E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs) > PPF Common Mess Ups?

06-20-2024, 09:02 AM   #1
BeamerBen
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2025 M4 Competition xDrive

PPF Common Mess Ups?

I just dropped my G82 off the get a Full PPF and this is the first time I have gotten PPF on a car. What are some common mistakes that appliers will make and I need to look for when I go to pick it up?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2024, 09:46 AM   #2
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Depends what the expectations of the installer were. Did you ask for edges to be wrapped? If so, check the edges and corners to see that they were not cut short and that enough overhang was left so that edges don't peel up. Also any stretch marks where the film may have been over-stretched to cover over an edge. It may not be evident right away, but over-stretched ppf will give you odd reflections and orange peel'ish look in certain light.

Look for bubbles and keep an eye on them. Water bubbles are pretty normal and will evaporate, but if there is any air in them, it will not go away. The installer would have to use a syringe to pop it and pull the air out...heat up and press it down. No big deal. On that same topic, look for any contaminates that may have found their way under the film. Those will show up as a small air pocket that you can't get out.

Look for any damage! A razor is used in many areas to cut the film and get as close to the paint as possible...always a possibility for error and a nice gouge in your paint (uncommon but does happen).

Finally, just wait. You won't be able to find everything when you pick it up and the film needs time to dry. Your shop will likely tell you to come back in 2-3 weeks and have a follow-up to see how everything is sitting, and address any bubbles or imperfections you have found. I generally use some green painters tape and stick little pieces wherever you find areas of concern. Oh and take pictures! Documentation of any issues is key.
      06-22-2024, 02:43 PM   #3
MADBMWX5MC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5MC

All great advise there...signs of a good installer, is what was mentioned above...the installer will ask you to come back in a few weeks to check their work. The one I used, asked me to do that and then completely detailed the X5 inside and out as part of the service.

Last edited by MADBMWX5MC; 06-23-2024 at 06:37 AM..
Appreciate 2
Burrcold6238.50
      06-25-2024, 10:51 AM   #4
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.70]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamerBen View Post
I just dropped my G82 off the get a Full PPF and this is the first time I have gotten PPF on a car. What are some common mistakes that appliers will make and I need to look for when I go to pick it up?
Contamination/Things trapped under neath the paint is probably the biggest one along with lifting edges.

If you used colored PPF instead of clear, if they let it fold or crease it will be permanent.

Look for edges that aren't clean cut or jagged or cut too short.

Look for any paint damage if they had to do any custom cuts on the car.

I wouldn't worry too much about water bubbles or air bubbles since they will syringe it out.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0