E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Angel eye/light options if I open up the headlights? 2011 E90 335 xDrive...

11-18-2022, 08:15 AM   #1
Shyatic
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7, 2011 BMW 335xd

Angel eye/light options if I open up the headlights? 2011 E90 335 xDrive...

Hi all,

As I was planning to add a new eyelid into the headlight and spray them matte black inside, I don't mind opening up the headlights I have to upgrade the angel eyes I have.

I currently have the Xenon lights with fogs on my car, and the Xenons seem a bit dim compared to the LED lights in my other car (no surprise, I guess?), but if that's a super pricey/difficult upgrade I'll leave that alone.

For the angel eyes, if I can upgrade the shape/look of them in the E90, would love to know where I'd get those parts, and any videos to upgrade them.

As for the corner lights, or fogs -- are they simple bulb swaps? I want to make sure I don't throw codes on the car, but if I can get LED swaps for them it would be super.

Appreciate any help!
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2022, 01:28 AM   #2
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Not sure what brand angel eyes to get.
I’ve looked but there’s a lot of options.
The lci xenons are pretty bright.
I think to make them even brighter, you’d need new projectors.

Corner lights as cornering lights in the headlights?
Depending on what LEDs you get for those and the fog lights, it might throw an error. You can code out the errors easily.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2022, 01:33 AM   #3
nthnthnthnth
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyatic View Post
Hi all,

As I was planning to add a new eyelid into the headlight and spray them matte black inside, I don't mind opening up the headlights I have to upgrade the angel eyes I have.

I currently have the Xenon lights with fogs on my car, and the Xenons seem a bit dim compared to the LED lights in my other car (no surprise, I guess?), but if that's a super pricey/difficult upgrade I'll leave that alone.

For the angel eyes, if I can upgrade the shape/look of them in the E90, would love to know where I'd get those parts, and any videos to upgrade them.

As for the corner lights, or fogs -- are they simple bulb swaps? I want to make sure I don't throw codes on the car, but if I can get LED swaps for them it would be super.

Appreciate any help!
https://www.bavgruppedesign.com has a good selection of angel eyes.

If the Xenon bulbs are very old, putting in new bulbs is a straightforward way to get brighter output. New projectors are a lot more work, but if you’re taking apart the headlight for the angel eyes already it’s something to consider.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2022, 01:12 PM   #4
Shyatic
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X7, 2011 BMW 335xd

Quote:
Originally Posted by nthnthnthnth View Post
https://www.bavgruppedesign.com has a good selection of angel eyes.

If the Xenon bulbs are very old, putting in new bulbs is a straightforward way to get brighter output. New projectors are a lot more work, but if you’re taking apart the headlight for the angel eyes already it’s something to consider.
For the Xenon bulbs, can I just go online and buy a direct replacement (Amazon or something?)? I did take a peek and there are LED bulbs that seem to fit also -- any issue with using those?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2022, 03:33 PM   #5
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i

I bought Amazon xenons for my e90. They’ve been fine for a year.
I also bought the led ones but haven’t installed them yet.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2022, 03:49 PM   #6
nthnthnthnth
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyatic View Post
For the Xenon bulbs, can I just go online and buy a direct replacement (Amazon or something?)? I did take a peek and there are LED bulbs that seem to fit also -- any issue with using those?

Thanks!
Yes. Amazon is good. I’d suggest getting an Osram Nightbreaker or Cool Blue bulb. Just make sure it’s a D1S bulb and the seller is actually Osram. You can put one in and see if you see a difference (you should if the existing bulbs are very old). If not just return it.

I wouldn’t recommend the LED bulbs. They will probably be brighter than an old Xenon bulb but not as bright (and less reliable) than a new Xenon. Here’s a comparison of a new Osram Cool Blue bulb (left) and a new “50,000 lux” LED bulb (right) from an older post of mine:
Appreciate 0