clydefrog
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Subaru BRZ, G87 M2

Garage List
2024 BMW G87 M2  [0.00]
2013 Subaru BRZ  [0.00]
Can you push start modern manual BMWs?

Not that I'm intending to do it, but I've always thought it was a handy little quirk / feature of manual cars that you can push start them if the battery or starter dies.

Can you do that with modern manual cars with push button starts and all these electronics? I assume you'd need at least some charge to run all the electronics but maybe if the starter dies or something?

Does it make a different to a turbo car vs a NA car?
Appreciate 1
Hankdoll135.50
      09-24-2023, 11:58 AM   #2
Workodactyl
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

I can’t speak for BMW, but I was able to do this with my mk7.5 Golf R with a push button start. I did it by accident actually and it surprised the hell out of me. I think the car has to be on, but I rolled forward and let out the clutch in gear and the car popped on. It was pretty cool. Never did it again lol.
Appreciate 1
clydefrog291.50
      09-25-2023, 01:19 AM   #3
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

The big issue is not having power to disengage the parking brake. With a manual transmission car it will need enough power to do the triple start button push to enter diagnostics mode and release the parking brake, otherwise the car won’t roll.
Appreciate 2
      09-25-2023, 08:13 AM   #4
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydefrog View Post
Not that I'm intending to do it, but I've always thought it was a handy little quirk / feature of manual cars that you can push start them if the battery or starter dies.

Can you do that with modern manual cars with push button starts and all these electronics? I assume you'd need at least some charge to run all the electronics but maybe if the starter dies or something?

Does it make a different to a turbo car vs a NA car?
The owners manual says to not tow start the vehicle.

Page 308:
Tow-starting
Do not tow-start the vehicle.
Start the engine by jump-starting, if possible.
Have the cause of starting issues corrected by an authorized service center or another qualified service center or repair shop.

I note jump starting is mentioned but not push starting.

I'd not attempt push starting. The turbos are not a factor. My biggest concern would be damaging the rear of the car, the bumper cover, possibly the proximity sensors. Have seen enough YouTube videos of people using a vehicle to push (or tow) another vehicle and it never ends well...
Appreciate 1
clydefrog291.50
      09-25-2023, 09:17 AM   #5
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockCrusher View Post
I'd not attempt push starting. The turbos are not a factor. My biggest concern would be damaging the rear of the car, the bumper cover, possibly the proximity sensors. Have seen enough YouTube videos of people using a vehicle to push (or tow) another vehicle and it never ends well...
In the UK and Europe “push starting” a car is usually the enlistment of 3 or 4 people who happen to be passing by to physically push the car, as opposed to using a vehicle to do it.

I’ve done it once in the past 10 years, but push button start, energizing the ECU and clutch interlocks can complicate the procedure, as opposed to just leaving a key in the “run” position.
Appreciate 1
clydefrog291.50
      09-25-2023, 09:34 AM   #6
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
In the UK and Europe “push starting” a car is usually the enlistment of 3 or 4 people who happen to be passing by to physically push the car, as opposed to using a vehicle to do it.

I’ve done it once in the past 10 years, but push button start, energizing the ECU and clutch interlocks can complicate the procedure, as opposed to just leaving a key in the “run” position.
Having people willing to push the car probably eliminates the risk of damage to the car. Probably.

Best though is to not have to push start a car by any means. Better to keep the car/vehicle in good condition and if the worst happens to rely upon road side assistance if the car is new enough and to have premium auto club membership to use in lieu of road side assistance.
Appreciate 1
clydefrog291.50
      09-25-2023, 09:52 AM   #7
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep

Quote:
Having people willing to push the car probably eliminates the risk of damage to the car. Probably.

Best though is to not have to push start a car by any means. Better to keep the car/vehicle in good condition and if the worst happens to rely upon road side assistance if the car is new enough and to have premium auto club membership to use in lieu of road side assistance.
Last car I push started was my Caterham, 30Ah battery couldn't start the 2.0 high compression engine when below freezing. Only needed one person to help to get it up to speed, but I wouldn't let road side assistance or a tow truck anywhere near it (other than with a proper booster pack), they wouldn't be able to cope with it's boutique electronics or minimal ground clearance.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2023, 07:50 AM   #8
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
Last car I push started was my Caterham, 30Ah battery couldn't start the 2.0 high compression engine when below freezing. Only needed one person to help to get it up to speed, but I wouldn't let road side assistance or a tow truck anywhere near it (other than with a proper booster pack), they wouldn't be able to cope with it's boutique electronics or minimal ground clearance.

That under spec'd battery is an outlier for sure. I would have looked into fitting a higher capacity battery or possibly carrying a battery booster. Or just not driving the car in that cold of weather.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2023, 09:25 AM   #9
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep

Quote:
That under spec'd battery is an outlier for sure. I would have looked into fitting a higher capacity battery or possibly carrying a battery booster. Or just not driving the car in that cold of weather.
There isn’t any space for anything larger than a motorcycle or ATV battery in that car, I’ve just avoided driving it in sub-zero temperatures since then, especially as I run it without windshield or roof most of the time now.
Appreciate 0