E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Engine Replacement: Crank No Start (No power to DME)

06-17-2024, 11:17 AM   #1
Sprusinski
Rep
Drives: Lemans Blue E92 335i M-sport

Engine Replacement: Crank No Start (No power to DME)

Hi guys,
I need help with a crank no start issue on my 2009 BMW 335i (WBAWB73579P158828)

I purchased the car as a shell that had the manual swap removed with plans of installing my 8 bolt n54 from my parts car. I have oil in the car and everything hooked up except for coolant. The car will crank over but shows no signs of firing or running. My OBD reader will not connect to the DME so can't scan codes. I believe the DME is not receiving power. I've checked and the DME main relay is getting power and I tried replacing it with a spare with no luck. I grounded the engine with jump cables and still no luck.

There is pressure at the rail although the injectors are not firing. Have not checked spark. When the ignition is on the fuel pump stays on and will not shut off. INPA is no help due to not being able to connect to the DME. Any idea what could be the issue? I've heard of people having this issue when swapping engines but I haven't been able to find a resolution.

Perhaps it's a bad DME? The DME is MSD81. I have a spare MSD80 from my 08 335. Could I plug that in and see if I can connect INPA? I'm at a loss trying to figure this out.

Last edited by Sprusinski; 06-18-2024 at 08:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2024, 01:43 PM   #2
Sprusinski
Rep

Update:

I did some more digging and noticed the CAS was not bolted where it should be. I also noticed I have a tamper dot on my dash which leads me to believe the CAS has been swapped with a different one. For all I know the DME is incorrect too.
This afternoon I am going to swap the CAS, DME, and cluster from my 08 parts car that I've hear run so I know they are good. Maybe this will solve things. I'll follow up once I change it over.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2024, 08:38 AM   #3
Sprusinski
Rep

Solved:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprusinski View Post
I did some more digging and noticed the CAS was not bolted where it should be. I also noticed I have a tamper dot on my dash which leads me to believe the CAS has been swapped with a different one. For all I know the DME is incorrect too.
This afternoon I am going to swap the CAS, DME, and cluster from my 08 parts car that I've hear run so I know they are good. Maybe this will solve things. I'll follow up once I change it over.
After work I decided to swap CAS DME and Cluster from my shell and was able to get the engine to fire. I realized I forgot to plug in 5 of the injectors but I got it firing on all cylinders after that. Still having trouble communicating with the OBD2 port but the car runs.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2024, 09:38 AM   #4
TheBratPrince
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i xDrive

Thanks for your post. Going thru same thing now with my 2011 328i
Appreciate 0