E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA > NJ Speeding Ticket Question..

07-07-2008, 03:11 PM   #23
rooster3.0
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

To re-affirm what you already know, just pay the fine, and you'll get no points if you have a NYS licence. The only places you can get points are NY state and Canada(i think).
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 03:13 PM   #24
BMW!
Captain
Rep
Drives: e92

Thanks all for the great help!
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 10:16 PM   #25
mpimping
Banned
South Korea
Rep
Drives: gti

you'll have points on your nj license. even if you have an ny license, you have an nj number I think .your insurance shouldn't go up and u won't get points on your ny license. the worst that can happen is u cant drive in NJ for a while. if you go to court and try to make a deal you may save money and maybe points on your nj record but you might miss a days work...
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 11:19 PM   #26
Orient330iNYC
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpimping View Post
you'll have points on your nj license. even if you have an ny license, you have an nj number I think .your insurance shouldn't go up and u won't get points on your ny license. the worst that can happen is u cant drive in NJ for a while. if you go to court and try to make a deal you may save money and maybe points on your nj record but you might miss a days work...
what?

the only time i've heard of NJ issuing a NJ license to a NY resident is when there were repeated violations and citations not paid. they issue a NJ license tagged to your NY license so they can suspend it.

non NJ residents do NOT have a nj license or number of any kind. they would have to issue a license/number to everyone in the country that is capable of driving in NJ. that would be a logistical nightmare.
Past: 2019 G01 M40i ZDA/2VF/ZPP/ZPX/688/3AC
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 11:22 PM   #27
Orient330iNYC
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster3.0 View Post
To re-affirm what you already know, just pay the fine, and you'll get no points if you have a NYS licence. The only places you can get points are NY state and Canada(i think).
yes, only in Ontario and Quebec.

you're fine in British Columbia, Manitoba,Saskatchewan , and Alberta.
Past: 2019 G01 M40i ZDA/2VF/ZPP/ZPX/688/3AC
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2008, 07:09 AM   #28
Taittinger
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue E92

Garage List
2007 335i Cpe  [0.00]
Damn NY drivers. Bad enough we get their trash. They can also use our turnpike as their personal autobahn with impunity? We should get some bounty hunters and drag him back to Jersey for trial.

'07 Monaco Blue 335i ordered 9/4 built 9/21 shipped 9/28 arrived 10/12 at dealership 10/18 vroom 10/19 christened 11/3...
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2008, 07:17 AM   #29
Kodak
The Law
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 325xi, 4dr, Alpine

Below is some info directly from the online NYS DMV site, hopefully this can assist.
http://www.nysdmv.com/dmanual/chapte...al.htm#out-sta

IF YOU RECEIVE A TICKET

If you receive a traffic ticket, do not delay - follow the instructions on the ticket for the pleas you wish to make. Your driver license will be suspended indefinitely if you do not answer the ticket in the time allowed, or pay a fine (other than parking tickets and fines), surcharge, crime victim assistance fee, or suspension-termination fee. If you do not respond to receiving the ticket, you could be found guilty by default conviction. If you are convicted by default, your license will then be suspended for not paying the fine and a judgment will be entered against you.

The New York State Department of Motor Vehicle Traffic Violations Bureau (TVB) processes the tickets for non-criminal moving traffic violations issued in the five boroughs of New York City, Buffalo, Rochester, and the Suffolk County towns of Babylon, Brookhaven, Huntington, Islip and Smithtown. By processing these traffic tickets, the TVB system allows the other courts in these areas to concentrate on criminal cases, including driving offenses such as Driving While Intoxicated (DWI) and driving while suspended or revoked. Elsewhere in New York State, traffic violations are processed in the criminal and traffic court of the city, county, town or village where the alleged offense took place. Whichever court system is involved, every motorist who receives a traffic ticket may present a defense and be represented by an attorney.

TRAFFIC TICKETS RECEIVED OUT OF STATE

The New York State Department of Motor Vehicles does not record convictions of moving traffic violations by NYS non-commercial licensed drivers in other jurisdictions, except traffic offenses committed in the provinces of Ontario and Quebec, in Canada. Therefore, except for traffic convictions in Ontario and Quebec, out-of-state traffic convictions are not added to your New York State "violation point" driving record.

However, your New York State license will be suspended if you fail to answer a ticket for a moving violation in any state except Alaska, California, Michigan, Montana, Oregon or Wisconsin. Your license will remain suspended until you answer the ticket. Likewise, drivers from any state, except those from the six states listed above, will have their driver licenses suspended in their own state for failure to answer a moving violation summons in New York State.

If you are over 21 years old, and are convicted of an alcohol-related driving violation (e.g., DUI) in any other state or the provinces of Ontario and Quebec, in Canada, your New York State driver license will be revoked for at least 90 days. If you are convicted of a drug-related driving violation in any of these jurisdictions, your New York State license will be revoked for at least six months. Out-of-state drivers ticketed in New York State should contact the motor vehicle department of their own state or province about the effect of a conviction.

If you are under 21 years old and convicted of any alcohol or drug-related violation that occurred out of state on or after November 1, 2000, your New York State driver license will be revoked for at least one year. If you have any prior alcohol conviction, even if the violation occurred before November 1, 2000, your license will be revoked for at least one year or until the age of 21, whichever is longer.

The New York State Department of Motor Vehicles records the conviction of any New York driver for criminal negligence, homicide, or assault that arises out of the operation of a motor vehicle and which results in death. In addition, the driver's license or privilege to drive and all vehicle registrations will be revoked, whether the conviction occurred in this state or elsewhere.
      07-13-2008, 02:16 AM   #30
AllydNYC
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 91' E30 318is

Garage List
1991 BMW 318is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orient330iNYC View Post
Do you have a NY license?
NYS doesnt take points from jersey.... in fact they dont take points from any other state in the US. the violation never shows up on your NYS record.

The NYSDMV does not record out-of-state violations committed by NYS drivers in other jurisdictions. The exceptions are alcohol-related violations, drug-related violations, and moving violations committed in Quebec or Ontario. Under special agreements, traffic convictions in Quebec or Ontario are recorded on NYS driver license records and carry points. Except for violations in Ontario and Quebec, points are not added to your NYS record for out-of-state violations.

i got tagged for 85 in a 65 on the mass pike a few years ago, i paid the fine and went on with my life. never showed up on my nys record or to insurance
That's actually very good to know, now just need to know how much the fines are ahead of time lol...
Appreciate 0