home
BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

09-14-2022, 06:43 AM   #1
FastTyger
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i incoming

Ordered: m240i xdrive

I’m creating this tread to track my order process.

2023 Melbourne Red m240i xdrive. Major Options: ZHO, ZPK, ZPP, ZTK, 33B, 5DF, 688, Z22

9/13: added to order bank and have been promised the dealership’s first new allocation
Appreciate 1
KoenG1440.00
      09-14-2022, 06:47 AM   #2
PP3121
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i

Best of luck! Patience is a must.

Will be interesting to see if newer builds progress any faster.
Appreciate 1
      09-14-2022, 07:43 AM   #3
NY BMW Fan
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M240i XDrive coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tygertygertygers View Post
I’m creating this tread to track my order process.

2023 Melbourne Red m240i xdrive. Major Options: ZHO, ZPK, ZPP, ZTK, 33B, 5DF, 688, Z22

9/13: added to order bank and have been promised the dealership’s first new allocation
Welcome and good luck! Just a suggestion: Since you are only in the order bank and do not have a confirmed order, or even an allocation from your dealer, why not try contacting, say, the 15-20 closest dealers in your area -- and I am sure there are quite a few near Chicago -- to see if any have available allocations so that you can actually have your order accepted for production, instead of just waiting for weeks (or months) for your dealer to get an allocation (assuming that you are actually the first in line at your dealership)? As detailed in another thread, I did that in early August and I found a dealer that had a car already in production and not associated with any customer. I was being told by the various dealers either that they had an available allocation but that it would be several months before I would take delivery at best, or that they did not have an allocation and did not know when they would get one, or that there were multiple customers in line before me. As it turns out, assuming there are no last minute problems with my car -- which is on the RCC America and scheduled to arrive in Newark within a few days -- I should be getting my car within 6-7 weeks from signing a purchase order and giving a deposit. I know that I got VERY lucky (and I could not choose exactly the options I wanted because the car was already in production), but you might too!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2022, 08:41 AM   #4
Golddog
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 Alfa Romeo Stelvio

Can you share who you ordered with?
      09-14-2022, 08:51 AM   #5
cainzor
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY BMW Fan View Post
Welcome and good luck! Just a suggestion: Since you are only in the order bank and do not have a confirmed order, or even an allocation from your dealer, why not try contacting, say, the 15-20 closest dealers in your area -- and I am sure there are quite a few near Chicago -- to see if any have available allocations so that you can actually have your order accepted for production, instead of just waiting for weeks (or months) for your dealer to get an allocation (assuming that you are actually the first in line at your dealership)? As detailed in another thread, I did that in early August and I found a dealer that had a car already in production and not associated with any customer. I was being told by the various dealers either that they had an available allocation but that it would be several months before I would take delivery at best, or that they did not have an allocation and did not know when they would get one, or that there were multiple customers in line before me. As it turns out, assuming there are no last minute problems with my car -- which is on the RCC America and scheduled to arrive in Newark within a few days -- I should be getting my car within 6-7 weeks from signing a purchase order and giving a deposit. I know that I got VERY lucky (and I could not choose exactly the options I wanted because the car was already in production), but you might too!
I second this recommendation, I called 4 different BMW dealerships in the DMV area before finding one that had two allocations that weren't claimed. saved me probably 3 to 4 months because my closest dealership had me at number 2 in line and they didnt get their next allocation till july (i ordered in april).
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2022, 11:23 AM   #6
danallxt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240x, 2007 Honda VFR

