E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Outlet VANOS Error Mystery

06-20-2024, 03:21 PM   #1
JonEQuest
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Convertible 2007 335

Outlet VANOS Error Mystery

Out of the blue about 2 weeks ago I started getting "2A87 Outlet-Vanos variable cam control test mechanics" with "3100 low bocst mode engaged - CEL displayed" errors. Sonfar I habe tried these things.
* Removed and cleaned vanos filters
* Swapped exhaust VANOS with another spare I have
* Changed my oil. I use Euronspec oil and Mann filters.

I also completely rebuilt this engine about 5 years ago due to a bent rod, when it had 75k miles on it. I have since put another 35k on it with no problems. I change the oil every 3-4k, etc. P.S
When I rebuilt I did use the newer teflon cam seals. I am just trying to nail this down and what to see of there is anything else I can check before pulling the valve cover, etc. I guess it could be the cam phaser bolts thing but this is a 2007 N54. For some reason I think those problems were in later models. Maybe not.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2024, 08:56 AM   #2
TyroneShoelaces
Captain
Rep
Drives: E91 N54 swapped

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEQuest View Post
Out of the blue about 2 weeks ago I started getting "2A87 Outlet-Vanos variable cam control test mechanics" with "3100 low bocst mode engaged - CEL displayed" errors. Sonfar I habe tried these things.
* Removed and cleaned vanos filters
* Swapped exhaust VANOS with another spare I have
* Changed my oil. I use Euronspec oil and Mann filters.

I also completely rebuilt this engine about 5 years ago due to a bent rod, when it had 75k miles on it. I have since put another 35k on it with no problems. I change the oil every 3-4k, etc. P.S
When I rebuilt I did use the newer teflon cam seals. I am just trying to nail this down and what to see of there is anything else I can check before pulling the valve cover, etc. I guess it could be the cam phaser bolts thing but this is a 2007 N54. For some reason I think those problems were in later models. Maybe not.
I get the code occasionally as well but I've never done seals or ledges. I'm assuming it's the problem but I was also going to replace the cam sensor above the vanos as a last ditch cross your fingers maybe it's that. I think the sensor is easily tested but it's like $11 to replace.
Appreciate 0