E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Switching from Dinan tune to MHD

08-28-2022, 01:32 PM   #1
Milkbar
Rep
Drives: E92

Switching from Dinan tune to MHD

Hi all,

Currently running Dinan stage 2. I have decided to bite the bullet and switch over to MHD so I can run its stage 2+. This will be my first time using MHD so I was wondering how does MHD save the current flash tune. I live in California so I will need to reflash either back to Stock or this current Dinan tune in order to pass smog. Do I need to switch back to stock tune before I flash with MHD or can I just go straight from Dinan to MHD tune?

Thanks.

Last edited by Milkbar; 08-28-2022 at 10:28 PM.. Reason: Changed mind
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2022, 09:11 AM   #2
Mdilo
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi

I tried to find the answer to this question myself. My tuner said when you return to stock tune with MHD it probably installs MHD's BMW factory tune file they use. I then contacted MHD and I almost received a clear answer. Emails with MHD below.
ME:
When my car is tuned with an MHD map is actual the stock tune that’s currently in the car saved? So if I take the MHD tune out and go back to stock it my actual stock bmw tune that was in my car from new reinstalled or is it just a default stock tune that MHD has? I’m asking because if I go to the dealer and they install updated DME software to fix an issue and then I tune with MHD and than later go back to stock. Will the actual updated stock tune that the dealer just installed going to go back in the DME or will a default BMW MHD stock tune be installed?
Thank you

MHD response:
mhd will flash back to the current software version on your car.

ME:
Thank you but just to confirm completely.
So if bmw flashes a new stock software version and then I flash with MHD and then flash back to stock. The stock version I will now have is the new software that bmw just installed?

MHD response:
in most cases yes, mhd also already updated your rom to the latest so BMW did most likely just some adaptions flashes not a fully new ROM

So who knows what MHD flashes back your actual stock tune that was in your car or if it installs a MHD BMW stock flash?

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2022, 07:55 PM   #3
mym3isslow
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milkbar View Post
Hi all,

Currently running Dinan stage 2. I have decided to bite the bullet and switch over to MHD so I can run its stage 2+. This will be my first time using MHD so I was wondering how does MHD save the current flash tune. I live in California so I will need to reflash either back to Stock or this current Dinan tune in order to pass smog. Do I need to switch back to stock tune before I flash with MHD or can I just go straight from Dinan to MHD tune?

Thanks.
Any feedback on mhd vs dinan?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2022, 09:24 PM   #4
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

I'm 99% sure MHD will flash a stock map rather than the Dinan again. MHD stage 2+ likely modifies more parameters than the Dinan too, so it may not be a complete override if it didn't.

Dinan tune is tied to VIN and can be reflashed free for life, just need to pay an hour labor at a shop to do it, so not the end of the world if you had to pay $100 every 2 years for a reflash
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 11:56 PM   #5
Milkbar
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mym3isslow View Post
I haven't flashed it yet. Wanted to get a high flow cat in before I flashed MHD so I could go stage 2+. I'll update once I do it.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 11:57 PM   #6
Milkbar
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyzee125 View Post
I'm 99% sure MHD will flash a stock map rather than the Dinan again. MHD stage 2+ likely modifies more parameters than the Dinan too, so it may not be a complete override if it didn't.

Dinan tune is tied to VIN and can be reflashed free for life, just need to pay an hour labor at a shop to do it, so not the end of the world if you had to pay $100 every 2 years for a reflash
Interesting. That I did not know. Thanks!
Appreciate 1
whyzee1251918.00
      09-01-2022, 10:07 PM   #7
Milkbar
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mym3isslow View Post
So I just flashed Stage 2+ and did a couple pulls on my stock DPs. Definitely noticeable difference. It felt more noticeable than going from stock to Dinan Stage 2 across the rev range.
Appreciate 0