BMW M2 Forums 2023+ (G87) BMW M2 G87 General Topics

12-10-2023, 07:08 PM   #23
JABCAT
Professor
Rep
Drives: '23 M2 & '22 X3 M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ourlee View Post
Yup I’m on c8 gen discussion forum all the time. Like a 718, I’d be adding warranties as I go. I keep cars 7-8 years then give them to son 1 or 2
Then you've also read about the number of owners who have filed or are considering lemon law on their cars that have been sitting at dealers for weeks or months because they can't get parts.
Appreciate 1
ourlee933.50
      12-10-2023, 08:41 PM   #24
ourlee
Captain
Rep
Drives: on the M2 2025 hunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JABCAT View Post
Then you've also read about the number of owners who have filed or are considering lemon law on their cars that have been sitting at dealers for weeks or months because they can't get parts.
Even worse, accident cars are sitting too.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2023, 11:01 AM   #25
Lawsoc
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
I’m also going to drive a TT RS for the first time. I’m not ready to give up on analog just yet. I really with the Emira wasn’t so poorly built. That was by far my fav test drive
As in Audi TTRS ? now that is a car which I would describe not exciting to drive very bland yearh it has a little acceleration but doesn’t thrill . I was expecting so much more but it didn’t even manage to raise a smile from me. It’s laughable that they describe as the mini R8 nothing like R8 - see what you think when you demo it ….
Emira 💩 unless you like the thrill of getting left stranded, if the car starts first time, air con works, windwipers, radio pot luck, bubbling paintwork.
Appreciate 2
ourlee933.50
      12-11-2023, 11:09 AM   #26
ourlee
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawsoc View Post
As in Audi TTRS ? now that is a car which I would describe not exciting to drive very bland yearh it has a little acceleration but doesn’t thrill . I was expecting so much more but it didn’t even manage to raise a smile from me. It’s laughable that they describe as the mini R8 nothing like R8 - see what you think when you demo it ….
Emira �� unless you like the thrill of getting left stranded, if the car starts first time, air con works, windwipers, radio pot luck, bubbling paintwork.
I felt more connection to my tuned TT than to the M2. Surely the 5 cylinder adds something. I’ll find out.
And of course it weighs 600lbs less.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2023, 11:51 AM   #27
wj100
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 Supra 3.0

Came from a Supra and various M cars before that. I've had my G87 for 3 months now and I do think it can be pretty dull around town. It does everything well but just isn't very exciting unless you're hammering it...I don't track my cars but I'm actually considering it this time to try and extract more fun.
Appreciate 1
ourlee933.50
      12-11-2023, 12:40 PM   #28
MMMGuy60
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 23M2,Tesla M3,Triumph 765R

I have manual cars like Miata, Wrx, Mustang 5.0, C7 Corvette. The M2 is just as fast if not faster than the 5.0 or Vette. It does the same speed with much less "drama". It probably have to do with the size/weight. For me to feel some of the speed/drama, I have to rev the car out. Under 3k rpm, the car feels very very tame.

The G87 M2 is a mature/grown up car now. In some way, I kinda like it because it is so much easier to live with day to day. In other ways, I wish it's more wild.
Appreciate 1
ourlee933.50
      12-11-2023, 01:26 PM   #29
Can’tWait
Private
Rep
Drives: 16 Subaru STi, 24 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewNewM2 View Post
I get what OP is saying but I knew it going in. I’ve only had my M2 for 1 day but I’ve test driven HEA car and G80s and the power delivery is very linear almost like an NA car. You don’t feel the boost hit even though you’re hauling A. Even during break in trying to keep under 4k RPMs I’m doing like 80mph in 4th. These cars are going to be a bit docile at legal speeds. Very smooth and refined. Autobahn and track weapon but daily driving around town might feel uneventful.

