BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

11-07-2023, 03:49 AM   #23
Wasp_Factory
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i xDrive

Unfortunately, the recent experience for JoeyJoeJo, ninja_geezer, myself and 4 or 5 others on BabyBMW forum is that the dealers are largely in the dark and 'Genius' is an oxymoron. They really don't know what boat the car will be assigned to and there seems to be an enormous backlog. My car was built in early May and didn't make it to the dealer until mid October. The expected delivery date was regularly passed and then updated 2 weeks after they said it would be delivered.

There are typically 3 K Line ships making the North Atlantic run and they are dropping cars in the US, Barcelona, Belgium and Germany as well as UK. There are threads on here and BabyBMW that show you how you can track the ships.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2023, 03:51 AM   #24
Evilmoretea
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 2 Series (G42)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasp_Factory View Post
Unfortunately, the recent experience for JoeyJoeJo, ninja_geezer, myself and 4 or 5 others on BabyBMW forum is that the dealers are largely in the dark and 'Genius' is an oxymoron. They really don't know what boat the car will be assigned to and there seems to be an enormous backlog. My car was built in early May and didn't make it to the dealer until mid October. The expected delivery date was regularly passed and then updated 2 weeks after they said it would be delivered.

There are typically 3 K Line ships making the North Atlantic run and they are dropping cars in the US, Barcelona, Belgium and Germany as well as UK. There are threads on here and BabyBMW that show you how you can track the ships.
Yeah I can’t figure out how to track it as genius won’t give me any ship information.

All I can say is my experience has been very positive with 2 cars so far and fingers crossed this one too.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2023, 06:01 AM   #25
Keith_C
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilmoretea View Post
Yeah I can’t figure out how to track it as genius won’t give me any ship information.

All I can say is my experience has been very positive with 2 cars so far and fingers crossed this one too.
When did you receive those 2 cars?

The problem is a current problem recognised by BMW, Genius and dealers. I, with the others mentioned, had dates put back and back and finally pick mine up on Sunday, 5 months after it was built.

I really hope you don't have to wait as long as we did, it's a very frustrating process knowing your car is sat there already built yet you can't have it. IF and I hope it's not the case, you do have problems, get onto BMW Customer Services, I'm set to receive £200 from the dealer and £300 from BMW towards services and accessories because of the delay which will go towards the service pack.
M240i - Thundernight Metallic - Cognac Interior - M Technology Pack - Technology Plus Pack - Comfort Pack - HK - Driving Assistant - M Adaptive Suspension - 19" 893 M Double-spoke Bicolour Alloy Wheels - Aluminium Rhombicle Interior Trim
Appreciate 1
Deyson4.50
      11-07-2023, 06:07 AM   #26
Evilmoretea
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith_C View Post
When did you receive those 2 cars?

The problem is a current problem recognised by BMW, Genius and dealers. I, with the others mentioned, had dates put back and back and finally pick mine up on Sunday, 5 months after it was built.

I really hope you don't have to wait as long as we did, it's a very frustrating process knowing your car is sat there already built yet you can't have it. IF and I hope it's not the case, you do have problems, get onto BMW Customer Services, I'm set to receive £200 from the dealer and £300 from BMW towards services and accessories because of the delay which will go towards the service pack.
Previous 2 cars were g42 230i both in 2022
Long story on why I had 2!
Absolutely, if the delays that bad I will make sure I get some free m performance stuff. My dealer is pretty good with me. To be honest there is an alternate car arriving in the country around the same time.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2023, 07:59 AM   #27
Evilmoretea
Lieutenant
Rep

Sounds like there is actually some kind of shipping back log problem ongoing at the moment then. Will update when the car is here, or if the expected delivery date is missed…
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2023, 08:25 AM   #28
Evilmoretea
Lieutenant
Rep

Ok funny update for you

Asked BMW genius today and wow wow wow…

Initially told me it was status 165 at the factory… in china. Which obviously is incorrect

Then when I explained the car is made in Mexico she promptly corrected herself and told me actually the car is sat at the dealership awaiting PDI. Which left me flabbergasted.

It’s not, it’s definitely not.

Anyway it’s not all doom and gloom (yet)

It would appear the next boat leaving
Mexico is departing 19th November and arriving in Southampton 8 December. Give it another few weeks to get to dealer and PDI and this fits the expectations set.

So I may have been confused about status 165, thanks for clearing that up

But assuming it makes it onto that boat. Sounds like it’s a Christmas delivery!

What a miracle (hopefully)
Appreciate 1
netgear15.00
      11-07-2023, 08:32 AM   #29
Andyw27
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Quote:
Ok funny update for you

Initially told me it was status 165 at the factory… in china. Which obviously is incorrect

Then when I explained the car is made in Mexico she promptly corrected herself and told me actually the car is sat at the dealership awaiting PDI. Which left me flabbergasted.

Mexico is departing 19th November and arriving in Southampton 8 December. Give it another few weeks to get to dealer and PDI and this fits the expectations set.

