E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Help trying to find bolts/screw for cabin air filter box

08-20-2018, 10:36 AM   #1
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Help trying to find bolts/screw for cabin air filter box

I'm trying to find bolts for this as I lost one.

On Real OEM the part number I seem to find for it is Fillister head screw 07147118369 but googling it links to a silver Torx bolt that isn't very long when it should be a 8mm bolt.

Anyone know?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 04:19 PM   #2
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
I'm trying to find bolts for this as I lost one. On Real OEM the part number I seem to find for it is Fillister head screw 07147118369 but googling it links to a silver Torx bolt that isn't very
long when it should be a 8mm bolt.
I took the time to examine this JUST to learn the Use & Limitations of RealOEM.com

As I read the RealOEM catalog page below, the 6 fasteners that hold the Upper Microfilter Housing are all the same: Fastener #19 on the diagram, which is described as: 19 | Fillister head screw | 07147118369 (as you state). My 328xi has 4 bolts holding the rear of the housing to the two plenum openings, and 2 bolts forward that secure the front, for a total of 6 instead of "4 required" as stated in the diagram. An 8mm socket is used to remove/install. They are NOT Fillister head. BUT, neither is the diagram of part #19 in the RealOEM page.

When I look up that part in the RealOEM catalog for my model, I get exactly the same info. SO, either the part# is wrong, or the "Fillister head" description is wrong (or maybe BOTH? ;-) My bet is that the part# is correct and either they (or I ;-) don't correctly understand what a Fillister head screw is.

When I search part# 07147118369 in RealOEM.com, I get this page:
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/par...&q=07147118369

That shows all the places you could check to see if the screw is the same, or to rob one for comparison/replacement purposes.

I would just measure the length and thread diameter with a caliper, measure thread pitch with a thread gauge, reinstall with the 5 screws you have, leaving out one of the two fronts (you want to make sure the rear plenum bolts are there & snug to prevent water getting into blower, etc.). Then get a bolt of the measured specs at Home Depot or such. Doesn't matter head type/size of course (though it would be nice if all matched on something you regularly remove & reinstall).

OR you could order it from getbmwparts.com for $1.87 plus shipping (will work if you order some other parts too). Its shown as reference #2 in the diagram on this page, and it appears to have a hex head ~ 8mm:
https://www.getbmwparts.com/oem-part...lt-07147118369

The simplest tasks can get difficult when the people who do the detail work of editing parts catalogs make mistakes. You'll find the lost screw in your splash shield some day.

George
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 04:38 PM   #3
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
I took the time to examine this JUST to learn the Use & Limitations of RealOEM.com

As I read the RealOEM catalog page below, the 6 fasteners that hold the Upper Microfilter Housing are all the same: Fastener #19 on the diagram, which is described as: 19 | Fillister head screw | 07147118369 (as you state). My 328xi has 4 bolts holding the rear of the housing to the two plenum openings, and 2 bolts forward that secure the front, for a total of 6 instead of "4 required" as stated in the diagram. An 8mm socket is used to remove/install. They are NOT Fillister head. BUT, neither is the diagram of part #19 in the RealOEM page.

When I look up that part in the RealOEM catalog for my model, I get exactly the same info. SO, either the part# is wrong, or the "Fillister head" description is wrong (or maybe BOTH? ;-) My bet is that the part# is correct and either they (or I ;-) don't correctly understand what a Fillister head screw is.

When I search part# 07147118369 in RealOEM.com, I get this page:
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/par...&q=07147118369

That shows all the places you could check to see if the screw is the same, or to rob one for comparison/replacement purposes.

I would just measure the length and thread diameter with a caliper, measure thread pitch with a thread gauge, reinstall with the 5 screws you have, leaving out one of the two fronts (you want to make sure the rear plenum bolts are there & snug to prevent water getting into blower, etc.). Then get a bolt of the measured specs at Home Depot or such. Doesn't matter head type/size of course (though it would be nice if all matched on something you regularly remove & reinstall).

OR you could order it from getbmwparts.com for $1.87 plus shipping (will work if you order some other parts too). Its shown as reference #2 in the diagram on this page, and it appears to have a hex head ~ 8mm:
https://www.getbmwparts.com/oem-part...lt-07147118369

The simplest tasks can get difficult when the people who do the detail work of editing parts catalogs make mistakes. You'll find the lost screw in your splash shield some day.

George
Thanks for that thorough reply!

I did more research afterwards and if you look at some diagrams on other cars, it shows that the original 8mm nut is a ENDED part, which is disconnected and that new torx bolt should fit into the holes.

Only thing that sucks is that bolt is gray and not black don't know why they did that lol now it doesn't match the plastics?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 09:32 PM   #4
BMWinAZ
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i, ‘08 328i, ‘03 316ti

Garage List
Paint the head black.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 09:41 PM   #5
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWinAZ View Post
Paint the head black.
Yeah probably will do that got a can laying around.

Just I don't see how new cars have those ugly silver screws, it musn't look nice?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 09:52 PM   #6
Bali
E46 Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 E84 F15

Quote:
Yeah probably will do that got a can laying around.

Just I don't see how new cars have those ugly silver screws, it musn't look nice?
Just use some of your black fingenail polish.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2024, 09:29 PM   #7
E90907
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 330xi

Smile Specs of the bolts

Quote:
Thanks for that thorough reply!

I did more research afterwards and if you look at some diagrams on other cars, it shows that the original 8mm nut is a ENDED part, which is disconnected and that new torx bolt should fit into the holes.

Only thing that sucks is that bolt is gray and not black don't know why they did that lol now it doesn't match the plastics?
Hello I was wondering if you knew the specs of the bolts for the cabin air filter so maybe i can find them at a local store instead of ordering them, i know the thread is a few years old.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2024, 10:35 PM   #8
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90907 View Post
Hello I was wondering if you knew the specs of the bolts for the cabin air filter so maybe i can find them at a local store instead of ordering them, i know the thread is a few years old.
It's not a normal thread. It's like a wood screw thread
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2024, 02:49 AM   #9
E90907
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 330xi

Quote:
It's not a normal thread. It's like a wood screw thread
would you know if home depot or somewhere like that would have them?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2024, 07:43 AM   #10
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
No it's a special screw
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2024, 10:41 AM   #11
BRG_N54
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Green '07 & Arctic '08 335i's

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
This is what it looks like, I got a few from my local BMW dealer.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2024, 12:10 PM   #12
LanDzia
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRG_N54 View Post
This is what it looks like, I got a few from my local BMW dealer.
I recently bought exact same as my originals destroyed threads.
These are slightly wider and make a new thread. Sits perfectly.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2024, 01:30 PM   #13
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanDzia View Post
I recently bought exact same as my originals destroyed threads.
These are slightly wider and make a new thread. Sits perfectly.
Yeah I used them at first they worked but over time for me some threads started letting go. I'll have to try them again on this different car that I now have tho and see how it goes. Or actually just do what others have been doing, put some epoxy in the hole so that you can just create new threads with the same bolt.
Appreciate 0