E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > USB Radio music Reboots

06-01-2024, 05:22 PM   #1
Eric Margarit
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i Convertible

USB Radio music Reboots

I have a 2011 BMW 328i convertible and I'm having a problem when I connect my phone to USB and play music it works fine for like 5 min and then it makes a loud noise the radio display turns off and reboots and just goes back to playing after it reboots but then it constantly happens after every like 30 seconds. Aux and FM radio works no problem its just USB but, please let me know if you have a solution for this, thank you.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2024, 07:11 PM   #2
CMatre15
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i

Hey Eric, I have been having the same issue on my 2011 e90. The answer I keep seeing is that it has to do with the COMBOX being bad. At this point for me unless I could get a 100% answer that its the COMBOX I am continuing with the work arounds I have found.

From what I notice on my car, is that it only POPS and REBOOTS if the song title does not appear. (It will play normally for me if the song title is shown, or a song title is shown, sometimes the screen doesn't change with the song). If the song is not appearing what I have found is if you hit the RANDOM(RND) button and the checkmark appears and then hit it again so the checkmark disappears the song title will popup and the system does not reboot. So my recommendation is to pay attention around a song change and verify that the name appears. It seems like it has something to do with the song the maybe not being recognized at first from the car and it auto reboots trying to fix the issue, but I do not know completely.

Hopefully this can be helpful to you!
Appreciate 1
      06-02-2024, 05:47 AM   #3
ptpending
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e81

2011 cars with Professinal radio can do USB without combox, internally. And the cable from armrest is then routed directly to headunit.
It is not big deal to remove radio and look for think black cable routed to separate HSD port.
So in this case
first option is to try to upgrade radio firmware,
second is try to get same radio from used market, but look to higher firmware versions on radio label
the third option is to install external combox and move USB and Bluetooth functionality to combox via coding.
      06-04-2024, 11:14 AM   #4
Eric Margarit
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpending View Post
2011 cars with Professinal radio can do USB without combox, internally. And the cable from armrest is then routed directly to headunit.
It is not big deal to remove radio and look for think black cable routed to separate HSD port.
So in this case
first option is to try to upgrade radio firmware,
second is try to get same radio from used market, but look to higher firmware versions on radio label
the third option is to install external combox and move USB and Bluetooth functionality to combox via coding.
I don’t have Idrive would I still be able to update firmware and how?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2024, 04:38 PM   #5
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

There are many variation's of the Pro Radio we never got the one with USB in the US as far as I know.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=687463

4 variations on the Radio reported in the above.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1036190

Last edited by ctuna; 06-04-2024 at 04:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2024, 05:55 PM   #6
ptpending
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e81

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
There are many variation's of the Pro Radio we never got the one with USB in the US as far as I know.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=687463

4 variations on the Radio reported in the above.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1036190
there was a radio with Sirius and USB
here is example
https://www.ebay.com/itm/234355986433
the Sirius radio is only for US cars.
      06-13-2024, 09:40 AM   #7
Eric Margarit
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMatre15 View Post
Hey Eric, I have been having the same issue on my 2011 e90. The answer I keep seeing is that it has to do with the COMBOX being bad. At this point for me unless I could get a 100% answer that its the COMBOX I am continuing with the work arounds I have found.

From what I notice on my car, is that it only POPS and REBOOTS if the song title does not appear. (It will play normally for me if the song title is shown, or a song title is shown, sometimes the screen doesn't change with the song). If the song is not appearing what I have found is if you hit the RANDOM(RND) button and the checkmark appears and then hit it again so the checkmark disappears the song title will popup and the system does not reboot. So my recommendation is to pay attention around a song change and verify that the name appears. It seems like it has something to do with the song the maybe not being recognized at first from the car and it auto reboots trying to fix the issue, but I do not know completely.

Hopefully this can be helpful to you!
Do you know if the radio pops and restarts if there is a song title but it’s not the right one, or does it only pop if there is no song title?
Appreciate 0