E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > E90 335i x-drive LS swap

07-18-2023, 10:05 AM   #1
jackalz9
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i xdrive

E90 335i x-drive LS swap

Hey all! So I have a 2011 335i x-drive with the 6 speed manual. The motor is pretty much gone and I was considering an ls swap. The question is, can I delete the transfer case and put a rwd driveshaft to use my original trans with an adapter plate? If it’s not just unbolt the transfer case and bolt driveshaft, what other parts in between would I need? And would I also need the x-delete for the computer? Thanks in advanced!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2023, 10:45 AM   #2
Brian86
Captain
Rep
Drives: e36 M3, e91 325xi, N50 Xterra

I do not think the transmission on 4wd cars can be mated directly to a drive shaft. The output shaft is a very fine spline with no retaining mechanisms. It would be necessary to machine or fabricate a very precise adapter to incorporate a traditional BMW driveshaft flange. The output shaft is not suitable to operate as a yoke.

This is almost certainly going to be a custom driveshaft job. Perhaps something could be fabricated, but it's likely that a 2wd gearbox would be more practical. You can probably get a 2wd box considerably cheaper than the work to use the 4wd output shaft.

I'm not sure Xdelete would be appropriate. With a non-BMW engine, all you need from the BMW systems is ABS. There are likely easier ways to block all the 4wd and traction and stability while still retaining basic ABS.... But I'm not the person to ask. Others will chime in.
      07-18-2023, 02:25 PM   #3
jackalz9
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian86 View Post
I do not think the transmission on 4wd cars can be mated directly to a drive shaft. The output shaft is a very fine spline with no retaining mechanisms. It would be necessary to machine or fabricate a very precise adapter to incorporate a traditional BMW driveshaft flange. The output shaft is not suitable to operate as a yoke.

This is almost certainly going to be a custom driveshaft job. Perhaps something could be fabricated, but it's likely that a 2wd gearbox would be more practical. You can probably get a 2wd box considerably cheaper than the work to use the 4wd output shaft.

I'm not sure Xdelete would be appropriate. With a non-BMW engine, all you need from the BMW systems is ABS. There are likely easier ways to block all the 4wd and traction and stability while still retaining basic ABS.... But I'm not the person to ask. Others will chime in.
Okie thanks! At that point I’d probably go with a t56 and a custom drive shaft and just sell my old trans (sucks cuz I put it in a year ago)
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2023, 07:36 PM   #4
EfiniMotorsport
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335xi, Yukon Denali, 16 CRZ

You'll also need to swap to a RWD front subframe, steering, suspension, etc. Not having the from half shaft in the hubs could cause problems. The chepest way would just be to buy the whole assembly from a RWD 335. A 328 front assembly may work but I'm not sure the differences between them and the 335
Appreciate 1
      08-19-2023, 02:17 PM   #5
jackalz9
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EfiniMotorsport View Post
You'll also need to swap to a RWD front subframe, steering, suspension, etc. Not having the from half shaft in the hubs could cause problems. The chepest way would just be to buy the whole assembly from a RWD 335. A 328 front assembly may work but I'm not sure the differences between them and the 335
Just wondering, what would make me need to swap the subframe? There is a kit made specifically for x-drive cars to mount the ls in the stock subframe. But at the same time, the quicker rwd and m3 steering racks don’t bolt into the awd subframe and that would be a nice upgrade to have.
Appreciate 0