BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

11-25-2023, 01:56 PM   #67
SDKevin
Cone Killer
Rep
Drives: 2024 M240i, Ducati 1299S

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-RO View Post
I realize I am an analog man in a digital world. My first problem might actually be getting started. It does not seem to be pairing to my Iphone or Ipad.The tiny manual you mentioned is what is shown in my first photo below. It contains various QR codes (see photo two) Which one am I supposed to link up to? Thanks.
Unless I'm mistaken, the QR codes are not related to the pairing of the module to your 'phone. The QR codes are just links to the different apps that you can use after you successfully pair your module (for example most here use Bimmercode). I can't comment on how to pair with an iphone but typically you would look to see what bluetooth devices are showing up on your phone and select the one you want to add (vLinker) then follow whatever instructions your 'phone gives you. If you need to enter a passcode, it is probably 1234.
Appreciate 1
      11-25-2023, 03:03 PM   #68
blueshead
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 G42 M240i XDrive

Quote:
I realize I am an analog man in a digital world. My first problem might actually be getting started. It does not seem to be pairing to my Iphone or Ipad.The tiny manual you mentioned is what is shown in my first photo below. It contains various QR codes (see photo two) Which one am I supposed to link up to? Thanks.
Hi J-RO, if it's the initial pairing you're talking about, I'm afraid I'm not an iPhone user so not very familiar with the pairing procedure. [SDKevin](contact:256315) puts it better than I ever could in comment #67. My vLinker passcode was 1234 too.
If you're struggling to get the firmware update started, you could skip that step to see if it might allow you to code ASS on it's current firmware revision.
When you get your iPhone paired follow the instruction from where it says...
"Disconnect the adapter, lock car - reboot phone. When phone restarts put it in Airplane Mode and enable BlueTooth. Kill any unnecessary Apps for the duration of the coding......"
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2023, 03:17 PM   #69
Pentland
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i (G42)

Quote:
You don’t pair it for an iPhone/ iPad in the same way as android. It does tell you this in the adapter manual. You just go to BimmerCode, in settings select the adapter and connect.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2023, 04:59 PM   #70
J-RO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

Thanks everyone for your help. I did not think the QR codes were necessary but when I was getting no where I thought I might have missed something. Unlike my OBDLinkMX+ the vlinker BM+ will not pair with my iphone so I thought that might be the problem but as per Pentland that is not necessary on an iphone. So the first time I plugged in the vlinker, went to Bimmercode connected and then began to code. Unfortunately, the ASS function/memoery remained the same. I will have to try a firmware update and see if that works. Fingers crossed!!
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2023, 08:59 PM   #71
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 BMW M240i

Pretty annoying that the license doesn't apply to all platforms. I recently switched to iOS from Android, after buying the app on Android.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2023, 12:45 PM   #72
blueshead
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentland View Post
I’m going to get that one blueshead (thanks) suggests. I have an older gate one but it doesn’t support all features. Note there’s a compatibility list in the bimmercode site.
How did this work out for you, as a matter of interest ?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2023, 12:54 PM   #73
TJZ67201
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPR View Post
Pretty annoying that the license doesn't apply to all platforms. I recently switched to iOS from Android, after buying the app on Android.
Ouch. Congrats on the switch but sucks u had to pay again
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2023, 01:03 PM   #74
blueshead
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Thanks everyone for your help. I did not think the QR codes were necessary but when I was getting no where I thought I might have missed something. Unlike my OBDLinkMX+ the vlinker BM+ will not pair with my iphone so I thought that might be the problem but as per Pentland that is not necessary on an iphone. So the first time I plugged in the vlinker, went to Bimmercode connected and then began to code. Unfortunately, the ASS function/memoery remained the same. I will have to try a firmware update and see if that works. Fingers crossed!!
Did you get a "Failed to Code" error" or what if any error does it report? I used to get that on my previous adapter.
Does your BimmerCode display show an available backup in the Engine Control Unit>Auto Start Stop function as in the top RH corner of the pic below?

Name:  failtocode.JPG
Views: 430
Size:  17.3 KB

If you decide to update the firmware - scanning the QR code on the side of the adapter box was a handy way of downloading the VGate Updater .apk, installing it and instigating the firmware update. (At least on Android).

Name:  QR.JPG
Views: 446
Size:  65.4 KB
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2023, 01:50 PM   #75
MPR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 BMW M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJZ67201 View Post
Ouch. Congrats on the switch but sucks u had to pay again
I miss android, and I didn’t bother buying it again, I’ll just code on my Android when need be.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2023, 02:21 PM   #76
Pentland
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i (G42)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshead View Post
How did this work out for you, as a matter of interest ?
Fine.
All modules available for coding which my old adapter didn’t access.
I don’t code much. Only changed the mirror dip angle and the volume of the lock chirp.
As said before I’ve never found ASS to be a hinderance or annoyance so I just let it do its thing.
Appreciate 1
      11-26-2023, 05:31 PM   #77
J-RO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshead View Post
Did you get a "Failed to Code" error" or what if any error does it report? I used to get that on my previous adapter.
Does your BimmerCode display show an available backup in the Engine Control Unit>Auto Start Stop function as in the top RH corner of the pic below?

