E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA > E90 Halogen upgrade suggestions??

07-11-2008, 08:51 AM   #1
Craig@SupremePower
G.O.A.T.!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 GMC Yukon XL

E90 Halogen upgrade suggestions??

Need heads and fogs to match in a hyper white, but also want it to throw a nice light...opinions?? TIA
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2008, 09:47 AM   #2
fizzle
is it the 5oclock free crack giveaway?
United_States
Rep
Drives: a motorized vee-hickle

first get LUX 5.0, then to be honest i would just get the Euro HIDs from eBay

not really too familiar with halogen bulbs but i used Sylvania Silverstars and they worked pretty well and gave a nice white HID look
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2008, 09:53 AM   #3
Craig@SupremePower
G.O.A.T.!
United_States
Rep

Thanx J, it's actually for Kristels car she mentioned it to me last night and the meet and I was just curious on suggestions. I think she wants more light and likes the coloring of a HID's but was trying to figure out something nice thats not gonna break the bank for her!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzle View Post
first get LUX 5.0, then to be honest i would just get the Euro HIDs from eBay

not really too familiar with halogen bulbs but i used Sylvania Silverstars and they worked pretty well and gave a nice white HID look
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2008, 10:09 AM   #4
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 F97 X3M Comp LCI

Garage List
I remember she was mentioning this during dinner, but we haven't had a chance to fully discuss the issue so i'll provide my input.

If she really wants to have the blue-ish color with high output, HID is the way to go. There are really no halogens that can provide high output with a high temperature color. Silverstars will provide a slightly whiter color, but those are only rated at 4000K at most. i used to have them in my old E46; they were better than stock halogens, but the difference wasn't great. OEM xenons are rated at 4300K I believe.

I assume she wants 6000K or 8000K (she hinted she wanted bright white lights with a slight blue-ish hue). In order to get those colors, she HAS to go with HIDs. The problem with that is the fact that she does not have any projectors. Installation and getting them to work shouldn't be hard at all. There are many kits in the market that go for $200 like you mentioned. However, the halogen housing wasn't designed to distribute light from xenons. If she does install HIDs, the light will disperse in all directions, being a hazard on the road to oncoming traffic. In fact, the police MAY give tickets for those. The PROPER way to install HIDs is to first buy projectors (costly) and then installing HIDs. The car might or might not throw a code. In the E46, you were able to get the dealer to flash the car so it can accept HIDs, so it may be possible to do that in the 328 as well.

It ultimately comes down to what kristel wants. If she doesn't want to spend BIG bucks, she can throw down a few for an HID kit and get the light she wants. My suggestion? If she can, but some projectors as well. It'll be worth it at the end and the light will distribute for a cleaner look. If she doesn't want OEM projectors, than she can get E90 aftermarkets from Jlevi. I dont know how reliable they are, but I do remember they had the E46 projectors and they seemed to look reliable with near OEM quality and looks.

Hope that helps
BMW MY06 E46 325XI - GONE
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2008, 10:13 AM   #5
Craig@SupremePower
G.O.A.T.!
United_States
Rep

Thanx for the input bro.... any more problems with limp's last night??
Quote:
Originally Posted by danniexi View Post
I remember she was mentioning this during dinner, but we haven't had a chance to fully discuss the issue so i'll provide my input.

If she really wants to have the blue-ish color with high output, HID is the way to go. There are really no halogens that can provide high output with a high temperature color. Silverstars will provide a slightly whiter color, but those are only rated at 4000K at most. i used to have them in my old E46; they were better than stock halogens, but the difference wasn't great. OEM xenons are rated at 4300K I believe.

I assume she wants 6000K or 8000K (she hinted she wanted bright white lights with a slight blue-ish hue). In order to get those colors, she HAS to go with HIDs. The problem with that is the fact that she does not have any projectors. Installation and getting them to work shouldn't be hard at all. There are many kits in the market that go for $200 like you mentioned. However, the halogen housing wasn't designed to distribute light from xenons. If she does install HIDs, the light will disperse in all directions, being a hazard on the road to oncoming traffic. In fact, the police MAY give tickets for those. The PROPER way to install HIDs is to first buy projectors (costly) and then installing HIDs. The car might or might not throw a code. In the E46, you were able to get the dealer to flash the car so it can accept HIDs, so it may be possible to do that in the 328 as well.

It ultimately comes down to what kristel wants. If she doesn't want to spend BIG bucks, she can throw down a few for an HID kit and get the light she wants. My suggestion? If she can, but some projectors as well. It'll be worth it at the end and the light will distribute for a cleaner look. If she doesn't want OEM projectors, than she can get E90 aftermarkets from Jlevi. I dont know how reliable they are, but I do remember they had the E46 projectors and they seemed to look reliable with near OEM quality and looks.

Hope that helps
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2008, 10:15 AM   #6
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 F97 X3M Comp LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig@SupremePower View Post
Thanx for the input bro.... any more problems with limp's last night??
none this morning. power deliver has gotten better according to butt dyno, all though it could all be in my head. hopefully i won't have any issues anymore
BMW MY06 E46 325XI - GONE
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2008, 10:18 AM   #7
Craig@SupremePower
G.O.A.T.!
United_States
Rep

Yeah lets cross our fingers...i'm sure you bought a SSTT because you read how safe and reliable it was?? Call Eurobahn and ask them for some peace of mind.... (866) 387-6769

Quote:
Originally Posted by danniexi View Post
none this morning. power deliver has gotten better according to butt dyno, all though it could all be in my head. hopefully i won't have any issues anymore
Appreciate 0