That boat is the niagara highway mate........you can track it on marine traffic but it's running behind and probably won't arrive in southampton until after christmas
Appreciate 1
      11-07-2023, 08:38 AM   #30
Evilmoretea
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyw27 View Post
That boat is the niagara highway mate........you can track it on marine traffic but it's running behind and probably won't arrive in southampton until after christmas
That’s the one, great I will go and religiously track it.
Thanks everyone
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2023, 08:41 AM   #31
netgear
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW G21

Quote:
Ok funny update for you

Great news, I'm happy for you Mine was build week 41 and if it is not on the "drive green highway" ship it will be on the same ship as yours. Based on the timeline it should be in Germany on December 15, so in UK it will be few days before
Appreciate 1
      11-07-2023, 09:00 AM   #32
Wasp_Factory
Private First Class
Rep

If you have a good relationship with your dealer, they will be able to confirm when it is on a ship and what ship it is. It is on the bottom of the second page of their system, known as the consignment code.

Niagara Highway recently left Zeebrugge and is still in UK waters on its way to Galvaston. Due to arrive there on 19th Nov, so currently 3 days late. If you make it onto this ship, there is a good chance you'd have it by Christmas. Depends on the backlog at the port.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2023, 10:32 AM   #33
Aramis1919
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M240i X-Drive

Quote:
I’m status 165, M240i XDrive is built and on the boat to either Germany or the UK from Mexico. Delivery is estimated for 25th December… however if it’s anything like my previous orders might be 2-3 weeks early.

Dealer has got all my OCD requests like don’t wash it and double check the shipping blocks are removed.

Upgraded from a G42 230i and I cannot wait for this B58!
How long have you been waiting since paying your deposit.

My cat took 13 months.

Ordered(£1000 deposit)im May 2022

Car arrived in June 2023.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2023, 10:41 AM   #34
Evilmoretea
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aramis1919 View Post
How long have you been waiting since paying your deposit.

My cat took 13 months.

Ordered(£1000 deposit)im May 2022

Car arrived in June 2023.
Paid my deposit at the end of August or Early September I forget. I got allocated a build slot very early and car is built now already.
Of course when you ordered it was at the height of new car production issues and the launch of the car so I can see why it took so long to receive.

Spoke to my dealer today and as the above commenting mention, there is a shortage of ships to transport the cars. My car is expected to get on the boat on the 19th, there’s a delay of a few days so far. So I really can’t see myself waiting a year for it haha. Even if it misses this boat, the next one is only another 2 weeks after. This fits in line with my dealers experience, saying that when he has had delays, (rarely apparently) it is usually a a delay of 2-3 weeks.

Do you know how much of the time you waited, was waiting for a build slot, vs waiting for delivery after it was built?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2023, 11:03 AM   #35
Aramis1919
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M240i X-Drive

I think that for he first 6 months or so SFA happened. No build slot.
Appreciate 1
      11-07-2023, 01:57 PM   #36
elbort
Rep
Drives: g42 230i

Quote:
Very interesting. What was the expected delivery date your dealer set you?
last week of october told me, ordered in April, Start of Production Wednesday, August 16th 2023

Today I spoke with the dealer and he confirmed that my car is already in Germany waiting to go down to Spain by boat entering through Santander, I hope to have it in my hands the last of November or the first of December
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2023, 02:01 PM   #37
elbort
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by netgear View Post
Looks like not so many ships goes to Barcelona port, as you can see on the link: https://www.klineglobalroro.com/sche...e_schedule.pdf

If you car is not on the ship "horizon highway" then it looks like none of the ships till December won't go to Barcelona.

Edit: Just realized that the "horizon highway" ship was yesterday in Barcelona. So the next possible ship for you is in December.
BMW does not send the cars directly to Spain from Mexico, it sends them to Germany and they distribute them throughout Europe, it stops in the UK first
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2023, 12:05 AM   #38
netgear
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW G21

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbort View Post
BMW does not send the cars directly to Spain from Mexico, it sends them to Germany and they distribute them throughout Europe, it stops in the UK first
I didn't know that. I was sure it goes to Spain. Thanks for explanation
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2023, 03:38 PM   #39
ninja_geezer
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i G42

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbort View Post
My car came on the DRIVE GREEN HIGHWAY it stopped off in spain to drop off cars before coming to southamton.that was september.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2023, 09:21 AM   #40
Wasp_Factory
Private First Class
Rep

K Line generally stop at Barcelona prior to going to Southampton.
Appreciate 1
      11-09-2023, 10:04 AM   #41
elbort
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja_geezer View Post
My car came on the DRIVE GREEN HIGHWAY it stopped off in spain to drop off cars before coming to southamton.that was september.
According to my dealer, my car was unloaded in Germany and is waiting to catch another ship and have it lowered through Santander. I also know the case of my brother-in-law who received his series 4 a year and a half after ordering it and the process was the same, they lowered it. from Germany and he lives in Barcelona, ​​he may stop in Barcelona and then go to the UK, although it seems strange to me that they travel the entire Mediterranean and then go back and go back to the Atlantic where they came from
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2023, 11:09 AM   #42
JoeyJoeJo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G42 M240ix

It may be they are dropping off other brands car and picking up EU built from Spain to go to US/Mexico, there are several manufacturers use the same boats and I'd imagine the operator wants to run full as much as possible.

Given how much is produced in the US/MX, I'm surprised BMW don't process in Barcelona but guess they want all the continental EU traffic through Germany for whatever reason.