home
BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

06-09-2023, 07:47 PM   #1
rons e92
60-130 Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

Can anyone tell me what this clicking sound is?

It started last Friday. It sounds like it's coming from the drivers side rear wheel area.

I thought it was something stuck in the tire initially so last Saturday I went to a tire shop and we inspected the tires in the lift and there was nothing stuck.

I checked for something contacting also and found nothing.

It went from what sounded to one click per revolution to multiple. It has definitely gotten worse.

This Monday I made an appointment with my dealer, but the soonest they could see me is Monday. I'm just curious as to what I'm in for when I get there. Thanks.

https://youtube.com/shorts/C3GNROCDE14?feature=share
Appreciate 2
      06-10-2023, 08:25 AM   #2
LivingInSalt
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M240i

https://g87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2023710
Appreciate 1
rons e921439.50
      11-01-2023, 01:31 PM   #3
nijnella2
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 M240i X-Drive

Did they end up finding out what was going on?
Appreciate 1
rons e921439.50
      11-01-2023, 03:26 PM   #4
rons e92
60-130 Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

Yeah, it was the wheels!

Something with the design of the Apex wheels, they click. I don't know if it's some kind of harmonics issue or something, but they click like crazy.

Apex does not disclose this anywhere on their website and I really feel like they should be honest about it because it's insanely annoying and I was bringing my car all over thinking something was wrong.

I sold the wheels to a friend with a G20 and he has the same issue. He doesn't care about it at all, but I hated it.
Appreciate 1
      11-01-2023, 06:59 PM   #5
BG42
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingInSalt View Post
seemed like the guy who started it found a fix that worked to bad we cant ask him if it ever came back. Would be curious about to pull the trigger on some apex wheels.
Appreciate 1
      11-12-2023, 10:02 AM   #6
nijnella2
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 M240i X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by rons e92 View Post
It started last Friday. It sounds like it's coming from the drivers side rear wheel area.

I thought it was something stuck in the tire initially so last Saturday I went to a tire shop and we inspected the tires in the lift and there was nothing stuck.

I checked for something contacting also and found nothing.

It went from what sounded to one click per revolution to multiple. It has definitely gotten worse.

This Monday I made an appointment with my dealer, but the soonest they could see me is Monday. I'm just curious as to what I'm in for when I get there. Thanks.

https://youtube.com/shorts/C3GNROCDE14?feature=share
[QUOTE=rons e92;30617753]Yeah, it was the wheels!

Something with the design of the Apex wheels, they click. I don't know if it's some kind of harmonics issue or something, but they click like crazy.

Apex does not disclose this anywhere on their website and I really feel like they should be honest about it because it's insanely annoying and I was bringing my car all over thinking something was wrong.

I sold the wheels to a friend with a G20 and he has the same issue. He doesn't care about it at all, but I hated it.

WOW what a bummer! But good thing it wasn’t something serious. Very hard to believe the sound was coming from wheels!
Appreciate 1
rons e921439.50
      11-20-2023, 12:44 AM   #7
pantdino
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW E36 M3, 2024 M240i RWD

I'm not an engineer, but I would be afraid the clicking was the metal structure flexing somehow. Aluminum does not like to be flexed- it work hardens then fractures. Are these wheels approved for street use?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2023, 02:54 AM   #8
Coconut
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i xDrive

Common problem with rotors with aluminum hats made worse by mounting lighter forged wheels. What causes the clicking is the CTE difference between the steel hub and aluminum rotor hat. The different expansion rates of both metals causes small gaps and that leads to the clicking. Steel rotor hats don’t have this issue. BMW has a TSB to fix this issue which involves installation of a very thin shim between the rotor hat and hub. Not sure what material it is but I’d assume copper or nickel. Nothing to be of concern safety wise, it’s must an audible nuisance.

Thick stock cast wheels dampen the noise transmission. Also, retorquing the lugbolts will make the sound go away for a few hundred miles at most, then it’ll come back.
rons e921439.50
      11-25-2023, 10:22 AM   #9
armandnouri
📷 @boost.m240
Rep
Drives: 2022 G42 M240ix

Hey,

I've encountered a peculiar issue with my car recently, which is identical to the clicking sound found in this video. When I engage Sports+ mode on my BMW with stock wheels, I notice a distinct clicking sound that seems to be coming from the undercarriage when the wheels are turning at any speed, while the car is in motion.

Now, the dealership suggested it was "rust-related" and proposed a $1000 lube job. However, I've thoroughly inspected my car, and there's no sign of rust, especially in the area they pinpointed. I'd go as far as to say my car is so clean you could probably eat off the suspension, which would still be considered hygienic. Anyone who knows me is well aware of the particularity of my car and that there can't be any form of rust. This car has never been winter-driven or driven in the rain.

I'm curious if anyone else has experienced a similar phenomenon or has any thoughts on what might be causing this sound. It's identical to this video, but it;s on stock OEM wheels and it's exclusive to Sports+ mode. If the car is on comfort or eco, this clicking sound can't be heard.
Appreciate 0