F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > F32 new front lip, middle support ?
proTUNING Freaks

08-06-2021, 04:08 PM   #1
Squibby1996
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F36 440i

F32 new front lip, middle support ?

Just fitted new fron lip, lost other one as middle support came loose front self tappers, how have other people fitted this middle support I know nut and bolt would probably be best but I'm guessing that's a bumper removal job to get the nut on the other side?

This time I've gone with 3m tape, and 3 long self tappers. Using the 3m tape aswell as when removing old splitter the side bits held on were cracked removing as the tape held so strong, so that combined with the self tappers should hold? Also screwing through the 3m should hopefully at as an anti-vibrate on the screws
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-06-2021, 05:25 PM   #2
visionaut
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435iX GC & 1976 2002

The M Performance splitter comes with this attachment hardware. The long T-shaped piece is for the center support. It slips in above the bumper from the rear edge (no need to remove the bumper), and retains the bolts through the splitter center support, helping distribute the load. The little extensions on the nut plates do likewise. The M Performance splitter is deeper than some aftermarket splitters, providing the reuse of the OEM bumper rear hardware attachment points.

So it’s all bolts with fixed nut plates above. No screws. Attachments installed via the rear, using the under bumper bolts (in front of the engine shield). Pretty sure it’s possible to make something similar out of cut thin alum plate to mount aftermarket splitters.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-07-2021, 05:36 AM   #3
Squibby1996
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by visionaut View Post
The M Performance splitter comes with this attachment hardware. The long T-shaped piece is for the center support. It slips in above the bumper from the rear edge (no need to remove the bumper), and retains the bolts through the splitter center support, helping distribute the load. The little extensions on the nut plates do likewise. The M Performance splitter is deeper than some aftermarket splitters, providing the reuse of the OEM bumper rear hardware attachment points.

So it's all bolts with fixed nut plates above. No screws. Attachments installed via the rear, using the under bumper bolts (in front of the engine shield). Pretty sure it's possible to make something similar out of cut thin alum plate to mount aftermarket splitters.
Yeah I'll have a look see if I can buy that bit seperate or look into making one, I did use nut and bolt allready on the side bits 2 each side as you can access that from loosening the arch liners. the way I've done it should be strong enough but can never be too careful
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2021, 10:59 PM   #4
2014F32435iMsport
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i Msport

I lost an aftermarket m performance replica due to the middle self tapping screws coming out as well. I used a bolt, washers and wingnut on my current lip and used long pliers to hold the wingnut while I scewed the bolt up tight. Had on for a year with no issues.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 03:30 AM   #5
Squibby1996
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014F32435iMsport View Post
I lost an aftermarket m performance replica due to the middle self tapping screws coming out as well. I used a bolt, washers and wingnut on my current lip and used long pliers to hold the wingnut while I scewed the bolt up tight. Had on for a year with no issues.
Where abouts did you fit the wing nut as doesn't look like there's space to get one in between the bumper ? Or did you put e nut above through the lower air vent?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2023, 06:00 PM   #6
Sprinterman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 touring

Mine was always dropping lower with vibration from the road and the screws wouldn’t hold. My solution was to undo the screws from the middle and sides, lower the splitter about half way to the ground, mix gorilla expoxy glue (not superglue) add the glue to both the mounting points, middle and sides, push the splitter back up then rescrew. Do one side at a time, push hard and hold it tight, the hard part is it may take 30 minutes of mind numbing pain to let it harden, easier in warm weather, not good in the cold, which is when I did it.try a heatgun or hairdryer to harden it if it’s winter. Then do the middle etc. mine is now bulletproof, it will never come loose again. Make sure to wipe the superfluous glue off before if hardens, a wet wipe will do