Attachment 3330311

If you decide to update the firmware - scanning the QR code on the side of the adapter box was a handy way of downloading the VGate Updater .apk, installing it and instigating the firmware update. (At least on Android).

Attachment 3330287

I successfully updated the firmware today. It only took a few minutes. Tomorrow I will try again to code out the ASS.
Appreciate 1
      11-28-2023, 11:33 AM   #78
J-RO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I tried again today after following everyones instructions. No luck. If anyone has used the vlinker BM+ on a US model car and coded out the ASS let me know.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2023, 02:21 PM   #79
tagoo
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M240i xDrive

J-RO, I am in the same situation as you. I have a '24 US model and have tried coding out ASS using the BM+ on an iPhone. No luck so far. I have been able to turn off seatbelt warning and some other things but not ASS. I will continue to play with it.

Right now via Bimmercode my car shows:
Auto Start Stop function off by default: Active
Auto Start Stop function memory: Active
Auto Start Stop function in ECO mode: Not Active

I may try turning ASS in ECO mode to Active, just to see if that does anything.

Like you, I'd love to hear if anyone has been able to turn off ASS with this exact same setup.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2023, 02:38 PM   #80
J-RO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagoo View Post
J-RO, I am in the same situation as you. I have a '24 US model and have tried coding out ASS using the BM+ on an iPhone. No luck so far. I have been able to turn off seatbelt warning and some other things but not ASS. I will continue to play with it.

Like you, I'd love to hear if anyone has been able to turn off ASS with this exact same setup.
Thanks. I am on the verge of returning it unless someone comes up with the answer.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2023, 03:35 PM   #81
blueshead
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagoo View Post

Only thing I could suggest (and its only a guess) is that your settings may be conflicting with each other? Try -
Auto Start Stop function off by default: Not Active ( ASS needs to be active for memory function to work??)
Auto Start Stop function memory: Active (If active, ASS might then remember last state??)
Auto Start Stop function in ECO mode: Active (Let ECO mode control this)
Again, only guessing at this stage. It may well be a UK/US or a 23/24model year difference but I don't think it's a iOS/Android issue as there are UK owners who have coded ASS memory on both platforms.
Best of luck with it in any case - hope you can get it where you want it 👍
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2023, 04:02 PM   #82
tagoo
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M240i xDrive

Thanks Blueshead! I see your logic. I am planning to run a number of these scenarios to see if any combination of Not Active / Active provides the desired results.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2023, 04:51 PM   #83
J-RO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I gave up. Returned the Vlinker BM+ to Amazon. Maybe non-US vehicles have a different head unit. Mine says MGU, MGU F. For those with non US vehicles what head unit do you have?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2023, 04:58 AM   #84
Skeeter44
Private
Rep
Drives: e39 540i6

any idea if you can turn on or assign a button to resting/residual heat like the e90s used to have?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2023, 03:00 PM   #85
mattleegee
2024 G42 -BG-
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW m240i

Garage List
2024 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
I gave up. Returned the Vlinker BM+ to Amazon. Maybe non-US vehicles have a different head unit. Mine says MGU, MGU F. For those with non US vehicles what head unit do you have?
I just got done pairing the vlinker BM to my 2024 us model

Coded ASS but havent restarted to see if it remembered or not, actually came back here to see what else i should code

Also i coded out the volume pop up which is a very nice one to do

Now need to figure out to change the M to M240 on center dash and any advanced stuff, got a little scared reading Sarah in there so backed out
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2023, 05:57 PM   #86
J-RO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattleegee View Post
I just got done pairing the vlinker BM to my 2024 us model

Coded ASS but havent restarted to see if it remembered or not, actually came back here to see what else i should code

Also i coded out the volume pop up which is a very nice one to do

Now need to figure out to change the M to M240 on center dash and any advanced stuff, got a little scared reading Sarah in there so backed out
When you restart the vehicle I think you will be disappointed.
Appreciate 1
      12-02-2023, 07:11 PM   #87
mattleegee
2024 G42 -BG-
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW m240i

Garage List
2024 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Yeah I don't think I put ASS right I tried a few combinations but never stays on

The seat belt warnings, volume pop up and reverse mirror % all seem to work.

Cannot find instrument screen even though it was in demo mode
Appreciate 0