standard for these older models. You can feel the turbo lag with that software.

There was a service action, where the wastegates or turbos were replaced by BMW under warranty. Only if that action was performed, the more quiet software was flashed again.

If you want that "quiet" stock software, just add "WGAK" to your VO, and let IS*A-P calculate a measures plan. It will give you the ZB number which you can flash with IS*A-P or WINK*P.
Appreciate 2