Quote:
Originally Posted by cainzor View Post
I second this recommendation, I called 4 different BMW dealerships in the DMV area before finding one that had two allocations that weren't claimed. saved me probably 3 to 4 months because my closest dealership had me at number 2 in line and they didnt get their next allocation till july (i ordered in april).
Same here, i would not trust in...."you will be first in line when we get an allocation". Find a dealer with an open allocation. I contacted 5 or 6 till i found one. One dealer "promised" me they could trade a different dealer to get an allocation...the only dealer i found that had a current and anticipated future allocations said no way they would trade em away.
Appreciate 1
jpcoop364.00
      09-14-2022, 01:43 PM   #7
M240SLC
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by danallxt View Post
Same here, i would not trust in...."you will be first in line when we get an allocation". Find a dealer with an open allocation. I contacted 5 or 6 till i found one. One dealer "promised" me they could trade a different dealer to get an allocation...the only dealer i found that had a current and anticipated future allocations said no way they would trade em away.
You got that right. The first dealership I dealt with said I was sliding into a supposed open build slot they had for late August production...only to find out 3-4 weeks later than I was 047 status and 6th in line to get an allocation. I hunted down an open allocation in Cali (I'm in Utah) and ran with it. My break-in period is mostly my drive home from Santa Clara.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2022, 02:15 PM   #8
NY BMW Fan
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M240SLC View Post
You got that right. The first dealership I dealt with said I was sliding into a supposed open build slot they had for late August production...only to find out 3-4 weeks later than I was 047 status and 6th in line to get an allocation. I hunted down an open allocation in Cali (I'm in Utah) and ran with it. My break-in period is mostly my drive home from Santa Clara.
As noted above, I contacted literally 20 dealers, and was lucky enough to find one that somehow had a car already in production that was not spoken for. I live not too far from NYC, so there are many dealers within about an hour's drive from me in New York, New Jersey and Connecticut. (I realize that not everyone lives in such a populated area and has this option.) I used the dealer locator and messaging tools on the BMWUSA website. I was inundated with emails, texts and calls from dealers for several days, but after tolerating and parsing through all of that I found the unicorn.
Appreciate 1
M240SLC392.50
      09-14-2022, 02:39 PM   #9
M240SLC
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
As noted above, I contacted literally 20 dealers, and was lucky enough to find one that somehow had a car already in production that was not spoken for. I live not too far from NYC, so there are many dealers within about an hour's drive from me in New York, New Jersey and Connecticut. (I realize that not everyone lives in such a populated area and has this option.) I used the dealer locator and messaging tools on the BMWUSA website. I was inundated with emails, texts and calls from dealers for several days, but after tolerating and parsing through all of that I found the unicorn.
Just an FYI, "As noted above" on a forum is kinda like "Per my last email" in the corporate world.

All jokes aside, I'm just happy many of us have allocations now.
Appreciate 1
TJZ67201844.50
      09-14-2022, 03:06 PM   #10
NY BMW Fan
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M240SLC View Post
Quote:
Just an FYI, "As noted above" on a forum is kinda like "Per my last email" in the corporate world.

All jokes aside, I'm just happy many of us have allocations now.
Thanks for the FYI. LOL. I have decades of experience in the corporate world, and therefore was just summarizing my point but noting that more detail could be found a few posts above in the thread in case anyone missed the earlier one.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2022, 05:32 PM   #11
FastTyger
Private
Rep

That's good advice. For the person who asked, I went with Elmhurst BMW. Bill Jacobs is a high volume dealer, so I could probably get an allocation from them a bit sooner because they go through so many cars. But, they also had a few people waiting for one already. I did call around. There was an allocation at a dealership in Indiana, but I had one of those weeks at work and couldn't jump on it. They also had a car waiting at port, but it didn't have everything I wanted. Happily, I don't need a car. So, I can wait a while. If things do drag on, I'll be more aggressive and cast a wider net.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2022, 06:22 AM   #12
Jonesymx29
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 BMW M240i xDrive

I've been on the list since April... still 2nd in line, just as I started.

At this point I'd rather not take delivery until spring!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2022, 08:18 AM   #13
Golddog
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 Alfa Romeo Stelvio

Quote:
That's good advice. For the person who asked, I went with Elmhurst BMW. Bill Jacobs is a high volume dealer, so I could probably get an allocation from them a bit sooner because they go through so many cars. But, they also had a few people waiting for one already. I did call around. There was an allocation at a dealership in Indiana, but I had one of those weeks at work and couldn't jump on it. They also had a car waiting at port, but it didn't have everything I wanted. Happily, I don't need a car. So, I can wait a while. If things do drag on, I'll be more aggressive and cast a wider net.
I was dealing with Bill Jacobs just this week. Landed up my local dealer in NW Indiana called me the same day with an available 240. Wonder if I purchased the car waiting at port that you mentioned????
      09-15-2022, 10:39 AM   #14
IndyMike
Captain
Rep
Drives: 11 VO 1 M/22 G42 Thundernight

With all due respect. If you guys in the Chicagoland area aren't dealing with Patrick BMW in Schaumburg you are missing out on a great car buying experience.

