F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 2019 430i F33 hi-beam and adaptive headlight malfunction
Extreme Powerhouse

12-18-2022, 06:35 PM   #1
silviacrazed
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 430i x-drive convert

2019 430i F33 hi-beam and adaptive headlight malfunction

Hi everyone, I need some help solving an issue I'm having with my wife's 2019 f33's adaptive LED headlights. When I turn on the high beams, they both illuminate briefly and then the right high beam turns off. The dashboard chimes and I get a "right high beam malfunction" message. After a few seconds I then get an "adaptive headlight malfunction" message as well. The adaptive headlights work fine with the low beams. How do I go about diagnosing this issue? I'm seeing there is a "Headlight Control Unit Module" (BMW part# 63118494844) for these headlights. I've also seen articles saying these modules have to be coded when they're replaced. I have a decent degree of mechanical ability (I've pulled an engine/transmission before), but I don't know a ton about the coding side of modern BMWs. I've been out of the BMW realm since the e46. Any help solving this issue would be greatly appreciated! TIA!
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2022, 04:53 AM   #2
Solidjake
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Poland
Rep
Drives: '13 328i Msport 6MT

First thing I would do it remove the wheel on that side, take off the fender liner (8 or 10mm nuts) and inspect the wires going to the headlights. Usually the wires on the harness chaff and get worn out/exposed wires which can create those electrical problems on headlights.

Apex SM-10/DWS06+ | 400m/X-ice Xi3 | Injen Exhaust | Stoptech SS Lines | 335 Front Brakes
Hawk HPS 5.0 | RBF600 | ER Charge Pipes | Wagner Evo Comp 2 FMIC
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2022, 06:03 PM   #3
silviacrazed
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 430i x-drive convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
First thing I would do it remove the wheel on that side, take off the fender liner (8 or 10mm nuts) and inspect the wires going to the headlights. Usually the wires on the harness chaff and get worn out/exposed wires which can create those electrical problems on headlights.
I checked all the wiring and it looked fine. Guess I'm onto something more complex.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2023, 01:53 AM   #4
julian204
Private
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330e

Take a look in this thread: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...ight=high+beam

I also had a right high beam malfunction issue, although not exactly the same as you describe it. Only fix for me was to replace the right headlight itself.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2023, 02:53 PM   #5
SkytMil99
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i F36

I am currently having the same issue with my 2019 F36. However, as I have been trouble shooting it. The error only occurs after the engine warms up. Last night I was driving after the car sat all day, the high beams worked fine for the whole ride until the temp gauge started increasing.

I took it the local BMW service center when I first starting getting the error and they were able to see the error codes on the computers history. However, the error never occurred while they were diagnosing it. All they suggested was to purchase a new head lamp unit and module. Just under $4,000. I'm having a hard time accepting the replacement idea since it works as it should when the engine is cold or off.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2023, 09:43 PM   #6
The Airman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviacrazed View Post
Hi everyone, I need some help solving an issue I'm having with my wife's 2019 f33's adaptive LED headlights. When I turn on the high beams, they both illuminate briefly and then the right high beam turns off. The dashboard chimes and I get a "right high beam malfunction" message. After a few seconds I then get an "adaptive headlight malfunction" message as well. The adaptive headlights work fine with the low beams. How do I go about diagnosing this issue? I'm seeing there is a "Headlight Control Unit Module" (BMW part# 63118494844) for these headlights. I've also seen articles saying these modules have to be coded when they're replaced. I have a decent degree of mechanical ability (I've pulled an engine/transmission before), but I don't know a ton about the coding side of modern BMWs. I've been out of the BMW realm since the e46. Any help solving this issue would be greatly appreciated! TIA!
I don't think it would be your headlight assembly as the lights illuminate up briefly.

Similar to when you buy your garanteed 25,000 hour LED bulb for your lamp at Home Despot, and it burns out in a week. Its not the LED chip, it's the circuitry.

Here's a picture of my module accessed by a little door in the fender well. Notice all that beautiful Pennsylvania road slop all over it ?

Name:  100_1894 copy.JPG
Views: 585
Size:  540.2 KB

You would need to pull the wheel and part of the inner fender well to access it full. Not a hard job. I don't think it'll need "coded". That is sometimes a buzz word that get thrown around a lot.

As an aside, I finally sealed up my front inner fender wells with waterproof marine tape, and I noticed now I don't get one drop of dirt in my engine bay. I was going to do a thread on that but just got lazy.

2021 i3s AC Schnitzer
BMW CCA #67486
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2024, 07:36 PM   #7
ccqwerty
Registered
Rep
Drives: 340i

What was the fix new headlight?
Appreciate 0