home
BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) iDrive, Nav, Stereo, Bluetooth, Electronics

04-27-2023, 07:15 PM   #1
spitpilot
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 230iX, 2017 X1 M sp X

Exclamation I Drive 8 Giant Screen Temperature

Just picked up my new 230ix and drove it up the middle of CA...outside temps were warm but not summer HOT. Happened to touch the far left side of the display and it felt very HOT...too hot to keep a hold on it!
Is this normal or is it a "recall waiting to happen?? Electronics aren't supposed to generate this level of temp rise in my experience. My big screen displays get warm by not roasting...and I know enough about materials to know that plastics age 2X as fast or every 10 degree C rise in temp...so worried about lifetime of display guts as well as case! Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2023, 01:42 PM   #2
DomMuc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

it´s normal .. it is a tempered glass screen.. if the sunlight hits on it, it gets very hot ( same with seats and Steering wheel) ...

you´ll need to send an recall request to someone who is in charge of the weather :-)
Appreciate 1
zero213266.50
      04-28-2023, 03:45 PM   #3
spitpilot
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 230iX, 2017 X1 M sp X

We were driving in a direction where the sun was pretty evenly shining on the entire width of the windshield...so solar heating should have been about the same across the back of the screen unit...When I touched the left side and found it hot enough to want to pull your hand away...I touched the far right side as well and it was just warm and comfortable to touch. Didn't have a thermometer with me, so I don't know precise temp variation end to end ,but it was significant. Just concerned about cooking the "innards" of the I drive screen prematurely! I know for sure that piece wouldn't be cheap to replace! Probably have to tear half the dash apart to do the job!
Appreciate 0