I ordered my 22 on 1 May and it was delivered on 4 August.

My car arrived with a major transport delivery issue and they took ownership of the problem and made it right. Even gave me a generous discount for the inconvenience, pain and suffering during the two week process to rectify the matters.

And the two guys I dealt with there are real car enthusiast types. They aren't just in it to make a buck. 'Game' who got me started with my order is a major contributor on the G87 board.

I'm sure the other dealers in that megalopolis are fine if everything goes without a hitch.

But sometimes it's not until things go sideways and the rubber really meets the road, when you find out how they will behave when it affects their bottom line.

Even though it's an 8 hour round-trip, they've definitely earned the first stop for my future BMW purchases.

I hope nobody ever becomes "that guy". But when you do you want to know you'll be taken care of in a fair and appropriate manner.

In my experience at least, Patrick passed that litmus test.

"Before You, Lord, We Bow" - Francis Scott Key
Appreciate 3
Golddog566.50
M240SLC392.50
Game7455.50
      09-15-2022, 09:36 PM   #15
M240SLC
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMike View Post
With all due respect. If you guys in the Chicagoland area aren't dealing with Patrick BMW in Schaumburg you are missing out on a great car buying experience.

I ordered my 22 on 1 May and it was delivered on 4 August.

My car arrived with a major transport delivery issue and they took ownership of the problem and made it right. Even gave me a generous discount for the inconvenience, pain and suffering during the two week process to rectify the matters.

And the two guys I dealt with there are real car enthusiast types. They aren't just in it to make a buck. 'Game' who got me started with my order is a major contributor on the G87 board.

I'm sure the other dealers in that megalopolis are fine if everything goes without a hitch.

But sometimes it's not until things go sideways and the rubber really meets the road, when you find out how they will behave when it affects their bottom line.

Even though it's an 8 hour round-trip, they've definitely earned the first stop for my future BMW purchases.

I hope nobody ever becomes "that guy". But when you do you want to know you'll be taken care of in a fair and appropriate manner.

In my experience at least, Patrick passed that litmus test.
I personally know Hanley Dawson IV (President of the Patrick Group). I used to work at the golf club he was/is a member at, and we always used to talk cars. For being a higher up, he's just as passionate about cars as some of the sales and technician folks. I think this is one of the reasons they take care of people the way they do.
Appreciate 3
IndyMike419.50
SN1P3211.50
Game7455.50
      09-17-2022, 05:01 AM   #16
Hap
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 240i

Garage List
2018 M240i  [0.00]
Its a mystery

Trying not to be negative...but my experience is. You can be first on allocation list...but the dealer doesn't get an allocation after 4 months !
of waiting on top of the list. Finally, my dealer said they had to work their butt off to get an allocation with horse trading other dealers.. Without their efforts I would be waiting even longer.
Crazy car buying world
Hap
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2022, 11:11 AM   #17
FastTyger
Private
Rep

It could be a long wait. So, maybe I won’t need to get those winter wheels and tires right away.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2022, 06:47 AM   #18
Jonesymx29
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 BMW M240i xDrive

Quote:
It could be a long wait. So, maybe I won’t need to get those winter wheels and tires right away.
This is what I'm telling myself so that I don't go crazy this fall
Appreciate 1
      09-30-2022, 08:43 AM   #19
FastTyger
Private
Rep

09/30

I just got an allocation!
Appreciate 6
PP3121363.50
M240SLC392.50
Coconut773.50
Hap152.50
      10-11-2022, 05:53 PM   #20
FastTyger
Private
Rep

10/11. I have a week 48 build date, so 11/20. For now.
Appreciate 3
dj931.50
Coconut773.50
eddj466.00
      10-12-2022, 08:57 AM   #21
Crazy One
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G42

Quote:
10/11. I have a week 48 build date, so 11/20. For now.
It is very strange that they are giving these dates as they don't commit to them.
When I got my allocation in July, the information was the same - build date week 48.
It is on the boat now, with status 165.
So the dates might just be random.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2022, 05:38 PM   #22
FastTyger
Private
Rep

10/31. I have a vin
Appreciate 2
Hapbob231.50