home
BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

10-04-2023, 06:11 PM   #1
J-RO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

Drive Recorder Question

I have the drive recorder option. I was watching a video on how to set it up and I noticed the settings screen had options that I do not see on mine. For example I cannot set the duration for more than twenty seconds, before or after. I have no theft setting, no warn before overwriting and no data access via BMW app as seen in this screen shot of the video. Anyone have some insight into this? Thanks.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-05-2023, 04:09 AM   #2
jayritchie
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240

Mine is limited like yours. Being able to access via the BMW app would be great.

I would imagine the theft setting is only relevant if your car is fitted with an alarm? Mine is not.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2023, 08:27 AM   #3
J-RO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayritchie View Post
Mine is limited like yours. Being able to access via the BMW app would be great.

I would imagine the theft setting is only relevant if your car is fitted with an alarm? Mine is not.
I have an alarm.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2023, 11:16 AM   #4
J-RO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

Did you order your vehicle with the drive recorder or add it later through connected drive services?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2023, 01:58 PM   #5
aguycalleddb
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 M240i XDrive

Garage List
I think it depends on the car model the iX seems to get more options than others.

Mine has factory recorder and it’s very limited, same as it was in my ‘19 g20

G42 /// M240i Thundernight
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2023, 03:37 PM   #6
J-RO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aguycalleddb View Post
I think it depends on the car model the iX seems to get more options than others.

Mine has factory recorder and it’s very limited, same as it was in my ‘19 g20
Spoke with BMW Assist. They claim that the features missing from my recorder are only available on electric car models.
Appreciate 2
      10-05-2023, 05:23 PM   #7
J-RO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Took some additional time to look at all the videos carefully. It appears that they were all electric vehicles. In fact, at the end of one of the videos the CA mentions that it is only available on electric models at present.

Last edited by J-RO; 10-05-2023 at 09:26 PM..
Appreciate 1
nype141.00
      10-06-2023, 03:58 PM   #8
jayritchie
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-RO View Post
Did you order your vehicle with the drive recorder or add it later through connected drive services?
I added later.

Have you downloaded a clip to a computer yet? The file format is very annoying.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2023, 05:17 PM   #9
J-RO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I added later.

Have you downloaded a clip to a computer yet? The file format is very annoying.
No. Not yet.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2023, 06:36 AM   #10
pw4
Private
Rep
Drives: G42 230i Msport

My car didn't come with the prerequisite options (that the web site didn't state ) for the inbuilt drive recorder, so I bought the BMW-branded dashcam that links in with the car to a limited extent. Works well for recording drive videos as well as just issues, so it actually suits me better anyway. Video format is simple mp4 - broken up into 1 minute files but they fit together seamlessly so I can work with that.

2021 International BMW Club of the Year

Opinions are personal, not those of the club
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2023, 10:23 AM   #11
EnlightenedOne
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M240i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by pw4 View Post
My car didn't come with the prerequisite options (that the web site didn't state ) for the inbuilt drive recorder, so I bought the BMW-branded dashcam that links in with the car to a limited extent. Works well for recording drive videos as well as just issues, so it actually suits me better anyway. Video format is simple mp4 - broken up into 1 minute files but they fit together seamlessly so I can work with that.
Are you talking about the “CarEye 3.0”? How does it link to the car? I figured it was just a regular rebranded dashcam and was going to buy one from another brand like I usually do. Is there really anything special about the BMW branded one that makes it a better choice?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2023, 02:13 PM   #12
Pentland
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i (G42)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnlightenedOne View Post
Are you talking about the “CarEye 3.0”? How does it link to the car? I figured it was just a regular rebranded dashcam and was going to buy one from another brand like I usually do. Is there really anything special about the BMW branded one that makes it a better choice?
It’s not a better choice than an aftermarket dashcam.

I can recommend BlackVue cameras.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2023, 12:43 AM   #13
pw4
Private
Rep

Quote:
CarEye 3.0, correct. It is rebranded from something (I forget what). It links in enough to know when the engine is started or stopped, but doesn't integrate more than that, as far as I can tell. Phone connection requires disconnecting the phone from the car's Bluetooth, for example. It has nice BMW logos on it :-) . It has front and rear cameras, all cabled into the car neatly; I presume there's a power connection BMW builds in for it. Being an official BMW part, it comes with a 2 year warranty in Australia.

And I'm confident BMW has tested it enough to make sure it doesn't disrupt anything else in the car, eg with its power feed. Personally, I'd rather have the dealer fit stuff that needs things like roof liner pulled apart, so it's clear who has to fix it if it's not done well. The cost of the unit and installation is fine (if you negotiate a really nice discount!!).

I know there are other good dashcams out there too. I'm just saying what this one does.

Particularly, I want to record drives, not just incidents, and it does a good job of that. My only wish is that it offered a choice of wide or narrower view like GoPro does. Video quality is pretty good, still photography is usable but pretty ordinary; both are less good facing into the sun.

Appreciate 0
      10-24-2023, 02:51 PM   #14
EnlightenedOne
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M240i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by pw4 View Post
CarEye 3.0, correct. It is rebranded from something (I forget what). It links in enough to know when the engine is started or stopped, but doesn't integrate more than that, as far as I can tell. Phone connection requires disconnecting the phone from the car's Bluetooth, for example. It has nice BMW logos on it :-) . It has front and rear cameras, all cabled into the car neatly; I presume there's a power connection BMW builds in for it. Being an official BMW part, it comes with a 2 year warranty in Australia.

And I'm confident BMW has tested it enough to make sure it doesn't disrupt anything else in the car, eg with its power feed. Personally, I'd rather have the dealer fit stuff that needs things like roof liner pulled apart, so it's clear who has to fix it if it's not done well. The cost of the unit and installation is fine (if you negotiate a really nice discount!!).

I know there are other good dashcams out there too. I'm just saying what this one does.

Particularly, I want to record drives, not just incidents, and it does a good job of that. My only wish is that it offered a choice of wide or narrower view like GoPro does. Video quality is pretty good, still photography is usable but pretty ordinary; both are less good facing into the sun.
Does it have "parking mode" of any kind where it will record when it detects motion while the car is parked? That's the main feature I'm wanting.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2023, 01:59 AM   #15
pw4
Private
Rep

Quote:
Does it have "parking mode" of any kind where it will record when it detects motion while the car is parked? That's the main feature I'm wanting.
Yes it does - both radar and shock triggered, each with a sensitivity scale you can select. It automatically switches into parking mode a few minutes (adjustable) after stopping.

Appreciate 0