Now on the other hand my flexfuel FP Green STi makes about the same whp as the M2 but there is no refinement. Shifts are super tight and short, the clutch is heavy and you know you’re going fast. The gearing is super short too so I’m doing 80 in 6th gear at 4k rpms.
That’s awesome ,I also have a flexfuel fp green 16 STi that’s a blast! Unfortunately Im trying to find the same experience or similar with bmw’s I sold my 22 m240i because I thought it was too boring to drive. Im hoping the 24 M2 on order will check all the boxes. Thanks.
Appreciate 1
ourlee933.50
      12-11-2023, 03:31 PM   #30
TheLegend
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

You guys pretty much echoing everything wrong about cars nowadays. Too refined, too insulated, too numb, too fast to the point where you have go triple digits speed to feel anything on the streets. It's why I got rid of my F82 M4, daily driving it I might as well have gotten a 4 series. I'm sorry but there's plenty of cars nowadays that do that including EVs. That's what I would want for a family car daily driver, but not when I'm looking for an engaging sports car to daily drive, but I realize that's exactly what a lot of people are looking for in the M2.

I still have my STI which I enjoy daily driving. It feels exciting and engaging to drive even if I am driving speed limit.
Appreciate 1
ourlee933.50
      12-12-2023, 03:21 AM   #31
Lawsoc
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can’tWait View Post
That’s awesome ,I also have a flexfuel fp green 16 STi that’s a blast! Unfortunately Im trying to find the same experience or similar with bmw’s I sold my 22 m240i because I thought it was too boring to drive. Im hoping the 24 M2 on order will check all the boxes. Thanks.
The M2 is a definite step up from G42 I only kept my G42 for 3 months, she went as soon as I had reached run in miles. Great car for commuting but a little lacking for a Fun w/e car, I don’t think you’ll be disappointed.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2023, 03:37 AM   #32
baj_baj
Private
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

Quote:
I’m also going to drive a TT RS for the first time. I’m not ready to give up on analog just yet. I really with the Emira wasn’t so poorly built. That was by far my fav test drive
I'm coming from a TT S, also drove an RS, -same but more power and 5cyl sounds.
For me the next car had to be manual and RWD, that's why the M2... The TT platform is super capable on the street, but it's a bit video game like. The DCT shifts great, the AWD keeps you glued and it's just too easy... On the track more of the same, but after a few laps the car is cooked. Maybe the RS is a bit more capable there.
The M2 once you turn off everything will bite you and keep you alert, but in day to day driving super comfortable and fun to row through the gears. For me it strikes a very nice balance. Even in traffic it's an occasion with the manual and buckets. The auto and normal M seats completely change the character of the car for me.
If you're coming from a swapped Miata, not even a GT3RS will feel raw enough
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2023, 06:50 AM   #33
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JABCAT View Post
Read up on the C8 transmission issues if you haven't already. As a Corvette owner, I wouldn't touch a C8. But that's just me.
I looked at a few “lightly used” C8 and was disappointed in how things didn’t seem to be holding up, like trim pieces, loose rear view mirror, body panels not lining up etc. I know everyone says it’s a super car bargain but I think it’s overpriced after actually seeing how poorly they seem to hold up. I’m sure the engine is pretty bulletproof though.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2023, 06:53 AM   #34
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I come from a tuned 2.5l transplant Miata then a tuned 350+hp base TT for reference. I would consider the M2 my first expensive luxury sports car. So with that in mind, I found the M2 extremely…….comfortable.
The m sport seat was super comfy, the interior was super luxurious, the clutch was really light and easy to use and the engine was smooth.
And here’s where the car is confusing me. Even with aggressive downshifts and hammering the throttle, it’s a bit of a non event. No doubt I was going fast, it just didn’t feel fast. I drove it in the setting just below track (sport+?) and honestly I’m not pleased with how it makes speed, it’s fast as F but it’s too silky for me.
Maybe this is what customers in this $ segment require and maybe I wasn’t ready for how luxurious the drivetrains are in cars like this.
For mods I’d do a mid pipe right away so I won’t repeat the standard too quiet talk and I’d also do port M HAS.
Moving on to the ride and steering, I have zero clue how any reviewer calls this car too stiff, compared to my past sports cars it’s a caddy. I was thinking 18/19 summer set but I’m keeping the 19/20 with aftermarket forged wheels.
I felt plenty of feedback in the steering wheel and it’s so quick but great on center.
FYI the car is a 2023 manual with 5k miles. I drove it for 30-40 minutes. We’ve all read some comments the ZF is a “better” fit for the M2 and that’s what I’d buy so when a used auto comes available, I’ll drive that.
In the meantime, I’m going to look more seriously at the C8 and 718S. My sales guy is also going to call me when M3 C xdrive becomes available to drive. I’m hoping to order a 2025 something this fall. Until I drive a ZF M2, it’s still number 1.
Cheers Rick
When things are smooth, it does somewhat take away from the sensations of speed or driving. I guess that’s why I consider the new M2 more of a compact GT than a sports car. When I drive my 911, although it’s well put together, there are sounds, vibrations and general sensations and that car cost twice as much as the M2.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2023, 07:45 AM   #35
ourlee
Captain
Rep

I’m seriously considering a base 991.2 sub $90k
LOVE the T but they cost $100k with 10k miles
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2023, 08:23 AM   #36
MisanoblueZ4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40I

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
I looked at a few “lightly used” C8 and was disappointed in how things didn’t seem to be holding up, like trim pieces, loose rear view mirror, body panels not lining up etc. I know everyone says it’s a super car bargain but I think it’s overpriced after actually seeing how poorly they seem to hold up. I’m sure the engine is pretty bulletproof though.
The DCT issues are going to sink that car post warranty, a lot of owners are openly saying they would not own C8 once warranty expires.
3LT (highest interior trim) has rampant delaminating issues, leather peeling from dash.
Appreciate 2
c1pher4701.00
ourlee933.50
      12-12-2023, 08:54 AM   #37
JG13
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E39 M5, G87 M2 6MT

I love how quiet and comfortable the cabin of my M2 is, but I definitely understand the desire for something a little more raw.

Which is why I'm never selling my track built E36 M3. Best of both worlds IMO
Appreciate 1
c1pher4701.00
      12-12-2023, 03:32 PM   #38
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I ended up spending less and getting an S.
Appreciate 1
ourlee933.50
      12-12-2023, 05:44 PM   #39
akhbhaat
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M318ti Type-R Turbo S

Quote:
Are you looking for a daily or a weekend toy? I bring this up because I understand your frame of reference, and I've had a couple Carreras (991/997) and they didn't stick. Same problem you're having with the M2: too refined, luxurious, relaxed. All-around, I was much happier with a track prepped GT4.

But that's as a dedicated weekend/track car. I would rate them differently as a daily.
      12-12-2023, 06:52 PM   #40
ourlee
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhbhaat View Post
Are you looking for a daily or a weekend toy? I bring this up because I understand your frame of reference, and I've had a couple Carreras (991/997) and they didn't stick. Same problem you're having with the M2: too refined, luxurious, relaxed. All-around, I was much happier with a track prepped GT4.

But that's as a dedicated weekend/track car. I would rate them differently as a daily.
It will be my only car daily driver including mild snow tire duty. My wife drives a (hated by me) cx5. We’re retired and I work part time and drive to the office 200 miles per week, summers off.
The car will go cross country (DE to LA) every summer to visit son 1. On the way I’ll hit tail, sisters, ouray etc and do 2 weeks of Malibu canyons and Angeles crest. I’ll also do beginner sessions at NJ Motorsports Park but the road-trip factor is the most important.
Driving this manana
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/4...-19e38bdbfe87/

Last edited by ourlee; 12-12-2023 at 07:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2023, 07:07 PM   #41
JABCAT
Professor
Rep
Drives: '23 M2 & '22 X3 M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
A kid on my son's high school water polo team has a '23 Stingray and came over today to check out my Callaway Carbon Edition Z06. The Stingray had misaligned body panels, the headlights appeared to sit a little crooked in their openings, and I just don't find them attractive even now 5 model years in. Up close it's easy to see they're not anywhere near "supercar" level. The only people that say that are C8 owners.
Appreciate 2
c1pher4701.00
      12-12-2023, 07:51 PM   #42
yuzu
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Sad to read all of this about the C8, I think it's super cool. That said the build quality of the G87 is top tier so far
Appreciate 1
ourlee933.50
      12-12-2023, 07:52 PM   #43
ourlee
Captain
Rep

Witness
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...blems-150.html
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2023, 08:51 PM   #44
BMR.WRLD
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 G87 M2 w/CF Pkg + MP HAS

I placed my order for the M2, fully loaded with the carbon buckets and M Suspension upgrade.
I'm coming from a 2020 Honda Accord making 480 wheel hp. It's a blast being a sleeper no doubt and can run a sub 9 sec 60 to 130.
I've been wanting a luxury sports car lately and I think the M2 will fit the bill. I've never driven a BMW or any sports car for that matter. I haven't even seen the M2 in person. So I kind of blindly went all in!
Appreciate 0